I Need A 5th Wheel Moving.

phil1041

Bit of a long shot this, but i need a towcar/truck capable of moving a 5th wheel with a dry weight of 3900kg.

I believe this rules out the Navarra, just wondered if anyone on here either has a vehicle capable, or knows someone who would be willing to either hire me the truck, or take the job on.

I have had a couple of quotes so far from moving/towing companies, and quite frankly, they were ridiculous.

The trailer needs towing to southern Spain.

Anyone help please?

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Moving a 4 ton van to S Spain would cost 1,000's in my opinion. Is this the one you bought new recently?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Yes and yes!!

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Commercially Phil any vehicle would be subject to tachograph, hours limits etc. They cost a fortune to run as well and Spain and back is a long old way.

A cheaper option may be to buy a suitable vehicle, do the trip then flog it when you get back? That way you won't be subject to all the red tape and costs a commercial operator would be.

Edited by John W

Yes John i realise this which is why i was asking if anyone had such a vehicle i could use.

Thanks for your thoughts however.

Phil.

Yes John i realise this which is why i was asking if anyone had such a vehicle i could use.

Thanks for your thoughts however.

Phil.

But you would need an HGV licence and permission to borrow a vehicle and insurance. You need to find a very friendly haulier!!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

No HGV / LGV licence is reqd, a, its not a goods vehicle, and b the whole rig would be under 7500kg and is not being used for hire or reward if i was moving it.

Oh and i forgot, i have an LGV Licence anyway!!

The insurance, yes certainly.

Phil.

Will it fit into a container? That might be another option

Not sure to be honest, however it would still need towing to the port, same at the other end, by the time thats all done i could be there anyway!! But thanks for your thoughts.

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

But you would need an HGV licence and permission to borrow a vehicle and insurance. You need to find a very friendly haulier!!

C1E is sufficient in this case - which pre-1997 licence holders got as grandfather rights.

I'd guess the tow vehicle would need to be already fitted with the fifth-wheel turntable so a club/forum for fifth-wheelers might give results - lots of beer-tokens for someone wanting a long weekend in Spain?

• Like 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

C1E is sufficient in this case - which pre-1997 licence holders got as grandfather rights.

I'd guess the tow vehicle would need to be already fitted with the fifth-wheel turntable so a club/forum for fifth-wheelers might give results - lots of beer-tokens for someone wanting a long weekend in Spain?

Good point i will do a search for such forums.

Phil.

The Warden at the Uttoxeter CC site last year (now on a different site) has a 5th wheel trailer that he and his partner live in permanently.

He tows it around with a HGV tractor unit with the pin set forward on the trailer so that there is a bigger space between the back of the tractor unit and the front of the trailer, and in the gap he carries a Smart car mounted by the use of ramps.

A tractor unit could be the answer for you, either hired or bought.

• Like 1

I recently had to get prices for moving something similar size (considerbly heavier though) back from Denmark to the UK. Prices varied from £1700 - £5000 for a low loader. Best price i got was from Rainthorpe Haulage. http://www. rainthorpe. com/

If your not in a rush you may find a company with an empty back load and willing to do it on the cheap for you, by cheap i mean £1500-£2000ish. Which sounds a lot but by time you take into account your time, costs of hiring a vehicle and the fuel there probably isn't that much difference.

Other option is hire a flatbed or plant hire lorry which will be a lot easier to come across than something with the suitable fifth wheel coupling you are looking for and make sure you have something at the other end that can help unload like a tractor with a loader.

• Like 1

The Warden at the Uttoxeter CC site last year (now on a different site) has a 5th wheel trailer that he and his partner live in permanently.

I'm not sure if it's the same chap, but I saw a CC warden with this exact set up now running the Sandringham site earlier this year.

• Like 1

You could try the 5th wheel owners club forum . A Navara / New Ranger will tow it if it is a Rockwood 8280 as it is about the same weight as the 5th wheel Celtic Rambler which is used to tow them .

http://www. fifthwheelownersclub. com/

I thought CCRV was going to tow it down ?

The unit will go about 3. 6 m high so this might be a problem with low loaders and the 4 m limit .

Just checked on manufacturers site = 13 ft .

The unit will have electric brakes which would rule out a tractor unit unless it its set up for electric brakes with a brake controller .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Hi Dave

The Celtic ramblers are lighter, just inside the Navarra limit 3,300kg i believe, the Rockwood is too heavy.

CCRV are going to do it for me but its a time thing, cant do it until the end of March, may i have to wait!!

I have joined the 5th wheel owners club, just waiting for acceptance before i can ask the question on there.

Phil.

Phil - have you thought about a mini HGV like the tow truck here http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/1991-5TH-WHEEL-CARAVAN-DUTCHMAN-WITH-1995-IVECO-TRUCK-/132026092142?hash=item1ebd5e4a6e:g:BgcAAOSwj85YRraw

There's also Isuzu ones on Autotrader IIRC. Some of the full timers over on http://www. motorhome365. com/forum/ also use these small 5th wheel trucks so might be worth asking over there.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Hi Dave

The Celtic ramblers are lighter, just inside the Navarra limit 3,300kg i believe, the Rockwood is too heavy.

CCRV are going to do it for me but its a time thing, cant do it until the end of March, may i have to wait!!

I have joined the 5th wheel owners club, just waiting for acceptance before i can ask the question on there.

Phil.

The CR goes 4300 kg Mam . The Navara uprated goes 6500 kg and the Ranger and D Max goes 7000 kg Maximum Train Weight . Vehicle goes about 2500 kg with kerbweight, passenger and hitch leaving 4000 - 4500 kg for trailer .

I was set to buy a 8280 a couple of years ago so checked the towing the only down side that stopped me is recovery companies and problems of cover as most limit to 3m touring EU . The main reason I bought my new pickup ready . If you look at CCRV gallery you will see Rockwoods and if I remember a 8280 pulled by UK pickups .

towing limit is the MTW of the vehicles .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

He tows it around with a HGV tractor unit with the pin set forward on the trailer so that there is a bigger space between the back of the tractor unit and the front of the trailer, and in the gap he carries a Smart car mounted by the use of ramps.

A tractor unit could be the answer for you, either hired or bought.

Saying that, the warden at Thetford Forrest CC site this year had 5th wheel rig. Don't know if that helps or not.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I was told the towing limit for the Navarra was 3300kg. Are you saying this doesn't apply to the 5th wheel as more weight is over the bed? Trying to understand your figures.

Phil.

The CR goes 4300 kg Mam . The Navara uprated goes 6500 kg and the Ranger and D Max goes 7000 kg Maximum Train Weight . Vehicle goes about 2500 kg with kerbweight, passenger and hitch leaving 4000 - 4500 kg for trailer .

I was set to buy a 8280 a couple of years ago so checked the towing the only down side that stopped me is recovery companies and problems of cover as most limit to 3m touring EU . The main reason I bought my new pickup ready . If you look at CCRV gallery you will see Rockwoods and if I remember a 8280 pulled by UK pickups .

towing limit is the MTW of the vehicles .

Dave

Sorry the top comment should be here don't know how to move it on my phone!

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

The basic UK pickup will have a 6000 kg MTW which will leave about 3500 kg towing allowance after 2500 kg for pickup and hitch and some kit . So the MTW for the Navara is increased by companies like 5th wheel and Calder leisure in conjunction with VOSA and DVLA to 6500kg and this gives a greater allowance for payload upto 1000 kg .

The Ford Ranger and D max can be uprated to 7000 kg . When people buy a new 5th wheel trailer the pickup is uprated when the hitch is fitted by the supplying company or companies like SV tech .

Dave

• Like 2

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Sorry to go off topic but does that mean you can tow over the manufacturers published towing capacity assuming you are within the max train weight?

Just thinking of times i move my tractor with the mondeo, i reckon it is pretty close to the 2000kg (mondeo capacity) but i normally dont have that much stuff in the car so would be well under car max weight of 2280. (plated GTW is 4280)

The legal maximum combined weight is the Maximum train weight . How that weight is used as long as you do not exceed any plated limits .

Dave

• Like 1

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

I'm not sure if it's the same chap, but I saw a CC warden with this exact set up now running the Sandringham site earlier this year.

I seem to recall that when we were at Uttoxeter in September, the current Warden said they were at Sandringham this year.

Phil what is the diametre of the king pin?

Phew, good question not sure to be honest I will find out though.

I know it's a Reese Revolution hitch if that helps.

Phil.

A little off subject but am I right that 5th wheel caravan does not have a cassette toilet and is normally on a serviced pitch. If right how do you go on when say on a cl site with no services ?

It has a large fresh water tank that services the toilet.

Phil.

Edited by phil1041
  • Like 1