Sign in to follow this  
Ian McH

2017 Commodore

It is not a case of "getting their bit back" as I understand it it's a case of they own the asset until paid for in full and it must be "fit for purpose" is the resoning if the s**t hits the fan.

OK. Thanks. I'll check this out.

I guess you could consider the interest element of the loan as an insurance premium. Seems a bid sad to be insuring against such a failure but my experience tells me it might be prudent to do so.

Mrs Chief is adamant that if this one fails badly we are going straight for rejection, refund and then go find Simon645's old Cameo 645 and have it reupholstered! Happiness at half the price of new.

GB.

I guess you could consider the interest element of the loan as an insurance premium. Seems a bid sad to be insuring against such a failure but my experience tells me it might be prudent to do so.

Mrs Chief is adamant that if this one fails badly we are going straight for rejection, refund and then go find Simon645's old Cameo 645 and have it reupholstered! Happiness at half the price of new.

GB.

Straight from Black Horse:

By law, goods sold must be of satisfactory quality and fit for the

purpose for which they were intended. Where there is a credit

agreement in place the finance company has a responsibility for

the quality of the goods and to resolve any disputes where the

goods are not of the required standard.

• Like 2

GB.

Ha ha nice one

My old Bessacarr Cameo 2013 645 was the best van on the road at the time IMO, but now the Buccaneer Cruiser is for us. Nothing is faultless in life, we all just have to protect ourselves and our property the best we van in the world we live in.

Happy Buccaneer caravanning to you all.

i was considering selling the swift privately and banking the Equity, then buy the cruiser on a PCP.

i was considering selling the swift privately and banking the Equity, then buy the cruiser on a PCP.

Having enquired with the Black Horse guy at the open day on PCP the consensus was it was good if you wanted to keep your equity or did not have a large deposit, having built up a good equity over many years I didnt want to have it handed back and pay interest on a balance.

It's always a good idea to sell your partx privately as it should attain more than offered by the dealer. No harm in trying as you will know the partx figure offered.

• Like 1

we had the figures for a PCP quoted, and all it did with a substantial deposit was lower the monthly outgoing and lose all your equity over the period ( as your probably aware), we was trying to get to having the least amount of money tied up in it when all goes pear shaped. Unfortunately that shows our confidence.

Ha ha nice one

My old Bessacarr Cameo 2013 645 was the best van on the road at the time IMO, but now the Buccaneer Cruiser is for us. Nothing is faultless in life, we all just have to protect ourselves and our property the best we van in the world we live in.

Happy Buccaneer caravanning to you all.

Ha ha to you Simon!

I thought that one would draw you out.

Your perspective might be unique. You sold a van you had cherished and your first Buccaneer appears to have been a joy. We should have you stuffed and mounted in a glass case!

Seriously though, I'm sure we all aspire to replicate your experience. I'm hoping this will be it for us. As mentioned above the van's have a Svengali quality and I can only hope the promise is born out in the reality of ownership.

4th time lucky!

GB.

• Like 1

I'm hoping this will be it for us. As mentioned above the van's have a Svengali quality and I can only hope the promise is born out in the reality of ownership.

4th time lucky!

GB.

Having had Two Lunars, One Sterling and Two Bailey's all in the last ten years I suppose I am looking for the perfect van, now does that exist. I hope sixth time lucky in ten years will come to fruit in the commodore. Had French side beds, Island forward facing beds and transverse middle bed now a transverse rear bed with center bathroom maybe just maybe we have it right for us.

Edited by Speedy15
  • Like 3

Straight from Black Horse:

By law, goods sold must be of satisfactory quality and fit for the

purpose for which they were intended. Where there is a credit

agreement in place the finance company has a responsibility for

the quality of the goods and to resolve any disputes where the

goods are not of the required standard.

This is exactly my point, you only need to have a small amount of the caravan on finance (I think it is minimum £200 but tbh Black Horse wd probably not do an agreement for such a small amount as the return for them is not worth it) but they may do one for say £1000. Once thats in place then they are equally liable for the standard of the caravan as the supplying dealer (note not the manufacturer) but you may find Black Horse will have more persuasive powers over the dealer (and in turn the manufacturer) as it is their legal obligation as per Speedys above quotation. So trade the van in / pay all but £1000 in cash if that is your chosen payment method but always put at least the minimum amount on finance (ideally with someone with the industry respect of Black Horse). They are as liable for the whole caravan if you finance £1k as they are if you finance £30k as no one can prove which "bit" of the caravan they have financed unless its all financed. Pls do look at this carefully and consider it when buying (wouldn't get too hung up with paying interest if you financed £1k as interest rates are dirt cheap and I believe these are fixed rate deals once you sign them up so you haven't even got the concern of rates rising - huge reassurance for v little cost)

• Like 3

GB.

Once you have used it, it is very difficult to make the decision to reject. Another way to look at finance is to compare the interest paid in comparison to paying for an extended warranty.

Edited by Durbanite
  • Like 1

Once you have used it, it is very difficult to make the decision to reject. Another way to look at finance is to compare the interest paid in comparison to paying for an extended warranty.

Not the same apple, you need to compare apples for apples :-)

VV- is spot on. I could of had £100 HP loan from Black Horse but wanted a longer term of five years.

Not the same apple, you need to compare apples for apples :-)

VV- is spot on. I could of had £100 HP loan from Black Horse but wanted a longer term of five years.

What I was trying to say is that if you buy an extended warranty it is about £300 per year so after the 3rd year if the caravan is on HP for 5 years, the cost for the extended warranty is £600. If the amount of HP is low you will be paying a lot less than £600 in interest depending on the APR rate. Ours is 6. 9% so yours should be simiulair.

• Like 2

Its strange that when we finally get the money together for a Brand new caravan which should be the best thing ever to happen That half of this thread is taken up with things that can go wrong and how to combat in the event. Things like taking out finance or paying on credit card then transfer for zero interest for extra protection really should not enter into it.

Are new caravans really that prone to problems and are dealers really that bad at sorting them should they arise, If this is the case why do we buy new.

I bought our first caravan 5yrs ago and had my doubts about buying second hand but in fact it was the Best thing I ever did we have had such a great time with no problems at all.

Now I have a New caravan on order and Im beginning to wonder if I have done the right thing.

Its strange that when we finally get the money together for a Brand new caravan which should be the best thing ever to happen That half of this thread is taken up with things that can go wrong and how to combat in the event. Things like taking out finance or paying on credit card then transfer for zero interest for extra protection really should not enter into it.

Are new caravans really that prone to problems and are dealers really that bad at sorting them should they arise, If this is the case why do we buy new.

I bought our first caravan 5yrs ago and had my doubts about buying second hand but in fact it was the Best thing I ever did we have had such a great time with no problems at all.

Now I have a New caravan on order and Im beginning to wonder if I have done the right thing.

Only you can decide if you have done the right thing. New caravans are like anything that you buy new. You could have a faulty TV out of the box in the same way that you could have a new caravan that pees in water through the roof at the first sign of a rainstorm.

Members on here who have bought new caravans over the years have probably noticed a trend towards manufacturer and dealer apathy when it comes to quality control. Of course, no manufacturer sets out to provide a faulty product, and no dealer sets out to sell one. How they deal with the faults when they arise is how they will be judged.

Yes, we have a warranty on our new caravans, but sometimes getting faults sorted are not as timely as we would like, or we as consumers meet with some resistance regarding faults and repair. It is when this happens that we have the ability to use all the tools at out disposal to obtain a resolution, and if that means giving the CC company or Finance Company a prod then that is what we should do. We are fairly well protected as consumers now, but every little helps!

Edited by alistairr
  • Like 2

What I was trying to say is that if you buy an extended warranty it is about £300 per year so after the 3rd year if the caravan is on HP for 5 years, the cost for the extended warranty is £600. If the amount of HP is low you will be paying a lot less than £600 in interest depending on the APR rate. Ours is 6. 9% so yours should be simiulair.

We have just bought a BMW 335d touring x drive, the BMW finance offered was Apr 10. 9,

After haggling with the dealer Apr offered was 6. 7. Saving a lot of money.

Just a point that All finance is negotiable.

• Like 2

Just as Alistairr has said the extra protection taken out at point of sale is for after the manufacturers warranty expires, most items are only warranted for one year. It just gives the consumer an extra voice if required, hopefully it will not be needed but we do not have a crystal ball unfortunately.

• Like 1

I think that the main thing to remember is that you paid £30k for the caravan so in fact to get the microwave in the caravan it cost you £30k for the microwave as all items are an integral part of the caravan. If an item fails after 3 or 4 years, use the Consumer Rights Act or SOGA if an older caravan prior to Oct 2015.

1 Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i. e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

2 Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

A few years ago we were living in our caravan permenently and put in a claim for a replacement mattress. It was rejected so we submitted a claim using SOGA based on the fact that one woudl expect a mattress to last longer than 4 years and that the clause regarding warranty and using the caravan for residential purpsoes was an unfair clause. The mattress was replaced free of charge.

We got a lot of good advice from Trading Standards and forums however the point is that you can still submit a claim after the 1 or 2 year warranty has expired as the warranty is a contract between the manufacturer and the dealership and not between the consumer and the manufacturer.

I often wonder about the 10 year water ingress warranty as you cannot use the regulations to get a damp repair after the initial 6 year warranty period has expired. How would you go about getting a damp repair down in the years after the 6 years if the dealership refuses?

Only you can decide if you have done the right thing. New caravans are like anything that you buy new. You could have a faulty TV out of the box in the same way that you could have a new caravan that pees in water through the roof at the first sign of a rainstorm.

I have no doubt that I have made the right decision and Im fully aware that anything you buy may have an issue this is why we have consumer rights and the Law.

Personally I don't do finance, loans or credit cards, its just the way I am. So in the event of a problem I will have to sort it out myself using my rights under the Law.

Its just that from what I was reading I am more likely to get a problem with a new caravan than a new Tv or anything else. My only concern is that in order to secure the best deal I bought from a dealer that is not too close to me but then again there are not to many that are. Im sure we will have a good long happy relationship with them.

• Like 1

I have no doubt that I have made the right decision and Im fully aware that anything you buy may have an issue this is why we have consumer rights and the Law.

Personally I don't do finance, loans or credit cards, its just the way I am. So in the event of a problem I will have to sort it out myself using my rights under the Law.

Its just that from what I was reading I am more likely to get a problem with a new caravan than a new Tv or anything else. My only concern is that in order to secure the best deal I bought from a dealer that is not too close to me but then again there are not to many that are. Im sure we will have a good long happy relationship with them.

I share your views on cards and finance in principle. I suppose we hope that when we get to a certain age we should have learned to "gauge our guts by our gets" as granddad used to say. However the added protection provided by finance company involvement is worth exploring, particularly if like us, you have had bad experiences. You can't know at the outset what value this might bring as obviously you don't know what faults you might get, if any. Like you I am once again steaming into the unknown with the hope that'll it'll work out well this time. I'm just not sure of how many life belts to take with me. Feedback so far on the 2017 models is good but it's early days. When I go up to the show in Feb I'll have a word with Black Horse and make a decision then.

GB.

• Like 1

Thanks GB its good to discuss options and one should never refuse good advice. I would be a perfect world indeed if we didn't have to worry about the what if's.

We will be at the show in February spending even more money kitting out the new van, something we missed out on when we bought the last one as it came with everything included. Perhaps we will bump into each other.

*UPDATE*

Arrived at Leisure World, Catterick caravans at the agreed time and the Commodore was sitting proudly all hooked up ready for inspection and handover. Well impressed with the Commodore and Catterick. The shelf pack had to be fitted into the cupboards we wanted them in, there was a small bit of wood glue on the front window drawers and a bit of silicon on the outside on the silver sides, both were dealt with very efficiently, the two pigtails were fitted for the gas bottles. Plenty of coffee offered while we waited for it all to happen once we were happy I had to face the painful part of handing over the debit card (ouch). :rolleyes:

Towed 30 miles south and arrived on Boroughbridge CCC site for the night. All the bits n bobs unloaded from the car and I went to fill the aquaroll, filled the inboard to find the drain was open, lost the lot :-(

Fridge on, heating on, oven on, all great. The OH say's the oven is very hot certainly more than the Bailey.

Very happy :D, no complaints or faults found, 180 miles home tomorrow see how that goes.

Edited by Speedy15
  • Like 7

*UPDATE*

Arrived at Leisure World, Catterick caravans at the agreed time and the Commodore was sitting proudly all hooked up ready for inspection and handover. Well impressed with the Commodore and Catterick. The shelf pack had to be fitted into the cupboards we wanted them in, there was a small bit of wood glue on the front window drawers and a bit of silicon on the outside on the silver sides, both were dealt with very efficiently, the two pigtails were fitted for the gas bottles. Plenty of coffee offered while we waited for it all to happen once we were happy I had to face the painful part of handing over the debit card (ouch). :rolleyes:

Towed 30 miles south and arrived on Boroughbridge CCC site for the night. All the bits n bobs unloaded from the car and I went to fill the aquaroll, filled the inboard to find the drain was open, lost the lot :-(

Fridge on, heating on, oven on, all great. The OH say's the oven is very hot certainly more than the Bailey.

Very happy :D, no complaints or faults found, 180 miles home tomorrow see how that goes.

Glad to hear you are as happy with yours as we are. The only other small complaint we have is the alarm key fob panic button. I seem to be able to set the alarm off every time the keys are in my pocket.

I keep telling my wife I am just testing the system, but I don't think she believes me after the 20th or so time.

Haven't experienced the key fob problem myself but it seems that at least three of us are happy with our Commodore purchase.

• Like 2

Haven't experienced the key fob problem myself but it seems that at least three of us are happy with our Commodore purchase.

Like the gas bottle changeover, took a bottle of pink to fill the flush but you dont have a tank, self levelling is just pure bliss, it was very dark when we parked on the pitch and spitting, placed the van nose down and pressed the levelling button, we just stood back and watched amazed at the simplicity. Offside light great in the dark, nice touch. Having to up the Alde temp to 29 to have a comfortable heat tonight, I'm sure that can be calibrated though.

Edited by Speedy15
  • Like 2

There is a temp offset adj available for the alde heating. After picking my van up I found it set to +5. I found it reasonably close when set to -2. Although as I have previously posted i find it does a better job of telling me the temp inside the cupboard it's mounted on. Also had to switch on the current load limiter.

• Like 1