Sign in to follow this  
Styve100

Bailey Unicorn S1 Valencia Alarm/tracker Q&a. Flat Battery.

Hi All.

Hoping for some help with wiring etc on the van.

Its a series 1 unicorn valencia.

I have issues with the leisure battery going flat.

I have found the tracker and its 2 batteries. The lithium battery is at 6VDC so had it, the dry cell alarm battery is at 10VDC so not good and is dragging the leisure down i suspect.

I would like to remove the tracker and its batteries, I have got a TK104 to install and would like to instal this along with the alarm and I am going t use it to remote start the alde heating.

However on unplugging te tracker, I find the alarm doesnt work, the unit which is labelled caravan tracker unit, has a small relay in and appears to operate when plugged in, during arming and disarming to chirup the sounder.

So, it appears the tracker 'unit' which is made up of 2 circuit boards in 2 separate housing is, the alarm unit complete.

I could remove the tracker batteries and use it as it is and it would be fine, I intend to instal the tk104 and maybe use a trigger from the alarm to trigger the tk104 as it has door open inputs etc, to then text me, if the alarm triggers.

Is there a wiring diagram on the web for the van?

Or, could i get one from bailey?

I did a quick bit of investigation this afternoon before it got dark, but I did think that the master switch turns off power to the tracker, thereby forcing it to run on its own battery, but I could be wrong on this one.

Leave your van battery connected and disconnect the Tracker battery, then measure the supply voltage.

Because you are reading (apparently) 6V across the Lithium cell it does not follow that it is shot. Whatever you do do not at this stage disconnect the Lithium as that supports the config memory.

Borrow a new 7Ah battery if you can and see if that fixes it. Most mobility scooters use that battery so you should be able to borrow a used one from a shop somewhere.

Otherwise its a callout to Tracker.

Good morning

I too have an S1 Valencia.

I would have thought that your 7ah battery is due for replacement - mine was last year and I replaced it without problem.

I would suspect that with the 7ah battery only having 10v, it may well be that the tracker is unable to power the sounder.

When you say your lesiure battery goes flat, are we talking days, weeks or months?

What is the capacity of the leisure battery?

Is the leisure battery the original?

Is it a good quality leisure battery - you get what you pay for - an indication is the warranty that you got - mine was 5 years?

It may be that the leisure battery also needs replacement because of its design or because you have not kept it charged up.

It may be that you are able to rejuvenate your leisure battery by using an intelligent charger - I use a CTEK annually.

I supply mains to my caravan for two hours per day to keep it topped up.

When your caravan is dormant, do you do anything to keep the leisure battery topped up?

Do you switch the master switch off?

From what I have read, you do not want the tracker to be without a good power supply too long as that would place a long-term burden on the lithium battery, which I believe you would need to have replaced by tracker - at a cost.

Edited by wiz2003

to throw in, unless you have a life time subscription on the tracker it is now redundant anyway (as tracker will not cover Tracker Monitors on caravans anymore) the tracker and alarm are an amalgamated unit (the fob arms both the alarm and tracker)

with regards to a wiring diagram, there usually is one in the back of the "service" book for the van, if not Bailey would be your best bet, our course they wont give any diagrams for the tracker unit itself.

• Like 1

to throw in, unless you have a life time subscription on the tracker it is now redundant anyway (as tracker will not cover Tracker Monitors on caravans anymore) the tracker and alarm are an amalgamated unit (the fob arms both the alarm and tracker)

with regards to a wiring diagram, there usually is one in the back of the "service" book for the van, if not Bailey would be your best bet, our course they wont give any diagrams for the tracker unit itself.

Glad I bought a lifetime subscription, then.

• Like 1

You might have a lifetime subscription, but they won't tell about their back up batteries that have become defunct. I have 2 cars with trackers on, and when I came across one of them, I tested its battery (6v incidentally) and it was done for, so ordered another online. Cheap and easy replacement, but you do need to check them out at 5 year intervals maximum

• Like 1

You might have a lifetime subscription, but they won't tell about their back up batteries that have become defunct. I have 2 cars with trackers on, and when I came across one of them, I tested its battery (6v incidentally) and it was done for, so ordered another online. Cheap and easy replacement, but you do need to check them out at 5 year intervals maximum

Yep, I agree. .

Would probably say to check any battery after 5 years, if not sooner depending how it is looked after. ...

Good morning

I too have an S1 Valencia.

I would have thought that your 7ah battery is due for replacement - mine was last year and I replaced it without problem.

I would suspect that with the 7ah battery only having 10v, it may well be that the tracker is unable to power the sounder.

When you say your lesiure battery goes flat, are we talking days, weeks or months?

What is the capacity of the leisure battery?

Is the leisure battery the original?

Is it a good quality leisure battery - you get what you pay for - an indication is the warranty that you got - mine was 5 years?

It may be that the leisure battery also needs replacement because of its design or because you have not kept it charged up.

It may be that you are able to rejuvenate your leisure battery by using an intelligent charger - I use a CTEK annually.

I supply mains to my caravan for two hours per day to keep it topped up.

When your caravan is dormant, do you do anything to keep the leisure battery topped up?

Do you switch the master switch off?

From what I have read, you do not want the tracker to be without a good power supply too long as that would place a long-term burden on the lithium battery, which I believe you would need to have replaced by tracker - at a cost.

Hi Thanks for the info.

The leisure battery is a fairly new 85ah and is in good condition, or was.

I have charged it and it seems to be holding voltage since it removal, I am not sure I could trust it though, 6V is too low generally for this kind of battery.

The sounder does work and the alarm works after I have removed the 2 tracker batteries and powered it from the leisure battery.

I found the other leisure battery I put on was down to 10V after a week.

I have disconnected the tracker batteries.

It maybe that the lithium battery should be 6V as it is connected to a PCB. as mentioned for the config memory.

The master switch is always off and I do not normally charge the battery, but has never been a problem previously.

So as of now, I have disconnected the tracker batteries, I am not interested in the subscription to tracker but I wannt the alarm function.

You mention you time power to your van for 2 hours, this is insufficient to be honest for the charger to go through a cycle.

It will power up every time on a full charge and you will have interupted the power before the charger can get into a float cycle, really you should leave power on for about 6 hours but you could get away with this say once a week and allow the charger to go through a complete cycle.

The previous owner had a lifetime subscription on it but I was so shocked by how much they wanted from me, compared to how much it saves on ins. premiums.

I did phone bailey for a wiring diagram, they gave me there stock answer, 'phone your nearest dealer' phoned the dealer and they were reluctant to help as they found it to much hassle to get a wiring diagram also.

Thanks for all your help and comments.

I currently have the tracker batteries off, the tracker is connected but only for me to have the alarm function.

I have a small solar panel on now to top up the leisure battery, but I suspect I wont get many days of power now.

The plug to the alarm is 5 cores, 2 are pos and neg, I suspect the other 3 are from the PIR at the front of the van, if they are, its good news and I can use these on my new tracker.

The PIR is not probably wired in normal alarm cable, it is probably incorporated into the van wiring.

When I get chance I will remove the PIR and check the wiring.