Sign in to follow this  
Vanmaster Man

Happy Birthday Channel Tunnel

The Chunnel was opened to the public 22 years ago today.

Best travel option there is. Not the cheapest but definitely the best.

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more! Definitely our favourite way of crossing the channel.

Booked for the first time for next summer. looking forward to it.

The only advice I'd give is don't pull up to the car in front until you are certain of enough room in the carriage. If they stop halfway along with you on their tail, you'll have to reverse back into the carriage behind if you don't fit in the same one as them. Sorry I can't think of a better way of describing it.

The only advice I'd give is don't pull up to the car in front until you are certain of enough room in the carriage. If they stop halfway along with you on their tail, you'll have to reverse back into the carriage behind if you don't fit in the same one as them. Sorry I can't think of a better way of describing it.

Good advice, we tend to do the same. Unless I'm 100% sure there is room in the carriage I'm going into I don't.

I couldn't agree more! Definitely our favourite way of crossing the channel.

Definitely, especially if like us you travel with a dog.

Very good point! I always hold back a carriage length until waved forward.

• Like 1

I noticed that when we traveled on it this August that each carriage holds one "car" and one " car and caravan" if that makes sense so you can also use that as a guide.

Andrew.

The Chunnel was opened to the public 22 years ago today.

Best travel option there is. Not the cheapest but definitely the best.

+1

So much easier than a ferry IMO.

We take a flask of coffee and a paper, sometimes a sandwich too and consume it all en route whilst being gently wobbled in our caravan. We have the luxury of first class travel with our caravans to be able to make the most of it for the brief journey across. Those in cars only have to use the double decker part which is nowhere near as comfortable. I've done it once in a saloon and wasn't so keen but still hugely quicker than the ferry.

We take a flask of coffee and a paper, sometimes a sandwich too and consume it all en route whilst being gently wobbled in our caravan. We have the luxury of first class travel with our caravans to be able to make the most of it for the brief journey across. Those in cars only have to use the double decker part which is nowhere near as comfortable. I've done it once in a saloon and wasn't so keen but still hugely quicker than the ferry.

Wouldn't your Disco be classes as a 'high' vehicle so be transported in the single deck carriages? ( I did spot your reference to saloon with regards to solo travel) :rolleyes:

Edited by chrisbee

Indeed, we stretch out on the benches and chill out too!

It's worth remembering to open the roof light though so you can hear any emergency announcements properly. And close it of course before you disembark.

If you have Caravan or MH you find you are seperated from cars, due to you having gas you are always loaded last. Cars only travel in the 2 floor carriages.

Have used it for almost the 22 years best way to travel.

snooks

Wouldn't your Disco be classes as a 'high' vehicle so be transported in the single deck carriages? ( I did spot your reference to saloon with regards to solo travel) :rolleyes:

Yes I do with the Disco, I referred to the one trip in a saloon when I was put in the double decker carriage which I found less enjoyable. I don't know why really, maybe it just felt a bit cramped after the single level stock. I only went once in a saloon and that was a company car at the time so thought I'd save on the fuel costs. It was a Vectra 3. 2GSI Auto and made no saving at all!

My only advise is not to travel on a full fare ticket on a day when one of the newspapers is doing a £5 return.

You will still be stuck in the same 6 hour delay and the fact you paid 40 times more than those causing the delay makes no difference

The last time we used the Chunnel we were asked to lower the Disco to access mode and then put on a two tier carriage! I may add that we had declared the disco as a ''high'' vehicle.

My only advise is not to travel on a full fare ticket on a day when one of the newspapers is doing a £5 return.

You will still be stuck in the same 6 hour delay and the fact you paid 40 times more than those causing the delay makes no difference

How does one discover what days the £5 specials run on?

I hate to pop the Eurotunnel balloon - but I hate it!

I went to South of France/Monacco with my late husband - just in the car. I was on tenterhooks all the way under, and felt like a mole without the digging. We had a good holiday - except I got eaten alive by mozzies - but the whole time I was dreading the trip back.

Never again! :blush::( You're all welcome to it!

I hate to pop the Eurotunnel balloon - but I hate it!

I went to South of France/Monacco with my late husband - just in the car. I was on tenterhooks all the way under, and felt like a mole without the digging. We had a good holiday - except I got eaten alive by mozzies - but the whole time I was dreading the trip back.

Never again! :blush::( You're all welcome to it!

Sounds lke its as bad as going through the Foulridge tunnel (1mile long) on the Leeds Liverpool canal. Wife was singng hymns and our German Shepherd wouldnt come up from below deck.

• Like 1

Sounds lke its as bad as going through the Foulridge tunnel (1mile long) on the Leeds Liverpool canal. Wife was singng hymns and our German Shepherd wouldnt come up from below deck.

Not quite,

And I've done both several times!! - you don't get dripped on in the Channel tunnel for one thing.

• Like 1

Not quite,

And I've done both several times!! - you don't get dripped on in the Channel tunnel for one thing.

We broke down in our boat the mornng we were due to set off. The guy came to fix it and said he'd had a boat brake down in the tunnel.

The propellor got tangled with weed part way through, they removed the weed box cover over the prop to clear it and failed to refit it properly. As they set of water started comng over the rear deck. They shoved the throttle forward and the boat swamped and went down like a submarine. The Fire brigade boardd the tunnel either end and lowered the water level by pumping till they could refloat the boat.

We broke down in our boat the mornng we were due to set off. The guy came to fix it and said he'd had a boat brake down in the tunnel.

The propellor got tangled with weed part way through, they removed the weed box cover over the prop to clear it and failed to refit it properly. As they set of water started comng over the rear deck. They shoved the throttle forward and the boat swamped and went down like a submarine. The Fire brigade boardd the tunnel either end and lowered the water level by pumping till they could refloat the boat.

A very common cause of narrowboat sinkings unfortunately.

The golden rule is always to give a blast of forwards and reverse with the engine hatch open and observe the weed hatch seals for leaks, if it leaks stop and re-fix it.

(ex-narrowboat owner)

• Like 1

t00ts the problem isn't with the tunnel.

I have been held up once for a hour this summer coming home, never before or since.

I have never been overrun by the £5 paying Sun readers.

I always pay by Tesco vouchers which my wife gets from her After School club business (9 settings buying Tesco food) and effectively costs us nothing so even better than the Sun readers. It's horses for courses I would suggest as is everything in this world. I choose it because it's free, comfortable and quick. The ferries are just too slow, don't take vouchers on the routes I want and you can't stay with your van.

t00ts the problem isn't with the tunnel.

Oh yes it is for me!

Oh yes it is for me!

I rest my case!

• Like 1