Sign in to follow this  
Halohodge

Washing Caravan In Storage

I'm lucky enough to have all the facilities for washing the caravan at my storage site. They provide two bays for washing, hoses, an electric supply for vacuuming etc, and a tyre infiltrator (as per garage type). Having said this I only wash the caravan about twice a year, one at the beginning and once at the end of season and just wipe down the front if needed during the year.

If only. ..

Sometimes, just getting my van to a site from the farm where it is stored gets it very dirty. Last spring, in driving rain and spray it looked like it was covered in coal dust when I arrived to pitch up, both back and front. Later, getting to a CL near Stamford in the dark, I woke up next day to find the front was covered in mud splashes from the rutted track we'd come down to the CL. No washing facilities other than a bucket.

I was under the impression that most storage sites (and campsites) frowned very heavily about washing your 'van there.

Perhaps I'll try a few of these ideas when I'm away again

Thanks once again CaravanTalk!:Thankyou:

22 minutes ago, djwake said:

I was under the impression that most storage sites (and campsites) frowned very heavily about washing your 'van there.

Perhaps I'll try a few of these ideas when I'm away again

Thanks once again CaravanTalk!:Thankyou:

The rules vary enormously. Sometimes it's the site owner worrying about his water bill, sometimes it's about mud being created, sometimes it's about the chemicals polluting the ground and sometime it's the water authority concerned about contamination of the ground water.  

5 minutes ago, Stevan said:

The rules vary enormously. Sometimes it's the site owner worrying about his water bill, sometimes it's about mud being created, sometimes it's about the chemicals polluting the ground and sometime it's the water authority concerned about contamination of the ground water.  

The CC quote the last two of those reasons for not allowing van washing on club sites.

John

Our store and stay site has a blanket 'no car or caravan cleaning' clause written into the rules that are on the back of the receipt you get when you book in to stay. The front page has a site map with your pitch marked, plus access and WiFi codes and van positioning advice.

I've used the 'dry wash' spray stuff three times to clean the van there now (including last weekend) and the site owner has been quite happy. Trouble is I have no way of cleaning the roof and the Hekis are getting quite mucky.

I can't remember if The Old Oaks has a similar ban on cleaning but if it does, it would seem a bit disingenuous when it promotes a visiting cleaning service and presumably takes a kickback.

Our caravan storage site has full facilities to wash you caravan/motorhome it is all on the fees, plus an on site caravan/camping shop.

• Like 1

The CMC In their Infinite wisdoms has banned all cleaning and maintenance in their storage pounds . It’s now just as quick for me to take the van home to clean it than move it to the designated maintenance/ cleaning area.

From Amazon I purchased the following high pressure 12vdc hose and pump. Also a telescopic brush. From Aldi a steps. I acquired 3 x 40Ltr plastic water jacks. I asked storage if washing was allowed.

Washing the caravan is no problem!

61r5Ves6lFL._SL1200_[1].jpg

71SQebn1YzL._SL1500_[1].jpg

61csRFUY4jL._SL1200_[1].jpg

Edited by David P

My storage site has a proper bay set aside for washing the van, just have to take down my steps, bucket, hose etc.  As I was feeling a bit on the idle side this week, I have arranged with the dealer doing the annual service to clean and polish it down for me - cost is £35 which I reckon is pretty high but, as I said, I am feeling tired and idle.  It will be completed like a van they have sold and is being taken away by the customer.

On 01/11/2017 at 17:13, Arnie said:

The CMC In their Infinite wisdoms has banned all cleaning and maintenance in their storage pounds . It’s now just as quick for me to take the van home to clean it than move it to the designated maintenance/ cleaning area.

not all CMC storage pounds have band  cleaning and maintenance, unless this has happened in the past 5 days 

1 hour ago, Enfield boy said:

not all CMC storage pounds have band  cleaning and maintenance, unless this has happened in the past 5 days 

Cleaning has been banned for about 6 months, it’s a blanket ban on all CMC storage sites, that’s what I’ve been told by CMC Head office as I called them up to complain.  

1 hour ago, Arnie said:

Cleaning has been banned for about 6 months, it’s a blanket ban on all CMC storage sites, that’s what I’ve been told by CMC Head office as I called them up to complain.  

I can assure  you its  still ok on my CMC storage sites,  it was recently upgraded with new panels and hose reel etc.   You do need to book a slot to use the facilities, in the past couple of weeks  I have cleaned my van and also seen a service taking place.

The wardens are so stricken on every little thing there,  so I can only assume it's not band.   I've only been using the storage facility since August at which time I was informed of the rules for using  washing/maintenance area

15 minutes ago, Enfield boy said:

I can assure  you its  still ok on my CMC storage sites,  it was recently upgraded with new panels and hose reel etc.   You do need to book a slot to use the facilities, in the past couple of weeks  I have cleaned my van and also seen a service taking place.

The wardens are so stricken on every little thing there,  so I can only assume it's not band.   I've only been using the storage facility since August at which time I was informed of the rules for using  washing/maintenance area

You’re lucky, servicing has never been allowed. The warden showed me a memo from CMC stating no washing of vans with long handled brush or ladders as someone’s van somewhere had their van damaged by a brush or ladder. Another nanny state knee jerk reaction, everyone else is penalised because of a few idiots. When I pointed out that I could wash my van by using a sponge and stand on the Caravan step she nearly wet herself.

Many CC Centres have a ban on van or car washing on rallies,this has been the case for for the 35 years I have been a member,and have seen members told to leave field with car to wash elsewhere. .....perhaps not the same thing but maybe relevant.

Geoff

• Like 1

Lucky with our storage site, it has a wash bay with full facilities.