Sign in to follow this  
David P

New To D S L R

Are you near to the famed "Mach Loop" Dinas Mawddwy area then David? I remember the first time I was walking in that area enjoying the total tranquility when suddenly and without any prior warning the peace was ripped apart by a low flying jet fighter. I nearly hit the ground in fright!

Beautiful moon shot especially as it's hand held. You did say in your OP that you were new to your DSLR. I was wondering if you are aware of the recommendation that you turn off image stabilisation if mounting your camera on a tripod.

I only learned this after many slightly blurred shots of the Moon with my camera on a tripod. I still forget to do it sometimes though.

You are correct-ish!! Depends on maker! I cannot speak for other makers but later Canon lenses eradicate the feedback loop and on half shutter press, if there is no movement, the IS is temporarily disabled.

For Canon users, the following technical bulletin explains how it works and which lenses etc.

http://cpn. canon-europe. com/content/education/technical/image_stabilization_lenses. do

Edited by SamD

I sold all my L lenses including 100-400 and got very good money for them but regretted it ever since.

Couldn't manage with the RX10 so picked up a 6d at a good price (new one 6dII just out) and a couple of Ls: 24-70 & 70-200 at bad prices!

Edited by SamD

You are correct-ish!! Depends on maker! I cannot speak for other makers but later Canon lenses eradicate the feedback loop and on half shutter press, if there is no movement, the IS is temporarily disabled.

For Canon users, the following technical bulletin explains how it works and which lenses etc.

http://cpn. canon-europe. com/content/education/technical/image_stabilization_lenses. do

An interesting article indeed. Every day is a school day.

I have an Olympus OM-D EM-1 with the excellent in body stabilzation and a Nikon D750 which utilizes lens stabilization. I can confirm that I have to turn the stabilization off on both of these when using a tripod.

Does Canon's "Special Mode" feature on all of their stabilized lenses or just their premium range?

I have an Olympus OM-D EM-1 with the excellent in body stabilzation and a Nikon D750 which utilizes lens stabilization. I can confirm that I have to turn the stabilization off on both of these when using a tripod.

Does Canon's "Special Mode" feature on all of their stabilized lenses or just their premium range?

The article at page 2 gives a list of only four lenses without this facility - 2 x L lenses and 2 others. Seems a very short list, however. I thought there would be more.

• Like 1

Are you near to the famed "Mach Loop" Dinas Mawddwy area then David? I remember the first time I was walking in that area enjoying the total tranquility when suddenly and without any prior warning the peace was ripped apart by a low flying jet fighter. I nearly hit the ground in fright!

Beautiful moon shot especially as it's hand held. You did say in your OP that you were new to your DSLR. I was wondering if you are aware of the recommendation that you turn off image stabilisation if mounting your camera on a tripod.

I only learned this after many slightly blurred shots of the Moon with my camera on a tripod. I still forget to do it sometimes though.

Hi SCP1959.

Sorry for not getting back early. But have been busy with photos and work! To answer your question the Loop is about 2hrs away. I live in South Wales LFA7 South, not mid North LFA 7 which the Loop is part of. We do get some traffic, but not the amount we used to get some 10/15 years ago. Have you seen my post of a Hawk at the Loop last Tue 18/07/2017, we were also at Faiford (RIAT) on the Monday for the Grand Depart. Some good images, but nothing like the Loop, where you are above the aircraft. For those that would like to see more Google The Mach Loop.

• Like 1

On my Canon 760D, I have turned the half press off on the shutter release, it is now assigned to the LH rear button, which is operated by your thumb!

Edited by David P
  • Like 1

To understand what I mean have a look at this link. OK Canon biased!

https://youtu. be/c3XwhOfnnQA

• Like 1

After years of building up a sizeable Nikon collection, I came to the same conclusion and bought a Fujifilm XT-1 last year. Great camera and top quality lenses but not the best kit for macro photography, sadly. So I've kept the Nikon D300 and some lenses for that. The DSLR still feels so reactive and positive compared with EVF mirrorless models like the XT-1 but the size and weight benefits are worth having.

Great moon pic, OP. Hand-held. . . well done.

Thanks for that!

I have done it the other way, from 2 bridge and a pocket Fuji to Canon DSLR. I am with you on the Fuji and I wont part with my bridge or pocket, they have a purpose, that I need.

On my Canon 760D, I have turned the half press off on the shutter release, it is now assigned to the LH rear button, which is operated by your thumb!

Mine's top right - you can't take one-handed portrait shots with your method. :blush:

Sign in to follow this