What Can I Tow?

dabill1987

Afternoon,

Firstly i'd like to apologise for this, as i suspect you'll all groan at the topic heading.

but ill persevere. ..

what can i tow?....

I'm looking to buy my first caravan, and I've been looking at my options. .

I drive a Audi A6 2. 7 TDI Quattro

Unladen weight 1936kgs

MAM 2445kgs

GTW 4355

I passed my test after 1997 so i can tow a max of 3500kgs including my car. ..

Now assuming my car if fully laden i can only tow 1055kgs Max allowable weight for a caravan, which for a 4 berth and my budget is very restricting. ..

So i would like to know, if i were to purchase a heavier caravan with a max allowable weight of say 1450kgs, and combined with my car it still weighed under 3500kgs, would this be OK in the eye of the law? basically im reducing the amount of luggage we'll take in expense of a bigger caravan?

If someone could clarify this for me, or even advise where I'm best contacting I'd be very grateful, I've looked on the HMRC, VOSA and DVLA websites, and all are fairly clear, but i'd just like it to be crystal clear. ..

Many thanks in advance. ..

Edited by dabill1987

You've made one assumption too many so far.

Although it may be possible that the maximum towable mass is a simple as taking away the MAM of the Tow vehicle from the Gross Train weight, this isn't always the case.

You should see first of all what the max towable mass (braked) is for your car, this will either be on the V5C or in the handbook.

This will tell you what the maximum amount you can tow is, a combination of this mass and what your car actually weighs will then need to be below the Gross Train Weight.

As for what you are allowed to tow on your licence this is based on the plated weights, so on your figures the caravan could not be plated higher than 1055 kg for you to remain within the terms of your licence.

So, because it based on the plated weights you would need to extend your licence categories to tow more.

Edited by Towtug

The law would look at the plated gross maximum weight of the caravan or trailer plus the maximum gross weight of the towing vehicle and if the combined weights exceed 3500kg you may be fined and points on your driving licence.

They do not take into consideration that the caravan is empty and the vehicle has only one occupant and no luggage. However others may come along with better and more techincal advice.

To give yourself a better choice of caravan, why not do the B+E test as that opens up a whole new market where you can even consider a twin axle caravan.

Thanks guys, that's clarified it, now i know its based on the plates, i think i'll either look at downgrading the car to an A4 or similar, or look into the B+E test. ... although i think the test might be the way forward. ..

just for info the max towable weight of my car according to the handbook is 1900kgs on an 8% and 1800kgs on a 12%

thanks for the fast reply!

It can be done on a b licence but it needs careful checking weights on the plates to keep under the 3500 kg .

The Mondeo is one favourite with about 2200 kg GVW and a 1300 kg caravan . Estates usually have higher a GVW so a hatchback or saloon is better.

Dave

Whilst the B+E route is the one that frees up the options I can well understand for someone yet to gain any caravan towing experience, it must be a rather intimidating prospect.

Maybe, buying something used just to slip under the chop off point and get some initial experience, but not take too large a financial hit when changing post getting the B+E, could be the way to play this.

As others have said playing with under loading the permitted weights is not a solution.

The cars towing figures, whilst must be kept within are no guide for a trailer the shape of a caravan. The better guide is to keep nearer 85% of the car's kerbweight. Here the ratio is the caravan's maximum weight over the car's kerbweight, though getting a sensible idea of that undefined kerb value is yet another challenge!

Edited by JTQ

yes you will struggle finding anything light enough to tow as the car is plated to tow so much. As others have already mentioned it is plated weights that are looked at. . not actual weights. I am in the same boat as you with only a B licence. I manage it with a lighter car and an Old Lunar van that is also considered fairly lightweight plated at 1200. if i wanted a newer van or heavier car I would be looking at taking the B+E test

Thanks guys, that's clarified it, now i know its based on the plates, i think i'll either look at downgrading the car to an A4 or similar, or look into the B+E test. ... although i think the test might be the way forward. ..

just for info the max towable weight of my car according to the handbook is 1900kgs on an 8% and 1800kgs on a 12%

thanks for the fast reply!

Rather spend the money getting the B+E and a better caravan as it will probably cost less if the car is a good one and reliable. Will you be buying a caravan privately or from a reputable dealer as the latter may be the better option for a newbie to caravans as you are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for any issues that may arise and can reject the caravan within the first 30 days if it is not satisfactory.

Yep, "Plated" weight is what to look for - we used to own a box trailer - 700kg's empty - but unto 2700kg's laden - and it's this higher weight that is used for the licence - even if towed empty, it's still 2700kg's.

Do the B&E - I did / had too - our rig is a max "plated" weight of 4850kg's! ha! Just a smidge over 3500!

Do the test and basically buy whatever van you fancy with the big audi you could even get a big twin axle van and still be on the right side of the 85% brigade.

I would imagine doing the test would be considerably cheaper than changing your car.

what can i tow?....

I'm looking to buy my first caravan, and I've been looking at my options. .

I drive a Audi A6 2. 7 TDI Quattro

Unladen weight 1936kgs

MAM 2445kgs

GTW 4355

I passed my test after 1997

Max towing limit for car is 4355(GTW) - 2445(GVW/MAM) = 1910kg

Max caravan MTPLM (MAM) on a B licence = 3500(MAM limit) - 2455(GVW) = 1045kg

Hope that helps

Hello, my neighbour has recently taken the b+e test, he said it cost him £600 but it was money well spent as he then didn't have to change his car, also not restricted as to choice of van.

Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you decide.

you should be able to pull a small country with that car :o)

as has been said before - go for B+E, and have fun picking anything you like . ...