Sign in to follow this  
mr_h

Unicorn 3 Roof Seal Leaks.

Just found this on the Bailey Owners Facebook site.

"As the owner of a Unicorn Cordoba S3 we have just found out that there is apparently a modification available to the roof joint towards the rear of the caravan. We have suffered condensation in this area, but have now been informed by our dealer this morning that there is a change to be made under warranty. Others with this series and with similar roof joints might want ti investigate."

If this is true, do we a) form an orderly queue, B) wait for the dealer to call us, or c) wait for a leak to occur/reoccur and then have it done whilst the van is in for the repair?

There are a number of threads on this subject. Yes there is a modified part available, but I'd only get it done if it leaks. Mine has, and it goes in on Saturday for a couple of weeks for service/leak repair and a whole host of warranty claims

I know that the leak problem has been covered here a number of times, but this is the first time I have seen that a modification is available; previously it was just the repair of the leak. My question was really - should I be reactive or proactive, now I know a 'standard' solution is available, and maybe get something done sooner rather than later?

I think Tandem Man put up a photo of the new part in place on his caravan.

Tandem man says that the dealer did a good job with the repair but he was surprised Bailey had not been made the strip wider than the original, the inference being that his dealer had made a better job than they had at the factory. I know it's another inference, but it appear that the replacement strip is wider than the original. THAT'S Would be a modification.

Please be aware. ..........

Our Cadiz was built in late June/early July this year.

As I was aware of the roof joint problems I mentioned this to the then Customer Service manager at Bailey.

He assured me that the new modified part had been fitted. Six weeks later it leaked.

It has since been repaired by Bailey (so far so good)

Fitting the modified strip therefore does not guarantee a good seal. I believe it's more down to the person who does it

Edited by v558
  • Like 1

Just found this on the Bailey Owners Facebook site.

"As the owner of a Unicorn Cordoba S3 we have just found out that there is apparently a modification available to the roof joint towards the rear of the caravan. We have suffered condensation in this area, but have now been informed by our dealer this morning that there is a change to be made under warranty. Others with this series and with similar roof joints might want ti investigate."

If this is true, do we a) form an orderly queue, B) wait for the dealer to call us, or c) wait for a leak to occur/reoccur and then have it done whilst the van is in for the repair?

This was not on Bailey Owners Facebook, but on a non club site called Love Your Bailey, I am in the owners club and not aware of any recalls or instructions to dealers on this subject.

Sorry, John, but here's a screenshot of the page:

post-44343-0-87874500-1480463251_thumb.png

This affects all Baileys, not just the Unicorn. I gather the modified strip is supposed to have something underneath to make the sealant grip better. Of course, those blessed with the title "Design Engineer" or "Production Engineer" at Bailey were unable to apply a modicum of common sense and make the strip wider to give a better width of sealant. I suppose it is too much to think they have looked at a complete redesign to get rid of the join on the roof. I have heard they are planning on giving a free bucket with all 2017 models. .... :ph34r:

Certainly I have not been notified about any recall.

Not good news for these vans in a few years time. Having read all the postings I find it amazing that the caravan could have been designed like this.

• Like 1

We have a fairly early u3 and so far all dry fingers x will stay like that been towed over 12000 miles so well used

Tandem man says that the dealer did a good job with the repair but he was surprised Bailey had not been made the strip wider than the original, the inference being that his dealer had made a better job than they had at the factory. I know it's another inference, but it appear that the replacement strip is wider than the original. THAT'S Would be a modification.

Yes this is the "modified" part which looks little different to the original but the sealing is much improved.

post-41054-0-37793300-1480536963_thumb.jpg

I personally think it could do to be much wider,a one piece roof or a generous overlap.

Ian

When it come to caravans and seals I am of the opinion if it is not leaking leave well alone.

Bit confused over the charge ? Surely it is in the manufacturers interest to carry out the modification as a warranty claim for a leaking caravan and damage could be far more as the jointing is not fit for purpose in the initial design ?

Surely you should be claiming costs involved ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1

Found drips from mine today - removed cover to find lots of condensation - leaking from the cross member to side wall roof joint!

June July manf- Uni 3 Valencia

Mine fixed today🙂

• Like 1

Found drips from mine today - removed cover to find lots of condensation - leaking from the cross member to side wall roof joint!

June July manf- Uni 3 Valencia

Sadly,welcome to the club,membership free.

Bailey must surely get rid of this joint on the U4.

Ian

• Like 1

Just washed the roof prior to fitting the winter cover and our 2017 U3 has a similar seal to the modified one judging by the picture. Very neat mastic application as well

Edited by barnowl

A lot of people have walked away from Bailey because of this. ..

Malc'

Malc'

Yes, because all other manufacturers make perfect, leak free caravans?

• Like 2

Yes, because all other manufacturers make perfect, leak free caravans?

No such thing

• Like 2

Sadly,welcome to the club,membership free.

Bailey must surely get rid of this joint on the U4.

Ian

Every manufacturer cures one problem and

another one comes along, that's life!!

Malc'

I can understand that,it is bad design waiting to fail.

Ian

• Like 1

Should get mine back before Christmas - hopefully - as we are having Christmas in the Van LOL

Dealer was v good took it in same day for repair.

I think they knew straight away what the issue was

They said they would redo the seal on the opposite side too - so hopefully the new modification!

Have a dry Christmas in your vans everyone - but don't spare the gin!

LOL

Edited by djadria

Should get mine back before Christmas - hopefully - as we are having Christmas in the Van LOL

Dealer was v good took it in same day for repair.

I think they knew straight away what the issue was

They said they would redo the seal on the opposite side too - so hopefully the new modification!

Have a dry Christmas in your vans everyone - but don't spare the gin!

LOL

That's good of them,as far as I am aware they should remove the old strip completely,and apply and reseal an updated one.

From your description of "redo the seal" it sounds like they are leaving the original strip in place and just resealing it at either end,if so not good enough.

Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick.

Ian