Sad End To The Year

Marc Rigden

My trusted tow car has developed a problem with the turbo, so no more trips away. I'm now in a dilemma, do I fix the turbo or trade it in for a newer car.

The Passat has taken all over the country with one only breakdown when an intercooler hose went go up from Porlock Weir.

Cough up and keep it. If you sell it you'll lose your shirt.

I'm in the same boat about changing the car but mine is from a mileage point rather than a breakdown. A new turbo will cost around £900 fitted, BUT we buy any car won't give you more than £75 for the car due to it's age. ( I know someone who works there)

It depends whether it is worth spending the money if the car isn't worth it. You may find you do this and something else goes. There again if it is not a fortune it may last a few more years. Tricky decision.

get turbo checked properly and find out why its gone and make sure none has gone into engine

Probably one of the strongest engines ever built by VW, evolved from the 1. 5 petrol which increased to 1. 6, then 1. 8, and then made into a 1. 9 diesel. Our fits VW was a M reg Golf with the 90bhp version of the 1. 9 (the others being a 60bhp non-turbo and a 75bhp low pressure turbo. My wife once drove to Hampshire from Harrogate and averaged 65. 7mpg for the round trip - and she's no slouch on the motorway!

Given you have (I guess) a Passat B5, if it is still in good condition body and chassis-wise it would be no loss to get a few quotes for changing the turbo - assuming it is definitely the turbo that has failed. Before making a decision get a compression check done as well and if all is sound and you like the price then a recon turbo is probably worth it.

We had a 2004 Octavia Hatch 1. 9TDi 130 SE - the last of the Mk1's - and at 130bhp it went like stink. We gave it to our daughter when we bought a Passat B6 estate in 2011 and traded in her Pug 306 1998. We did the same again in January last year when we got another Passat estate, this time a B7 BMT, and traded in the Octavia which needed money spent on it. However the engine never gave any problem at 139K and two cam belt/water pump changes - the costs were all mechanical like wheel and suspension bearings, new exhaust and a few other things.

Get rid quick. We had one. Timing belt tension spring bolt snapped 3000 miles after an official kit was fitted by VW, £2000. Turbo started smoking. £1000. Engine was always making me feel uncomfortable and never felt the same after. Loved the car but no confidence means stressful trips. Will it, won't it. ....

You have options. Replace car, fit a recon turbo or get a turbo from an accident damaged car. As above, make sure it is the turbo and what has gone wrong before spending mucho casho.

In an attempt to minimise turbo failure our local garage insists on doing a "Flush" at every service.

My 2004 B5. 5 130 is creeping up to 210,000 miles on the original turbo.

Regular oil, filter and belt changes keep it pulling like a train.

It pulled the caravan to Paris, Normandy and Hampshire this year.

I dread the day it needs replacing. .....smashing car.

Second hand parts or eBay usually gets what you want at far reduced prices over that of the main stealers. I wouldn't dream of going to LR for anything related to my car other than a recall. Their experts have no clue what they're looking at. I use the Disco forum and my own DIY skills where I can, if not I use someone off the forum to help out. The guys are real experts and know exactly how to do things. I've just had a problem with my suspension when dropping to access mode, it tries to revert to extended height mode (not good when you're dropping your 91 yr old Mum off). I spoke to the forum who immediately said thecodes refer to the NSF height sensor has misread something, when asked to try to move the sensor by hand, I was asked if I could feel any grinding or clicking as it moved up and down as this tells the car it's sitting itself on top of something and reacts accordingly, it should be smooth. I managed to get a replacement genuine LR sensor from eBay for £35 instead of £90 at LR and fit it myself. The whole system is then meant to be recalibrated but I was told not to bother, just drop to access mode, up to normal and up to off road and back to normal, job done. Works a treat, never had the car off the road for more than an hour and at a cost of £35. Seek out the Guru's on a VW forum, they'll steer you right.

Edited by Vanmaster Man

Get rid quick. We had one. Timing belt tension spring bolt snapped 3000 miles after an official kit was fitted by VW, £2000. Turbo started smoking. £1000. Engine was always making me feel uncomfortable and never felt the same after. Loved the car but no confidence means stressful trips. Will it, won't it. ....

You have options. Replace car, fit a recon turbo or get a turbo from an accident damaged car. As above, make sure it is the turbo and what has gone wrong before spending mucho casho.

In an attempt to minimise turbo failure our local garage insists on doing a "Flush" at every service.

I believe one of the causes of failure can be not idling the engine for a little while after a longish run or towing, particularly after a motorway run. The bearings can overheat & also the oil feed & drain pipes can carbon up. Make sure these are checked.

Like Vanmaster, I use the forums when I need advice. Last Thursday, the heater fan kept running with

the engine switched off. So when I got home, I had to disconnect the battery. Found out from FL forum

that it is the heater fan resistor, stuck right behind the dashboard!! Car now in local garage being sorted. If

Land Rover dealers, it would cost three times as much!!

If everything else on the car is good, then the cost of the repair compared to the value of the car is not that important.

Probably worth having it repaired.

I have done the "repair costs more than the value of the car" calculation and scrapped a car then regretted it.

The next car is another lottery, and the first time you have a repair costing £500 or more you start thinking that you would have been better off with the old one.

If you are just looking at a car for a few grand then I'd rather keep it if you are otherwise happy with the current car. If buying new or nearly new is your plan anyway in the next year or so then probably better spending more on new car now.

The car has 173k on the clock now and I have two estimates for the fix. One at £1000 and the other at £650. I love the car but it is getting tired inside as well and there's a few cosmetic bits that need tidying up. I'm going to get. Christmas out of the way and see what the new year brings

The car has 173k on the clock now and I have two estimates for the fix. One at £1000 and the other at £650. I love the car but it is getting tired inside as well and there's a few cosmetic bits that need tidying up. I'm going to get. Christmas out of the way and see what the new year brings

I think you have answered your own question ? As said it is a gamble if you replace one part and then in a short time something else goes wrong . We have had a number of members on here that have been in your position and spent a fortune on repairs one after another until they finally decided to call it a day . It is down to budget and what you can afford to spend on a newer and more reliable vehicle.

The more you spend the deeper the investment in your vehicle the harder it gets .

Dave