Tomtom ... No More Updates

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www. amazon. co. uk/Garmin-760LMT-D-Satellite-Navigation-Motorhomes/dp/B00EY3ZSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479915862&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+camper   But I paid less than £200 for

Your phone can hold full maps.   Googlemaps will use your phones data connection (3G/4G etc) to download any mapping that isn't in the phones memory while driving. But you can download offline ar

I have loaded Tomtom caravan and camper maps onto my standalone Start 25 and, to be fair to TT it has worked very well.   I have set it a Trying" cross country route using both car and caravan sett

At least TT support THEIR products a lot longer than Apple do !!!

I have an Ipad 2 (about 3-4 years old) Apple no longer supply any OS software updates for it unlike Mrs P's ipad 4 which has had two OS updates recently.

I believe the term is "Built in obsolescence"

If you wait till the new year (or sooner) I am sure that Halfords/Amazon/Curry's will have TT's on offer, thats how I got my last stand alone one for about £75, worked perfectly for years, extra SD card which holds Camping/Camper maps

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

You are not alone, JetA1. My TT GO 540 Live was a refurb unit I bought from Total PDA about 5 years ago. Performance has been generally faultless, apart from the odd occasion it has shut down and rebooted for no apparent reason - which is good fun when I'm trying to find an address in an unfamiliar city. The Live traffic info is usually very accurate however.

I first became aware of TT's push for more sales (sorry, the alleged need for an update as my unit would not be able to cope any more) when I received a revised version of TT Home - and I was not given any choice as to whether or not I wanted it. On first use a few of the facilities were greyed out - Route Planning was one of them, Operate My Device was another. Can't now recall the others. They also offerred me new what I think was either a 500 or a 5000 at a so-called discounted price.

Having felt a little cheated by TT when my existing unit was working fine, I thought no more of it until seeing this thread. As it happened I then connected to Home - and, hey presto, down came all of the usual updates, including a new map. A few areas are still greyed out but otherwise it is fully up to date again. Furthermore, I note that my (alleged) lack of memory isn't all that bad at all - of 976MB it is currently using just 370MB. Strange, that!

I shall retain the 'old' model for now, which I always use when towing for far better live traffic info than my Ford/Sony unit can manage. It is also far easier and quicker to use, the Ford system being far less intuitive in my experience.

Edited by GMC

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

Updated my Garmin yesterday (actually it's my Wife's) - it took four and a half hours

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Updated my Garmin yesterday (actually it's my Wife's) - it took four and a half hours

We were on the old broadband and it took ages as our top speed was 4. 5mb. Now we are on fibre with an ethernet connection and it seems to take justb as long.

We live out in the Fens and we are lucky to get 2+Mbit/s. I'm afraid that fibre is a long way from us (I think the nearest cabinet is about 3 miles) and probably wont ever get here. We live on the wrong side of the River Great Ouse - even our nearest pub is 10 minutes walk and a short swim or 7 miles each way by road.

I'm pinning my hopes on either a wi-fi or microwave solution. There's a firm that's started up in Cambridgeshire and one of my neighbours is trying it out. He's got a small white dish on a pole and reckons he can get 25Mbit/s. It's £200 up front and about £30 a month which isn't all that outrageous. I'll see how it performs and may then jump when my current Sky contract expires early next year.

Another one up the road runs his business from home and has resorted to a satellite solution.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Well I have a TT Go with world maps and free lifetime maps and speed cameras, cost about £185 a couple of years ago we got this as we were off to Australia and felt the price was good the T&C's say lifetime is determined by TT. I bought a 32GB SD Card which is used for the European maps due to its size, I have just updated the Australian and New Zealand maps without any problems, but the European maps are not installing keep getting error message after 1 hour of installing now found the downloaded map is corrupted, as this is downloaded from the cloud and the sat nav can not be cleared on the memory and re set to previous maps that are known to work, my sat nav is now useless as I no longer have Europe maps installed, I have contacted TT but they have not replied. I have attempted to download and re-install the European map 5 times but no luck I have reformatted the SD Card, deleted the Cache on PC and deleted and re-downloaded the map from the cloud still no good, I wonder if TT are about to kill my 2 year old unit off. Ironically I received an email from TT saying they are selling with 25% reduction, that is like rubbing salt into an open wound :angry:

Update

Had reply from TT today confirming the new map release was corrupted so much for the software being checked before releasing bit annoying as I spent 15 hours trying to sort it out thinking it was my device and PC. Now installed but it took 2 hours today. File size was 6555KB

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick. ...

I know my phone doesn't hold full maps, but it does give me nav info and also real-time traffic, so I assume it does it all via a mixture of datalinks (way above my head, literally).

(Every day's a school day :) )

Your phone can hold full maps.

Googlemaps will use your phones data connection (3G/4G etc) to download any mapping that isn't in the phones memory while driving.

But you can download offline areas to your phone while at home connected to wifi. So if you have enough memory you can download the entire UK to your phone and set this to auto update over wifi once a week if you wish.

This means while out and about the phone will be reading information from your phones memory and using the phones GPS for location tracking.

The only data you will use up in this case is for live traffic information and that is a very small amount.

The other advantage with downloading maps is you still have a fully functional satnav even if the phone signal is lost.

In our Yeti we have VAG's latest inbuilt SATNAV but the car also has Android Auto so you can use googlemaps from your phone on the cars display.

The VW system is good and very expensive and uses a similar traffic system to Garmin. But the traffic in Googlemaps is more accurate and faster updating. Googlemaps uses data from smartphone tracking so has a lot more information that the usual traffic sensors.

Lee

• Like 1

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

I managed to update my TT. . I purchased a Garmin. I also have the built in system in my Yeti the only problem with this is that an update disk cost over £250 down loads over internet are not available.

Edited by g7eor

Your phone can hold full maps.

Googlemaps will use your phones data connection (3G/4G etc) to download any mapping that isn't in the phones memory while driving.

But you can download offline areas to your phone while at home connected to wifi. So if you have enough memory you can download the entire UK to your phone and set this to auto update over wifi once a week if you wish.

This means while out and about the phone will be reading information from your phones memory and using the phones GPS for location tracking.

The only data you will use up in this case is for live traffic information and that is a very small amount.

Lee

Thanks Lee, wasn't aware of that but will investigate further now I know it's possible. ...sod's law dictates the time I rely on nav most is when the phone signal isn't there so to carry the basic data would halve the problem - seeing enough satellites is rarely a problem!

Not sure I'll have enough memory on my current Samsung Galaxy S6 though, as it's carrying a lot of music and there's no scope to add memory. Something to look for come upgrade time. ..

Grateful for the info anyway

Cheers

As Logiclee says above, your phone is a great satnav. Google maps or others that overlay google. I use a free satnav with live traffic and it's really upto date with accidents or holdups. Waze (owned by google)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Thanks Lee, wasn't aware of that but will investigate further now I know it's possible. ...sod's law dictates the time I rely on nav most is when the phone signal isn't there so to carry the basic data would halve the problem - seeing enough satellites is rarely a problem!

Not sure I'll have enough memory on my current Samsung Galaxy S6 though, as it's carrying a lot of music and there's no scope to add memory. Something to look for come upgrade time. ..

Grateful for the info anyway

Cheers

Yep, I've had every model of Galaxy S apart from the S6 didn't buy it due to lack of expandable memory. Currently have an S7 Edge with 32gb internal memory and 200gb microSD card.

I've had TomTom and Garmin in the past and have inbuilt VW Nav but nothing betters Googlemaps for traffic and now it's even better with Android Auto

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

I wouldn't mind giving that a test drive :wub:

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

I havent used a standalone sat nav for some time now. I use my iPhone. Does the job well enough, have a couply of map apps and they are free.

Regards
Ian

Real time traffic info comes off broadcast radio - mainly Classic FM - which is why the power cable has an aerial inside it.

As BIG as that eh? My first PC (not even an XT) had a 10Mb HDD which went up to the huge 20Mb when we got an XT - both being work PC's of course. The first home PC I built had a 386, very soon upgraded to a 486 but still only a 100Mb HDD!

Hi Woodentop,I have just bought a snooper ventura sat nav with the traffic update,are you saying the radio in the car needs to on for it to work ? thanks,malc

• 2 weeks later...

My 2014 Skoda has the Columbus built in sat nav. I believe Columbus used this and discovered America by mistake. To input a map reference it must be in the format degree, minutes, seconds. No decimal. The real time traffic information is OK but map updates are not readily available. I use a 2005 Tom Tom which complained when I tried to update recently on the web, but did eventually update.

• 4 weeks later...

Having read through this topic, most people don't seem to be using a caravan specific sat nav.

I was looking to upgrade from my TomTom to something where I could put in the length and weight of the outfit to avoid narrow lanes and weight restrictions.

Any recommendations?

Dedicated unit or Android software would be fine!

Hymer Nova 580 2016 and VW Touareg 2009 SE

Having read through this topic, most people don't seem to be using a caravan specific sat nav.

I was looking to upgrade from my TomTom to something where I could put in the length and weight of the outfit to avoid narrow lanes and weight restrictions.

Any recommendations?

Dedicated unit or Android software would be fine!

The caravan-specific satnavs are not, in my view, worth their considerable additional cost - so no, I don't have any experience of those.

My TT 540 Live was about 6 years old and given good service when TT decided that they were not selling enough new units and stopped most of the updates on the pretence of the older units not having sufficient space for the modern maps (plenty on the 540 for UK and Europe though). I then tried a 520 Wi-Fi but that had some major software problems, and its reluctance to remain paired with my phone, and was eventually returned for refund.

I then went for a TT 5200 Wi-Fi (substantial discount following all the hassle with the 520) which so far, is behaving itself. I did notice that the TT MyDrive Connect (on my PC) provides what may be a useful option in the route planning section - car or truck. By putting in a destination some distance away there is usually a difference between the two options, but I have yet to try it out on the road.

Despite the problems and their general cost, I still like TomTom for its excellent live traffic. It is normally very accurate and can be trusted in the main to identify trouble spots, though with a 'van on the back I am careful to think long and hard about taking a diversion in an area I'm not familiar with, despite the route being set to 'fastest'. When all is said and done my secret weapon is Mrs C's navigation skills, who invariably follows the route with a road atlas and is not slow to say when she isn't happy with any alternative suggested by TT!

I have never come up against an unexpected weight restriction, so I suggest that this is not a problem.

As always, it pays to plan your route carefully before setting out.

Edited by GMC

I have loaded Tomtom caravan and camper maps onto my standalone Start 25 and, to be fair to TT it has worked very well.

I have set it a Trying" cross country route using both car and caravan settings. Knowing the area very well indeed I can report that on the caravan setting it sent me the exact route I would have chosen (using my local knowledge) to avoid a number of "issues" on the "car" route.

The extra map set worked out at vastly less money than buying a specific Caravan satnav. Annoyingly the built in TT in my car cannot take the Caravan and Camper TT map set, even though the car is much newer than my "old" start 25.

So for me the specific TT Caravan maps APPEAR to do what it says on the tin.

Andy

• Like 1

Looks like TomTom no longer supply the Caravan and Camper version.

I'm about to try the CoPilot App on my Android phone which gets very good reviews.

My GO 930 still serves me well (apart from the battery) so I have no incentive to change it,

I might be tempted if TomTom still did the Caravan and Camper version but I don't want to spend several hundred pounds trying out Garmin or similar until I've ruled out the Android app for under £50.

I navigated a hire car around Australia quite successfully using just Google Maps so using a phone is not an issue.

But surely TT still do the Caravan and Camper maps? So why not see if your model TT can use them? That's what I did.

Andy

Looks like TomTom no longer supply the Caravan and Camper version.

I'm about to try the CoPilot App on my Android phone which gets very good reviews.

My GO 930 still serves me well (apart from the battery) so I have no incentive to change it,

I might be tempted if TomTom still did the Caravan and Camper version but I don't want to spend several hundred pounds trying out Garmin or similar until I've ruled out the Android app for under £50.

I navigated a hire car around Australia quite successfully using just Google Maps so using a phone is not an issue.

If you refer to my post #43. ....have just discovered that with TT MyDrive you can add the dimensions, weight, height, max speed etc under the truck setting. Just how accurate this facility will be, however, remains to be seen, so the usual health warning applies!

Edited by GMC

But surely TT still do the Caravan and Camper maps? So why not see if your model TT can use them? That's what I did.

Andy

The GO 930 doesn't support that option.

The GO 930 doesn't support that option.

Just checked on the TT website - no maps for Caravan and Camper are listed, so presumably not.

Edit: Sorry, this was meant to be in response to Mr Plodd's post 5th Feb.

Edited by GMC

• 1 month later...

I have a TomTom, which I update every couple of years or so, or when I remember. Personally, roads don't change that often.

• Like 1