Townie

Swift Recall For Rear Panel.

I had a phone call from my dealer asking me to return the caravan as Swift wanted to check the rear panel as they were worried about stress fractures causing water ingress problems. I took it in yesterday, (11th), and was told they need it for a couple of days and that they will fit some "strengthening" covers over the affected areas. Anyone else been contacted over this?

(Mods, I'm not sure if this should be in here, the "Bodywork" or "Swift" sections. Please feel free to move it.)

Mike.

Strengthening covers . .... Does this mean a sticking plaster over the cracks ?

Dave

• Like 2

Did NC tell you what caravans are affected? Have checked on Swift Talk?

Dave

If they've had the sense to see that a preventive measure will save them a lot of money, and the owners a lot off stress then this is a good thing. Adding strengtheners before the event is a good thing relatively speaking. Edited by Ern
  • Like 2

I thought it was a good idea Ern, I just wanted to let others know that it was going on.

If they've had the sense to see that a preventive measure will save them a lot of money, and the owners a lot off stress then this is a good thing. Adding strengtheners before the event is a good thing relatively speaking.

Mike.

Edited by Townie

Same thing happened to me on two Coachman vans, one was returned to Hull for a complete new back end and the second complete rear end was replaced by our dealer, I really do hope that you will not be left with an unsightly fix

Edited by Les Medes

I'll let you know how it turns out Les.

Mike.

Sounds very similar to the covers/caps that Elddis fitted to some vans to hide their cracks.

Townie, does your Swift have one of the new rear panels made with GRP or ABS?

Edited by Valley Commando

Dave

No, I am confident they mean what they say and will use something other than a sticking plaster that really would not add any strengthening.

If it was mine then whilst being disappointed there was a need for strengthening the panel I for sure would want the identified risk addressed.

No, I am confident they mean what they say and will use something other than a sticking plaster that really would not add any strengthening.

If it was mine then whilst being disappointed there was a need for strengthening the panel I for sure would want the identified risk addressed.

Strengthening "covers" ?

Dave

Sounds very similar to the covers/caps that Elddis fitted to some vans to hide their cracks.

Townie, does your Swift have one of the new rear panels made with GRP or ABS?

The difference is Swift have implemented a recall. Elddis were quite happy to just leave it for the customers to find the cracks and have the heartache of long waits.

• Like 3

If it's the same thing, our Stirling Eccles Sport 442 had a recall at its last service the FIX (strengthening) corners were to be fitted. The dealership (Golden Castel) even showed me one and explained the process and what it was to achieve. Unfortunately we sold the caravan before the fitting date. I explained this to the new dealership that we sold the caravan too. Their reply was as long as Golden Castle had not been paid for the job, then they would do it before resale and a claim put to Swift! This was February/ March 2016

The difference is Swift have implemented a recall. Elddis were quite happy to just leave it for the customers to find the cracks and have the heartache of long waits.

And so would Bailey.

• Like 1

Ours had them fitted 18 months ago and when we collected it from service majority of vans had them that had been serviced. Given the choice I had them rather than at a later date possibly needing a complete panel replaced.

• Like 1

I had a phone call from my dealer asking me to return the caravan as Swift wanted to check the rear panel as they were worried about stress fractures causing water ingress problems. I took it in yesterday, (11th), and was told they need it for a couple of days and that they will fit some "strengthening" covers over the affected areas. Anyone else been contacted over this?

(Mods, I'm not sure if this should be in here, the "Bodywork" or "Swift" sections. Please feel free to move it.)

Mike.

Our 'van was done last year before we collected it in July.

I became aware of the issue vis/. the Swift Forum. At that time Swift were adding them to all 'vans leaving the production line so I wasn't sure if our 'van had them or not.

I was advised to contact the dealer who said although our 'van wasn't affected by actual cracking they would if I wanted fit the top corner covers FOC before delivery. I took them up on the offer.

there was some 'indignation' on the Swift forum about the appearance of them but I don't have an issue at all with them. Somebody on there wanted to see a picture of them so I posted a picture of ours.

Judge for your self.

SbrLTrPh.jpg

z1yZArzh.jpg

Edited by Tin_Snail
  • Like 3

Like you I am fine with ours,prevention better than new panel

Caps look ok to me, i don't think anyone would see them myself.

While it's good to see Swift taking action over this, it still doesn't alter the fact that these panels are still not fit for purpose, and shouldn't crack in the first place.

Just saying.

• Like 1

While it's good to see Swift taking action over this, it still doesn't alter the fact that these panels are still not fit for purpose, and shouldn't crack in the first place.

Just saying.

I thought the 2016 MY panels were no longer made of an ABS, arguably the earlier ones were not fit for purpose as designed.

Just saying.

Of course, that does actually go without saying though. :)

I thought the 2016 MY panels were no longer made of an ABS, arguably the earlier ones were not fit for purpose as designed.

Ours is a 2015 my built in 2014 if that helps.

Exactly! The caravan being discussed is a model produced with ABS rear panels. Currently Swift are using GRP. This doesn't concede anything to Swift for getting it wrong in the first place, but they did a service campaign to fix them, and have designed the defect out since then.

Just picked it up. Looks exactly like the photos in Tin_Snails post 14,

SbrLTrPh.jpg

z1yZArzh.jpg

Mike.

• Like 2

I have a 2015 MY Swift Challenger, which was built in July 2014, it was an ex demo model we purchased in Nov 2015. It doesn't appear to have the strengthening panels, so should I contact Swift to see if it needs a recall? We've just had the first service completed by our mobile AWS engineer and all was well.

I have a 2015 MY Swift Challenger, which was built in July 2014, it was an ex demo model we purchased in Nov 2015. It doesn't appear to have the strengthening panels, so should I contact Swift to see if it needs a recall? We've just had the first service completed by our mobile AWS engineer and all was well.

My belief is that your van predates the change to a fibre reinforced plastic and as such I would most definitely get it fitted with these caps. They at worst do no harm and arguably at trade-in time their absence would put those wise to the issue, like dealers, off your van to an extent .

If it never cracks then they are not required but that cracking risk increases significantly as time passes, if that occurs post Swift being "interested" in helping you then I guess you will then be paying.

Its a bad deal they are needed but you can't put the clock back, the van was built with a material not well suited for the application, this mitigates to a large extent one known weakness.

Edited by JTQ

I will say Swift haven't actually made an official recall for this, if they had customers would get a letter confirming they need to take it to a dealer to be rectified, what there is however is a recall on the dealer system when we enter the van details in, stating that the particular van needs to be inspected for cracks, and if such cracks have appeared, a warranty claim is to be entered for the caps to rectify the issue.

I will say Swift haven't actually made an official recall for this, if they had customers would get a letter confirming they need to take it to a dealer to be rectified, what there is however is a recall on the dealer system when we enter the van details in, stating that the particular van needs to be inspected for cracks, and if such cracks have appeared, a warranty claim is to be entered for the caps to rectify the issue.

Based on my experience you can have the caps fitted to the 'vans in the build period whether there is any evidence of cracks or not.

This is what we did as above.