Anyone Else Away Over New Year?

mazdavdk

Which centre was that with?

Never been away for Christmas but always away at a rally for New Year.

Ian

F&T Ian.

At one time F&T had three New Year rallies running, all fully booked, with people from all corners of the UK. Its a bit different now though think there's only three maybe four for the CC in Scotland.

We're away in our new van in the new year to Oak Lakes. ...wanted somewhere easy to get to and manoeuvre about with larger van, can't wait. .

5 night rally with north Wales BCC section of C&C, at Bangor-on-Dee racecourse. Been going for over 25 years and love it. Yes, we have had frozen water etc, snow and ice, and occasionally rain, but as hard standing and electrics plus hall and kitchens available, wonderful. Oh, and lots of friends, plus take your own drinks and amateur entertainment on two of the nights, bingo and quizzes etc during day time and good pubs down the road, can't go wrong!

Currently on a CL near Oban.

Beautiful place, pub nearby, kids love it with beach outside the entrance and we are the only ones here!

Had a couple of days of great weather, storm Barbara closing in now but have waterproofs and 16amp hookup so no issue there at all!

Travel back on the 27th, until then Merry Christmas all.

Currently on a CL near Oban.

Beautiful place, pub nearby, kids love it with beach outside the entrance and we are the only ones here!

Had a couple of days of great weather, storm Barbara closing in now but have waterproofs and 16amp hookup so no issue there at all!

Travel back on the 27th, until then Merry Christmas all.

Hope you are well tied down as the forecast is talking about gusts of up to 90 mph.

Apart from that have a Merry Christmas.

Seesaw

Off to see Mrs H's brother and 2 sisters in France for New Year. Not with the caravan though.

Going to Hillhead CC site in Brixham from 23rd till 2nd Jan. Hoping the wind will not be too bad Friday

Edited by slavedriver

Well, we WERE booked to spend a couple of days away (24th/25th December) at Culloden Moor CC site, however looking at the latest weather warning issued by the Met Office - storm warnings with gusts up to 90 mph AND snow, I have just cancelled our booking. :(

I don't want to jeopardise our trip to the South of Spain by risking damage to our caravan or equipment. It may be okay if you are already on the site and can 'bunker down', but we would have to travel through the storm to get there and then travel back in it to get home again after just two days. I am disappointed but I think our decision was the common sense one.

I have just received a 'rap on the knuckles' from CC (by email) regarding this cancellation but I'd rather that than risk damaging the caravan and having to cancel our big trip.

BH

Well, we WERE booked to spend a couple of days away (24th/25th December) at Culloden Moor CC site, however looking at the latest weather warning issued by the Met Office - storm warnings with gusts up to 90 mph AND snow, I have just cancelled our booking. :(

I don't want to jeopardise our trip to the South of Spain by risking damage to our caravan or equipment. It may be okay if you are already on the site and can 'bunker down', but we would have to travel through the storm to get there and then travel back in it to get home again after just two days. I am disappointed but I think our decision was the common sense one.

I have just received a 'rap on the knuckles' from CC (by email) regarding this cancellation but I'd rather that than risk damaging the caravan and having to cancel our big trip.

BH

It is snowing above about 400m and very windy near Oban now. We have pitched end on to the wind and the car is in the way so I am not worried about the caravan. We have however lost the aerial.

I don't blame you at all putting things off, if it was like this I wouldn't be towing home, thankfully we don't come back for another 6 days.

BH

Your knuckles will heal faster than it would take to repair the caravan if it was damaged, I'd also email back and tell them my concerns of the amber weather warning that's in place and if they're suggesting you should ignore it and the forecasted 90mph wind speeds.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

It's only a standard email that is sent out so don't worry about it.

I doubt that anyone would blame you for cancelling.

We are at Chester Oaks and it's nice at the moment but we know we are in for it on Friday, we plan to leave maybe Sunday or a bit later if the weather is too blustery. ......Peter

Your knuckles will heal faster than it would take to repair the caravan if it was damaged, I'd also email back and tell them my concerns of the amber weather warning that's in place and if they're suggesting you should ignore it and the forecasted 90mph wind speeds.

I emailed CC and explained why I had cancelled.

They replied thus:

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your email.

The email that you have received from us is an automated email that is generated whenever a UK booking is cancelled with 72 hours of arrival. Unfortunately we cannot stop them from being sent.

What I have done, however, is to put full notes onto your Membership as to why the booking was cancelled. Please rest assured that we do realise that in cases such as yours the cancellation is due to matters out of your control.

I hope you have a lovely Christmas and Best Wishes to you for 2017.

If you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email.

Kind Regards,

​Which is fair enough. As you said it was an automatically generated email and no ne could blame me for cancelling under the circumstances.

So a quiet Christmas at home for us this year as all the rest of the family are away themselves, which is why we were going away ourselves. We had an easy meal planned with the help of Aunt Bessie so not too much work in the kitchen for SWMBO and not too much washing up for me! :)

BH

6 wks near chichester on a well sheltered site. After driving from southern spain & stopping at a few bodegas

on the way,we are well stocked with goodies for christmas.

New years eve will be spent in a lovely pub with family members eating/drinking/& dancing looking forward

to it all.

Christmas carols in the main street in chichester sung by a choir was absolutely beautiful.

Really put us in to the christmas mood. I needed to sit down so we visited whetherspoons excellent value

for money & we were spoilt for choice at the bar. Good job the daughter was picking us up after work.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.

Would like to go away but Mrs. H insists that we entertain family. Ah well, 'spose i'd better agree------------it's easier lol.

It's not something I can ever see myself doing but I wish all you hardy souls who caravan this time of year a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Would be interested to know what the appeal is.

Not away for Christmas, but from 27 th till 2 nd we are in the 'van. New Year at home means sitting in front of telly as in these days of drink driving laws going out and having a drink is a no no. Away In the 'Van at a rally among friends and like minded people is far more appealing than snoring at the telly box.

Happy Christmas and New Year

We have usually gone away for New Year but SWMBO cannot cope with cold. ....so we are with our family in Bangkok and is 33C And SWMBO cannot cope with the heat. ...

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We've spent several Christmases away in either a caravan or motorhome and it's great. No obligatory visits to relations resulting in a much more relaxed day all round. We can get to see the family any time of the year but there's only one Christmas day and while we have also spent Christmas with the family we feel no obligation to do it every year.

Here's a couple of images taken while away at Christmas time. Don't worry, we did tidy up afterwards ;)

Christmas - Lunchtime.jpg Christmas - later that day. . ..jpg

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

we have been at Hillhead CC site since 23rd Dec untl 2nd January at Hillhead CC site in Davon

I don't fancy going in the 'van over Christmas, but I'm interested to know why some of you do go away. Is it because you want to get away from the Christmas gatherings or vice-versa ? Also what do you do with the dogs if you go to a rally or a site where the dinner is done for you ?

We go away at New Year for the social side.

We have got 35 vans on the rally at the moment and there is an evening meal and entertainment every night.

No need to drive home so no problem with drinking.

Dog gets out plenty times during the day and is left in the van in the evening with the TV on, he's caught up on all the Harry Potters this week.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

We always go away with the caravan for a few days after Christmas and bring the new year in with a bit of food and a bottle of fizz.(or so). Our days of rip roaring parties are long gone. We find it's a relaxing way to end the year.

We have just returned from cc Moreton in marsh went 26/12 -2/1 loved every minute we like to do Christmas Day with the family then just us and the dog for new year lots of fresh air and walking would recommend to anyone.

A19 North & South this afternoon betwixt Thirsk and Teesside spotted 8 caravans on the road. ..no motorhomes?...are they all in Spain?

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

well we are back and the trip went very well. It was quite mild over the new year weekend so we all kept very warm and the heating in the van worked well. in fact we ended up sitting in the awning most the evening. Glad that winter caravanning is now an option for us and we can get full use out of the van

interesting to see how many others of you on here go over winter and how busy Kloofs was. We found Kloofs to be an excellent site with the heated facilities block as an extra bonus in the cold days