Bulldog Stabiliser, How Loose Should Slip Pad Be

mazdavdk

afternoon all. I bought my van in the summer and it came with a blade stabiliser (bulldog 100Q) that i have not been able to use as i did not have the towbar bracket.

I have since sourced one, and although the van tows ok i would like to start using the blade stabiliser for piece of mind and to stop some of the pitching and yaw movement.

I am looking at the bar not yet fitted to the van and have a question about the slip pad the blade does not fit very snugly into it and i am worried about it popping out. is this normal and the act of the blade pushing down on the pad is enough to keep it in place or should the slip pad fit tighter to the blade?

thanks in advance

I believe it's the downward pressure of the blade that retains it in the plastic slipper. The bracket on the A-frame needs to be set within defined vertical limits. See http://www. saundersonsecurity. co. uk/acatalog/100Q_Inst. pdf

It's many years ago that I used a Scott leaf blade stabiliser which was the original design upon which more recent stabilizers were based. From memory the slipper pad was quite a loose fit for the blade to sit in but since when applying the stabilise, the blade had to be lifted around 6" from its relaxed position, the downward pressure was sufficient to keep it in place. Also the slipper pad needs to be fitted around 6" from the end of the leaf.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

You should be able to place the blade in the slipper ok. The pressure comes when you apply the short tube lever to the round stub on the pressure pad, and lever it down 90 degrees.

Your chassis bracket should be a clamp on type, as early ones were bolted through the chassis A frame, before this was stopped. Some brackets have multiple holes in, to allow for height adjustment of the slipper.

I've still got an original set of instructions- I'll see if I can locate them for you

thanks everyone, it makes sense what you are all saying i was just a little concern it would be too loose. Chrisn7 don't worry about the fitting instructions, thanks for the offer but i downloaded them from the Bulldog website.

Since you have the instructions now, there is a section about setting up the correct torque. Being second hand, I would dismantle the friction pad. Dust builds up between the friction material and the plates and can results in groaning noises, which were widely reported when these were current. I don't know if the friction material is asbestos free, so don't blow the dust off. The friction pads may have a glazed look so a light rub over with some wet and dry paper will restore the surface.

Its a good unit and IMHO better that todays hitch types but is more inconvenient to use.

I made my first one. I used a Landrover leaf spring for the arm. The friction pads were 4. 5" dia cut from 10mm Ferodo. The bolt through the middle was 14mm and fitted with a bell washer. My "measure" of the torque was to put the connection plate in the vice and use all my upper body strength to move it!

I made one based on a Scott and I used to clean my pads yearly, quite a bit of lifting to insert it into the runner but it worked well,

heres a link that may help https://www. caravanclub. co. uk/media/1022775/stabilisers-mo. pdf

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I asked a similar question on here a while back and was informed the torque was 60ft/lbs or 27kg.

Hope this helps

thanks everyone for your replies, fitted over the weekend and it all seems to work ok.