Sign in to follow this  
bobthevanman

Winter Draindown

Hi all, I have just drained my caravan down for the winter and beforehand was looking at the purchase of a truma kit to blow the water out. Being an old skinflint I thought it a bit expensive, plus attaching to a 12v compressor seemed a bit vicious. Having a think I removed the blue filter end from the truma pipe that goes into the water barrel, fitted one of the adaptors that came with my air awning pump, and gently forced the water out. It was amazing how much was still in there, does anyone know of a downside to this method as it has saved a lot of money?

PS : I also removed the pump and filter assy and found no water present whatsoever.

• Like 1

I DO MORE OR LESS THE SAME LAST 5YEARS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS CHEAPER THAN TRUMA KIT DOES THE SAME JOB

I simply drain the water from the system and leave taps and drain valve open. Saves a lot of faffing about attempting to remove every last molecule of water.

I have done this for more than 30 years without any ill effects, during which time products designed to remove every drop of water were yet to be invented. :rolleyes:;)

• Like 2

I simply drain the water from the system and leave taps and drain valve open. Saves a lot of faffing about attempting to remove every last molecule of water.

I have done this for more than 30 years without any ill effects, during which time products designed to remove every drop of water were yet to be invented. :rolleyes:;)

The same for me - I open the drain and all the taps before leaving site (never over grass though) and it all gets shaken out by the time I get home.

I have pumped it through using my inflatatable boat foot pump (about £15) which fits the the Whale inlet perfectly and managed to squeeze another litre out but in the end it's not really worth the hassle

• Like 1

The same for me - I open the drain and all the taps before leaving site (never over grass though) and it all gets shaken out by the time I get home.

I have pumped it through using my inflatatable boat foot pump (about £15) which fits the the Whale inlet perfectly and managed to squeeze another litre out but in the end it's not really worth the hassle

Hang on . .. if it "all" gets shaken out, how come there's "another litre" left in?

And won't that be the litre that freezes in the winter causing damage?

John

Hang on . .. if it "all" gets shaken out, how come there's "another litre" left in?

And won't that be the litre that freezes in the winter causing damage?

John

The only water that freezes and causes damage in Winter is water which is constrained inside, for instance, a closed tap or restricted pipework. The other litre will probably be dispersed and unrestrained through the system.

This could turn into another pointless discussion about the rights and wrongs of draining, pumping tilting, tipping, shaking and anything else you can think of to empty the water. Provided you make sure you've got as much out as you can and you leave the taps open and the shower head disconnected then you should be ok - we have for the last 25 years.

Make sure any filters are either removed or drained and it's worth making sure that an inboard pump doesn't have any residual water in it.

• Like 2

This could turn into another pointless discussion about the rights and wrongs of draining, pumping tilting, tipping, shaking and anything else you can think of to empty the water. Provided you make sure you've got as much out as you can and you leave the taps open and the shower head disconnected then you should be ok - we have for the last 25 years.

Make sure any filters are either removed or drained and it's worth making sure that an inboard pump doesn't have any residual water in it.

So I assume you use a Floe drain-down or similar?

John

No I've already said I don't :unsure: or are you just trying to be obtuse.

Edited by matelodave

we use the aqua roller fillerupper

Hi all, many thanks for the feedback, the other reason I wanted to ensure the system was completely empty was to eliminate the possibility of residual water going a bit "manky" over the winter. I will flush everything through next season and sterilise the system, once again thanks for the feedback. Bob

After draining off the water I always go one step further and (with the drain still open) I attach a rubber pipe to the furthest tap/taps away from the drain valve and blow like the clappers (usually takes a few lungs full) until I hear gurgles at the front end of the 'van. You would be surprised how much water has remained in the pipes---both cold and hot. Damage waiting to happen in severe frost ?? Perhaps a second drain valve aft of the wheel arches might be a good idea ?? PS. I left a bucket of water in the caravan overnight. This morning it had a 1/4" of ice on top---all the more reason for draining the pipes ??

My understanding is that the pressurised water system is tested to 20 psi and the recommendation is not to put more than 15 psi in to remove all the water.

Although we don't drink water from the caravan system I do like the idea that you can drain out potentially stale water sitting in the system as well as lessening a freeze situation. .

I just drain down by removing the crstal filter and opening the taps, dropping the showerhead, running the pump until it sounds clear, empty the flush tank and run pump to clear and open boiler drain . Less than 3 minutes done .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

The only water that freezes and causes damage in Winter is water which is constrained inside, for instance, a closed tap or restricted pipework. The other litre will probably be dispersed and unrestrained through the system.

. ..and that is why some people get away, for years, with only draining down and others get bust pumps. If the only residual water (and there is loads after you have drained) is sitting, for example, at the bottom of an 8 litre hot water tank, any expansion on freezing is unlikely to cause damage. That same water in the pipe holding an in-line pump, trapped by the diverter valve will cost you about £100 a throw!

Statement of the obvious but it pays to have a good butchers at your layout (and then buy a Floe!)

Why not over grass?

Because hot water from the tank kills it and leaves bare patches behind

• Like 2