2017 Commodore

48 minutes ago, Ian McH said:

All going very well with our January 2017 Commodore.

Just turned 10,000 miles and 235 nights. 3rd service booked for November and a first this year of not having a list of small warranty jobs.

Went to the Consett open day at the weekend. Good to see the disliked shelf has gone for 2020. Still with LF seating and the Alde control panel in silver.  Interesting that 2020 Buccaneer's RRP is approx £3000 more than the same 2017 specification van.

Hi Ian. Similar story here as we head toward our 3rd year service in the Spring. No faults found after about 100 nights this year and it's been a delight.

I do remain concerned about water pooling on the roof around the stargazer and behind the rear roof light but damp readings are less than 15% everywhere. When not in use I store the van nose up to promote drainage.

I look forward to publishing my 3rd year report.

We are off to show in October and are glad the ridiculous shelf has gone but so has the externally accessed  cupboard under the island unit? This is a shame as I find it invaluable.

So the only 'innovation' I'd like is the improved worktop surfaces. Not much to covet then.

Cheers

Graham.

• Thanks 1

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

• 1 month later...

Well. Had our 3rd year service carried out today albeit seven weeks early.

Not good. We have a faulty leaking offside awning rail giving 41% damp from the rail join just above the front side window leaking down to making the wall boards darker either side of the joining strip between the offside window and the worktop. We also have 27% damp reading in the offside rear corner somewhere near the corner cupboard.  A long list of parts required are being sent to Hymer for an under warranty claim. Thank goodness we checked that the third service has to be carried out before the anniversary date. Gutted to say the least.

Yes we had our 3rd year service. Damp found round offside wheel arch again (no access to the nr side wheel arch so goodness knows whats happening there) also damp right at the bottom of the front offside window under the rubber. Also most of the strips coming off the wall panels. Service guy recommend just going over them with a hairdryer. 

5 hours ago, CraigP2005 said:

Also most of the strips coming off the wall panels. Service guy recommend just going over them with a hairdryer. 

We had our wall panel strips replaced earlier this year under warranty.

18 hours ago, Ian McH said:

We had our wall panel strips replaced earlier this year under warranty.

You will be lucky if they stay on for another year.  LOL!

On 17/11/2019 at 15:45, Durbanite said:

You will be lucky if they stay on for another year.  LOL!

The way its going it may not be our worry !

Had to pick me up off the floor when I started looking at PX figures.

16 hours ago, Ian McH said:

Is that in a good way??

If no damp selling privately I would think that you could expect about £23k for a 2017.  I assume that you will be transferring the motor mover as dealer will not offer anything extra in most cases if it is left on?

Sorry to hear of damp problems Ian.

As I have reported,  as yet we are all sub 15% but I do have an ongoing worry about the roof behind the extractor fan. I have had 2 occasions where I have taken down the internal roof panel, once to repair the Stargazer blind and recently to check on some water ingress through the extractor fan which I could not resolve or repeat in rain conditions including towing in the wet.

However despite the good damp readings in this area I am concerned about rust around the screws on the panel fixings behind the extractor.  I hope pictures make it clear. Certainly something that has been in evidence for a year and seems to be slightly worsening. I will be pressing the dealer to refit the extractor at next service I think.

Graham.

20191112_100655.jpg

20191112_100415.jpg

20191112_100342.jpg

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

On 21/11/2019 at 12:27, Durbanite said:

If no damp selling privately I would think that you could expect about £23k for a 2017.  I assume that you will be transferring the motor mover as dealer will not offer anything extra in most cases if it is left on?

My first van with a motor mover after 40 years towing. The couple of times I have used it I wasn't impressed even in a straight line.

1 hour ago, GB1309 said:

Sorry to hear of damp problems Ian.

As I have reported,  as yet we are all sub 15% but I do have an ongoing worry about the roof behind the extractor fan.

Graham.

Had a look at the awning rail but couldn't see anything drastically amiss, cannot understand the high damp readings as it is stored under cover in an open fronted 20 bay unit. Decided we are going to see what it is like after being repaired. Still love the van and layout. After looking around there is nothing on the market to better it.

1 hour ago, Ian McH said:

Still love the van and layout. After looking around there is nothing on the market to better it.

Absolutely agree. We intend this van to be our keeper, as with the D4 we've had for almost 8yrs. After 4 Van's since 2011, sticking finally makes economic sense! Plus we don't know the future for towing big vans given the pollution issues.....and the likely knee jerk reactions to them.

But that has been well covered on another thread.?

• I agree completely 1

Sorry to report 39% damp reading 2 inches astern of the extractor fan housing and 20 to 30% elswhere along its edge.

Further out (I.e. where you can get to with the roof lighting panel still installed) it was about 20%.

Reported it to dealer with photographs. 

I'll post 'progress' as it occurs.

Sorry to be joining the damp club but quite confident that a removal and refit of the extractor housing should sort it. There is no apparent decorative damage.

I'll get them to have a careful check around the Stargazer whilst they are af it.

Graham.?

5 hours ago, GB1309 said:

Sorry to report 39% damp reading 2 inches astern of the extractor fan housing and 20 to 30% elswhere along its edge.

Graham.?

Sorry to hear you are now a member of the damp club, hope you get it sorted soon.  I sent our dealer an email this week to enquire how our warranty claim was progressing. Even though the claim has been sent apparently it takes up to four weeks for Erwin Hymer to approve and respond !!!

We are away this weekend with the heating on full blast with my damp meter at the ready to record readings.

On another point. I fitted Tyrepal sensors (Valve cap type) the other day whilst the van was in storage, after hooking up today discovered we had a flat tyre. Jacking up wouldn't be a problem but I didn't have a wheel brace ? Not sure if one is supplied and I've misplaced it but we don't have one. Had to go back home for my footpump before setting off again. Must get a wheel wrench to carry in the van. Ian.

Must get a wheel wrench to carry in the van. Ian.

Keep an eye out for Aldi tool deals Ian.

I carry one of their torque wrenches in the Commodore and on the one occasion I had to use it in earnest found it a great solution. You will have to furnish a suitable socket as well of course.

Jim

11 hours ago, Ian McH said:

Even though the claim has been sent apparently it takes up to four weeks for Erwin Hymer to approve and respond !!!

We are away this weekend with the heating on full blast with my damp meter at the ready to record readings.

Hi Ian. Thanks for commiserations! Yes, it'll be interesting to see what sort of response I get. One thing I can rely on is the dealer's application, they are very reliable and prompt to date with any repairs.

It is interesting to note that unless I had taken down the decorative/light panel that I would not have found readings above 20% (as indeed the dealer reported at last service). Note this for your own measurements.

I think this is only a slow leak where the mastic sealant has failed, hence not too concerned. As I have previously said, we store the van very nose up so there is no pooling on the roof. Of course when we are out in it in the glorious British weather we are level and there is a reservoir up there. Not much we can do about that.

Double whammy this week as after 8yrs of unscratched ownership of the Discovery I rubbed it affectionately against a cast iron lamp post, luckily only busting the front OS over wing plastic mud guard. (£80 + vat in primer)+(£140 + vat painting)+(£0 DIY fitting).

Worse things happen at sea.:(

Graham.

9 minutes ago, jampot said:

Keep an eye out for Aldi tool deals Ian.

I carry one of their torque wrenches in the Commodore and on the one occasion I had to use it in earnest found it a great solution. You will have to furnish a suitable socket as well of course.

Jim

+1

Never leave home without one and a full tool compliment.

Hi Graham,

Thank you for the heads-up re damp around the roof vent, thats a new area to look out for.

One of our front window hinge bar screws decided to let in water recently. It was not immediately obvious until i pulled the widow rubbers back and then got meter into the bare wood of the window cut-out.

May be worth having a close look at yours so it can be re-fitted at the same time as they fix the vent?

The hinge bar was unfixed at each end although still very tightly adhered in the centre. 

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

22 hours ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

Hi Graham,

Thank you for the heads-up re damp around the roof vent, thats a new area to look out for.

One of our front window hinge bar screws decided to let in water recently. It was not immediately obvious until i pulled the widow rubbers back and then got meter into the bare wood of the window cut-out.

May be worth having a close look at yours so it can be re-fitted at the same time as they fix the vent?

The hinge bar was unfixed at each end although still very tightly adhered in the centre. 

Thanks VV. I'll have a look at that.

I sometimes think it a pity that 'progress' has meant flat roof Van's are now the norm where of course the older style curved/sloped units were obviously better drainage wise. 

Graham.

On 30/11/2019 at 10:41, GB1309 said:

It is interesting to note that unless I had taken down the decorative/light panel that I would not have found readings above 20% (as indeed the dealer reported at last service). Note this for your own measurements.

I think this is only a slow leak where the mastic sealant has failed, hence not too concerned.

Never leave home without one and a full tool compliment.

Interested to hear how the decorative/light panel comes off ?

I usually have a large socket set on board but as we were only going 40 miles sods law I left it at home.

Had the chance of using a weighbridge the other week. Commodore very lightly packed but had the awning under the bed, one Safefill gas bottle, a dozen wooden levelling blocks, two ehu cables. Found the van to be 10% over MTPLM. Noseweight of 165kg. My trusted steed Nissan Pathfinder was well under weight on both axles and GTW so a lot more of our essential bits will be stored in the 4x4 for travelling. Be interesting to weigh the Commodore in a few weeks again once she has been on a strict diet.

I usually have a large socket set on board but as we were only going 40 miles sods law I left it at home.

Had the chance of using a weighbridge the other week. Commodore very lightly packed but had the awning under the bed, one Safefill gas bottle, a dozen wooden levelling blocks, two ehu cables. Found the van to be 10% over MTPLM. Noseweight of 165kg. My trusted steed Nissan Pathfinder was well under weight on both axles and GTW so a lot more of our essential bits will be stored in the 4x4 for travelling. Be interesting to weigh the Commodore in a few weeks again once she has been on a strict diet.

We carry the awning in the vehicle, one EHU cable and only have had the need for 2 levelling blocks.  Blocks should not be needed all round with self levelling. 

22 hours ago, Ian McH said:

No spanners needed Ian. There is a crosshead screw securing an angle bracket which is accessible under each of the LEDs which you first  just prise out and leave them hanging. (No need to take them off although Lucar type connectors are on each one if you want to.)

You will need helper to support one end  of the board as you work along. There is a push together plug and socket at the front which powers the whole thing. Quite simple really. Finding somewhere to put it when you get it down is not so simple!

Graham.

Weight issue in next post.

• Thanks 1

Hi again Ian,

Weighed on delivery 1910kg

Incl mover/wastemaster/

diamond locks/Battery

Spreadsheet snap attached for your amusement.

image.thumb.png.1abe86f98eba31bb6d3dfd3d240780db.pngBuccaneer Commodore 2017

image.png

Re damp in roof issue.

Dealer is having it in on 16th December.

Graham.

• Haha 1

Graham the wastemaster is included in the MIRO as comes standard with onboard tank.  Also included in the MIRO is 20kg gas cylinder so you have 1kg to spare.  LOL!  :D

Why the fan heater and Bulldog clamp?

7 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Graham the wastemaster is included in the MIRO as comes standard with onboard tank.  Also included in the MIRO is 20kg gas cylinder so you have 1kg to spare.  LOL!  :D

Why the fan heater and Bulldog clamp?

Coo! I'll not tell Mrs Chief about the extra 1Kg, she'll have a list of candidates!

Bulldog clamp is used on the offside as a visual (i.e. not in the awning) deterrent whilst we are on site as per the insurance requirement to have one wheel lock on.

I don't use the BPW nearside locks whilst on site because I made a detachable wheel arch panel as part of the side skirt fitting. It's made of hard plastic with an awning rail channel screwed on so the skirt slides right through, so the prongs on the BPW locks would foul it

The fan heater is an emergency measure in case of total heating failure, it also has a fan only cold mode which Mrs Chief likes to use for personal cooling during rare hot spells.

Cheers

Graham

Hi all, first time on here for a while.

Last weekend we said goodbye to our Commodore it had been a fantastic van with only minor (ish) issues, rear brake light that wasn't sealed and crack on the hekki rooflight being the two biggest issues. But after 3 years she who must be obeyed felt it was time to change.

After a very short time looking for a replacement we decided the only way to replace a buccaneer is with another buccaneer. So on Saturday we towed home our new 2020 Cruiser, so far I have to dispite my best efforts I am yet to find anything wrong. 

Lets hope this is a sign of things to come.

• Like 1

Never understood why anyone would want to sit in a white box in field looking at other white boxes.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.