Sign in to follow this  
mr_h

Unicorn 3 Roof Seal Leaks.

Hi

I don't think the strip is the culprit in my case - the sealing end caps either side are separate parts - I think this us the issue in my case and the modified part I believe. ?

DJ

Edited by djadria

Well all I can say is that ours had a slight leak at one end into the OSR locker same as you I think.

Had the complete strip and end pieces replaced with what we were told was an upgraded strip which grabbed the sealant better.

Ian

Perhaps they will - they just said t wasn't a big job so I assumed just the ends needed sealing?

DJ

Perhaps they will - they just said t wasn't a big job so I assumed just the ends needed sealing?

DJ

About three hours I was told.

Ian

Ok thanks

We have not had a leak from the roof joint on our S3 but I have recently booked it in for it`s second annual service and the Dealer said that the roof joint will be replaced.

Apparently they are changing them on all vans.

Bob

• Like 2

We have not had a leak from the roof joint on our S3 but I have recently booked it in for it`s second annual service and the Dealer said that the roof joint will be replaced.

Apparently they are changing them on all vans.

Bob

Ours is going into the dealer for its 2nd service in January, so I'll ask about this. We have no leaks as yet.

Just had ours done. 4. 5hours to complete the job. Looks far neater at first glance than what came out of the factory, but will post some pics tomorrow when the light is better

Turns out UK caravans don't have exclusive rights to water ingress.

Noticed windows of wife's 2 year old Ford Focus are misting up more than they should.

Suspected a leak and sure enough, just found damp carpets in the rear foot-wells.

Investigated further and found 4" of water sloshing around in the spare wheel well.

My Bailey is still as dry as the Mojave, and I will leave my roof seal well alone until it leaks.

Done a quick Google of 2013 Ford Focus water ingress on the other hand, and :o, where do I start ?

• Like 1

Hi all

Picked up repaired van - in the dark with a torch - looks like they have replaced the whole strip and new end caps.

Looks like a tidy job - check further in daylight when I can.

Away for Christmas now - hope good job done!

I think they replaced all the weather caps around the roof too ;)

Hope u all have a good Christmas!

DJ

Turns out UK caravans don't have exclusive rights to water ingress.

Noticed windows of wife's 2 year old Ford Focus are misting up more than they should.

Suspected a leak and sure enough, just found damp carpets in the rear foot-wells.

Investigated further and found 4" of water sloshing around in the spare wheel well.

My Bailey is still as dry as the Mojave, and I will leave my roof seal well alone until it leaks.

Done a quick Google of 2013 Ford Focus water ingress on the other hand, and :o, where do I start ?

Careful, or you'll have the Thread Hyjack Eliminination Squad on your case.

Small plastic parts are usually made with injection moulds. The tooling for this can be extremely expensive to produce. If the cost can be spread out over hundreds of thousands of part the cost will reduce. For a part that will be used in the quantities here the cost of the tooling has to be factored in. Not everything in life is a rip off, everyone has to make a living. I'm sure no one on here went to work and expected to be paid the barest minimum.

Poor design? Perhaps, but how can this be known unless manufactures spend hundreds of hours in expensive testing facilities finding out? I'm sure if we were prepared to pay more for our caravans each part could be tested in every possible way.

Edited by alecsmart
  • Like 3

Anyone actually needed to buy one as surely they are all been used under warranty.

All parts that the dealer will require to do the job.

All parts that the dealer will require to do the job.

I wouldn't have thought dealers were buying off the retail site.

Ian

Update folks

Spent Christmas and NY in van with repaired roof strip - no leaks!

Hopefully that's it now.

DJ

• Like 2

If you scroll down to "Customers Also Bought" someone doesn't trust the dealer to fix their leak.

Ian

Or they have a caravan without warranty - perhaps they missed a service, or have bought one that has?

Our trade accounts use the same database. .....parts can be ordered via warranty which removes the charge or as normal trade if out of warranty.

Joining the leaky roof joint club. .. :( .

U3 Madrid built mid June 2016. Found a slight bit of wet near one end of the roof joint (in the bathroom cupboard). Removed the plastic cap and there were a few drips of water around the clamp and in the joint.

Have taken some photos and emailed the dealer. .. ah well, guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Mark.

We have am early ish u3 all dry but would it be worth putting a line of sealer along joint but as it's covered under warranty not that bothered if it does leak as will be sorted for free

We have am early ish u3 all dry but would it be worth putting a line of sealer along joint but as it's covered under warranty not that bothered if it does leak as will be sorted for free

I am no expert in these matters but I don't think putting fresh sealant over old is recommended.

I think it is necessary to remove the old prior to applying the new.

Ian

• Like 1