New Pickups For 2017

The Mercedes-Benz cars are moving away from V6 - back to straight-6 - maybe the "old" V6s are getting a new lease of life in commercials?

I thought that the V6 was more efficient than a straight 6. In my youth many of my cars like the Zephyr MkII, Holden etc were straight 6. Powerful and plenty of grunt but heavy on fuel however at under 3 shillings a gallon not really an issue as I could fill up the tank for under a tenner.

• Like 1

I thought that the V6 was more efficient than a straight 6. In my youth many of my cars like the Zephyr MkII, Holden etc were straight 6. Powerful and plenty of grunt but heavy on fuel however at under 3 shillings a gallon not really an issue as I could fill up the tank for under a tenner.

Dad had a Zephyr when I passed my driving test as a 17 year old, but it was only a Zephyr 4! My mate's dad had similar, but a Zodiac, and that had the big engine. I could never get on with the column gear lever. We also had a Morris 1100 - used that for my test - that was much easier to drive.

Sort of back on topic, I've just seen a mini pickup on the A420. Now that looked fun.

Theres more to towing reasonable weight than pick ups.

How can a pick up be more useful than a dualiner/Kombi/crewcab is a mystery to me, and we've had an L200 and a Navara. I have close family thats a Ford Commercial salesman, good deal on a Ranger???, no thanks.

Been looking at pickups for a while for various reasons but it's down to a choice of two, Navara and Ssangyong Musso. Both have multilink rear suspension. Test drove the newest L200 I can only liken it to a Defender 110 with a few more toys as the ride was awful. The Navara is streets ahead but forward visibility makes it difficult to place, the Musso feels similar to the Nissan, very car like and comfortable, the front end is better but you know you're in a slightly down market vehicle. We go for contract hire for all our vehicles and despite the Musso being considerably cheaper to buy the hire costs don't really reflect this making the Nissan a better prospect. I've got a few weeks before I have to make a decision so a couple more test drives are in order.

I remember reading a while back that the format of an engine, whether straight, V, W or H makes little or no difference to efficiency. The real differences are shape (will it fit under the bonnet?) and balance. And, of course, balance goes hand in hand with vibration. From experience, a straight 5 is smoother than either a straight 4, V6 or V8 but not as smooth as a straight 6. Of course the ones I have driven or been in may not be typical.

The main benefit of a V6, over a straight-six is that it's more compact - a V6 is more complex, so more expensive to balance adequately because of the uneven firing intervals on each bank - as well as the uneven exhaust pulses in each bank.

Modern engines are designed with common cylinder design and machining - so that I3, I4, I6 can all be built on the same production line.

I remember reading a while back that the format of an engine, whether straight, V, W or H makes little or no difference to efficiency. The real differences are shape (will it fit under the bonnet?) and balance. And, of course, balance goes hand in hand with vibration. From experience, a straight 5 is smoother than either a straight 4, V6 or V8 but not as smooth as a straight 6. Of course the ones I have driven or been in may not be typical.

V8s are way smoother than an I5 - the balance issue of others is clouded by expensive split-journal cranks which achieve balance where it doesn't occur naturally.

I've heard lots of Volvo 5-cylinder diesels - and driven one - they all sound like old tractors to me.

Edited by Black Grouse

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

V8s are way smoother than an I5 - the balance issue of others is clouded by expensive split-journal cranks which achieve balance where it doesn't occur naturally.

I've heard lots of Volvo 5-cylinder diesels - and driven one - they all sound like old tractors to me.

Not my experience, which only came from a limited drive of a V8 compared to ownership of a petrol straight 5. Must have been a rough V8!

BG has got that to a tee,could,nt have put it better myself but just to add. For a vee engine to work it has to be of a certain size for the amount of cylinders. For example a 2litre v6 diesel would be very ineffiecent. No valve area due to a small bore and the stroke would be a cock up. Another problem is the big end journal width,with two rods sharing one journal the area can become very narrow.

Not my experience, which only came from a limited drive of a V8 compared to ownership of a petrol straight 5. Must have been a rough V8!

Straight-sixes are very smooth - but to gain even more, Rolls-Royce/Bentley changed to a V8 back in 1959, still good enough for the Bentley Mulsanne in 2017 and beyond.

This is why the new Ford Ranger falls down against the Navara V6 3. 0 ( 550 nm ) as the 3. 2 straight 5 cylinder (470 nm ) has not got the torque .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

This is why the new Ford Ranger falls down against the Navara V6 3. 0 ( 550 nm ) as the 3. 2 straight 5 cylinder (470 nm ) has not got the torque .

Dave

That's surely more likely due to differences in the boost map - rather than a configuration difference.

My neighbour had a 57 reg Navarra which has been bought back by Nissan due to chassis corrosion! Not very good.

Apparantly loads have been repurchased for this. He now has a Mitsubishi L200.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

My neighbour had a 57 reg Navarra which has been bought back by Nissan due to chassis corrosion! Not very good.

Apparantly loads have been repurchased for this. He now has a Mitsubishi L200.

There are also problems with chassis's cracking I read .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

There is a recall in Australia, lots of info on the web, the RAC are checking them, they did my neighbours which has now been taken away.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)