Anyone Else Away Over New Year?

mazdavdk

Having got our first caravan this summer we have decided we can now winter camp and have booked a couple of days away over New Years eve. hopefully it will be OK, or maybe we are mad?

anyone else venturing out over the festive period?

We are away on a 5 day New Years rally in Yorkshire. Hopefully weather will be OK for travelling.

Two nights in Banbury tomorrow then eight nights in Cirencester until 30th when I go to My eldest daughter's home in the East Midlands for three nights without the caravan.

I have spent several Christmas and or New Years in the caravan at Broadway, Cambridge, Warwick racecourse, Cottesmore and Greetham.

Before I retired we and friends used to go away after Christmas for the remaining holiday days. We always looked for snow and were usually lucky. Wales about 3 times, Derbyshire about 3 times, Cumbria twice, Warwickshire once. Cumbria once. These were all great New Years Eves. Waking up with the eary silence you get in a caravan with a foot of snow on the roof is . .....cool!

First time in years not been able to get away at Christmas/ New year! :(

We're off to Concierge Camping near Chichester for 5 nights over New Year. Been going away for the last 7 or 8 years. Last year was Kloofs near Eastbourne which was pretty dire, Concierge is by far the best site we've ever stayed at in the UK.

Ah not good i am going to Kloofs myself. Heard good things about the site so i hope its not too bad

Plymouth for Christmas and the new year still in Bordeaux at the moment.

First time in 18 years not been able to get away between Christmas and New Year:(

Ah not good i am going to Kloofs myself. Heard good things about the site so i hope its not too bad

We heard good things too but found it pretty grim although the weather was terrible which always puts the mockers on any site. I should imagine its a nice place when the weather is good.

Good luck!

Edited by Tuningdrew

4 nights at CC Knaresborough over New Year, not been away since October so looking forward to it.

We are off to Norfolk for Christmas in our van and New Year's Eve!

Looking forward - but looks like might be gales around Christmas - perhaps a very slow tow!

Have fun everyone!

DJ

we go away every new year as noone ever has any money to go out on my birthday ( 29th) and got sick of making arrangements to me let down at the last minute all the time

We are going close to Melton Mowbray on a CS with some friends. Can't wait to get out in the vans again having not been anywhere since the start of November it's been are longest time at home all year.

Got the taste for going away last year, but alas no wife is working through the break and the days she's working means it doesn't work for us ☹️

We are heading for a couple of nights of pre Christmas festivity at Rowntree, York on Wednesday, then New Year at Eye Kettleby Lakes.

In my younger days organised a New Year rally for 20 years with around 80 people over 5 days. What could be described as a 5 day party. Over the 5 days, 3 live bands, I disco, 7 3/4 course meals all cooked and served supplied by the rally team. Weather incidental, bar-b-q in a blizzard. Wish I was still able, brilliant holiday.

We are booked for 7 nights down at Brighton CC site from 22nd and there for Christmas so we can't wait. Weather looks a bit unsettled but hey we are away on holiday and it'll be Christmas!! Looks sunny for Boxing Day though

In my younger days organised a New Year rally for 20 years with around 80 people over 5 days. What could be described as a 5 day party. Over the 5 days, 3 live bands, I disco, 7 3/4 course meals all cooked and served supplied by the rally team. Weather incidental, bar-b-q in a blizzard. Wish I was still able, brilliant holiday.

Been there, got the tee shirt. Sandwiches and whisky outside in the snow after midnight? We were barking mad. ... and still are.

All rallies in North West booked up, too late to get on, but found a site hosting entertainment over New Years eve, so 27th - 2nd in 'van!

PS Happy Christmas to all CT ers

Which centre was that with?

Ian

Never been away for Christmas but always away at a rally for New Year.

This year will be at Kilwinning with the South West centre for six nights.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Be aware of overhanging tree branches and parked vehicles on the narrow Sandhurst Lane approach to the Kloofs site and if the weather is freezing then the concrete sections of the site roads can become hazardous. Those are about the only negatives as the touring site that is well separated from the area for statics and is very quiet with plenty of squirrels and various native birds around. The owner is one of the most laid back characters you'll ever meet so don't be surprised if there is nobody in reception when you arrive

Gordon.

Kloofs - A.jpg Kloofs - C.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

First time away at Chester Fair Oaks 21 st to 28 th. Our friends cannot come because of illness so at least one space available:-)

Hope the winds stay at a manageable level. ....Peter