Avian Flu .....

Hi all . .... scary stuff . .... Defra and Scottish Gov have put in place the order for all poultry

keepers . ..... ever hobby keepers . .... to keep all hens inside for the next 30 days . ....

We will find that very hard to do . .... have ordered some bird netting to build a smaller run . ....

Hope that this problem soon passes . ....

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

So does this mean that all the egg producers now have to re-package their eggs. Can't be free range if they are housed for 30 days for example.

• Like 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Alan . ... Free range producers can continue calling them FR . ... because in is compulsory confinement . ....

Seems strange . ... but, that's the rule . ...

Pete

• Like 1

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Only just noticed this post :blush:

My hens don't like being shut up and I have to be very careful when feeding and watering them as they try to escape, I already have a large shed and don't have as many hens as the last time we had the threat so there's plenty of room for them.

If you have a small pen it has to be wild bird proof and covered so aerial bombed bird poo can't get into the pen

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 4 weeks later...

Update, the period for keeping them in has changed, we now have to keep them in until the 28 February.

Paul B

Although risks to public health are very low and avian flu does not pose a food safety risk for UK consumers; here is the latest from Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs, Animal and Plant Health Agency, Food Standards Agency and Public Health England.

https://www. gov. uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-winter-2016-to-2017 with updates listed here.

See also the press release for 04/01/17 https://www. gov. uk/government/news/avian-flu-prevention-zone-extended

• 1 month later...

Heres a link to who can let their hens out http://www. gisdiseasemap. defra. gov. uk/intmaps/avian/map. jsp?mapsize=large&zoomOrID=zoom&advancedSearch=

It looks like my hens will have to stay cooped up as we're in a high risk area :(

Paul B

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.