Sign in to follow this  
LongTimeCaravaner

Making A Claim For Health Care

On our last trip to France my husband had to go to a doctor and was given a prescription. I put in a claim for the two charges on our what was E111 insurance on 5th November. I telephoned to day to find out what was happening as we have not been reinbursed and was told the papers have to go back to the country of origin and their response is taking six months at present.

Thank the Lord we are only talking about £40 and not thousands.

3 weeks ago I received an invoice for medical services required in May from Sete hospital! Don't know

what it is for. I've already paid it!!

I tried to claim back for a tooth X ray and some pain killer tablets on my Red Pennant Ins when I returned home, but as it was under £50 it was declined because it was less that the excess charge. I didn't realise there was a £50 excess charge with RP.

i had a bailiff letter through my door 10 months after surgery when the bill had already been paid. they decided to charge more but even the insurers couldn't work out what it was for but they just paid it.

I visited the Doctor's last year with a eye infection. I showed my passport and E-Hic card and he examined my eye and he gave me a prescription. I paid him for the consultation and paid the pharmacy for the prescription and had copies of both. I also used Red Pennant and in return filled in their claim form, attached the documents I got in France and received a cheque back fairly soon after. I can't see why the document to would have to be sent back to France. Mine was a simple process.

I visited the Doctor's last year with a eye infection. I showed my passport and E-Hic card and he examined my eye and he gave me a prescription. I paid him for the consultation and paid the pharmacy for the prescription and had copies of both. I also used Red Pennant and in return filled in their claim form, attached the documents I got in France and received a cheque back fairly soon after. I can't see why the document to would have to be sent back to France. Mine was a simple process.

You claimed on a private (RP) insurance. It sounds as if the OP is claiming on the reciprocal health agreement between the UK, and in this instance, France.

You claimed on a private (RP) insurance. It sounds as if the OP is claiming on the reciprocal health agreement between the UK, and in this instance, France.

When we had a similar occurrence a couple of years ago in Germany I tried to claim on Red Pennant when we came back and was told to apply on the E111 first and only if they would not pay out would they consider a claim. For that reason I did not try RP this time. I wonder what was different about your claim.

When we had a similar occurrence a couple of years ago in Germany I tried to claim on Red Pennant when we came back and was told to apply on the E111 first and only if they would not pay out would they consider a claim. For that reason I did not try RP this time. I wonder what was different about your claim.

Do you get full reimbursement if using the EHC? If so it sounds a better way to go if RP has a £50. 00 excess.

From what I remember some years ago when I made a claim you only get 75% of the cost. See the link on how to claim. Apply to the Durham address.

https://www. nidirect. gov. uk/articles/travel-health-and-european-health-insurance-card-ehic

Scroll down towards the end of the article.

I once did it for some dental treatment whilst I was still in France, by going to their equivalent of the DHSS, after filling in the form. I got paid out in GB £ some months later.

Edited by Forester72

We've decided that unless we have a significant claim then it's not really worth all the hassle. We've both seen doctors, and dentists, in France, and mostly the costs have been somewhere between twenty-five and fifty euros so rather than get stressed about it, and have paperwork to deal with, we've just absorbed the costs.

• Like 5

Do you get full reimbursement if using the EHC? If so it sounds a better way to go if RP has a £50. 00 excess.

I think I did but can't be sure. However this was in 2013 and it wasn't until I read this thread and Googled it to see why Forrester72 only got 75% that I realised that the rules changed in July 2014. Had I realised I would have tried Red Pennant again as it looks as if I won't get it all back.

However as Val says it was only 25E to see the doctor and 12E for the prescription so I am not too bothered.

We've decided that unless we have a significant claim then it's not really worth all the hassle. We've both seen doctors, and dentists, in France, and mostly the costs have been somewhere between twenty-five and fifty euros so rather than get stressed about it, and have paperwork to deal with, we've just absorbed the costs.

We also avoid stress by not bothering to claim back costs we have accumulated by visits to doctors and dentists, neither do we claim back the costs of the medication we buy when we are away more than three months, the most you can apparently demand at a time from an NHS doctor, and have bought our meds in over the chemist counter in Holland, France, Spain and Portugal all at such low cost we would never bother with the effort of reclaiming costs.

Steve

Having read other posts here, I now wonder if I has an enthusiastic staff member who just sent me a cheque!!! We were in France for about 5 weeks and I only had one visit to the Doctor and one prescription and that was after being advised by the pharmacy. I can't remember how much both the visit and medication were but maybe they were about €50 as I think I would probably. It have bothered. I do remember clearly the Doctor requesting to see the E-Hic card though and noted details from this and passport.

He was also a very handsome Doctor even with one eye!!!!

I had a claim rejected by RP for emergency dental treatment as I did not have a report from the dentist detailing what work had been done even though I had the original invoice showing what dental work had been done. Contacted the dentist a few times via email to send a detailed report as required by RP but this was ignored and the claim never got paid.

I rarely walk out of my dentist in the UK with a bill much below a £100 so for anything less than that I don't suppose I would bother claiming. I tend to agree with Val. Obviously something more serious and costly would be claimed. Perhaps a point worth considering is the effect of a lot of small claims might have on the premiums?

David

Rules must be different in Germany and Austria. My OH was in Hospital for 3 days after a small OP he showed the Hospital his EHIC Card and all we had to pay for was the Meals he had consumed while there €25. Two years ago OH had a slight Seizure the Doctor visited the Caravan 4 times. Doubled OH BP Pills gave us a prescription for enough to last 2 months plus 100gm Asprin and we had to pay just €i5 We never thought of claiming anything back. All on EHIC. This was in two different Areas of Austria.

Of course this might all change after we go out of EU.

snooks

From what I remember some years ago when I made a claim you only get 75% of the cost.

If I recall correctly, the EHIC card only entitles you to repayment to the same level as a national of the EU country you get treatment in. In France this is 60 or 70% depending on treatment.

Even though I have a Carte Vitel (a French health card) I have to pay my GP 23€ per visit, then the government pay back 16€ and my insurance company 6€ both of these payments are in my bank within a couple of days.

I rarely walk out of my dentist in the UK with a bill much below a £100 so for anything less than that I don't suppose I would bother claiming.

Dental treatment in France is much cheaper then the UK, a general checkup and clean costs 34€ at my dentist.

In the 10 or so dentist visits I have made since I have been in France the £1,200 worth of 'Essential Work' my UK dentist told me I needed has never been mentioned.