Durbanite

What Have You Done To Personalise Your Caravan

Added Toilet Fluid, for Top and Bottom tanks

• Like 2

Our payload is 236kg however adding up the weight of the motor mover 32kg, satellite dome 12kg, air con 32kg, full 10kg gas bottle 15kg, it leaves us with plenty of payload left over. As we don't carry the porch awning in the caravan, we have about 40kg of extra payload taking in to consideration the weights of the aforementioned plus all the goodies in the caravan. As said battery, gas bottle and spare wheel are part of the MIRO so we are within the MTPLM of the caravan.

Added Toilet Fluid, for Top and Bottom tanks

We have switched from using the fluid to using the Dometic tablets. A full canister of 16 tablets should last us just over a month.

So you have a single axle mover fitted which is a saving of 30kg. It still leaves only 160kg which when you add up all the bits and bobs it's very little for such a big van. I couldn't put anything in the upper cupboards in my Swift and that had 165kg of payload left over. The kitchen stuff alone weighed in at nearly 50kg of pots, pans, dishes, cups and cutlery. That doesn't include the hook up cable, toilet fluid and clothes. I think you'll be surprised if you weigh it all. I did it with a big tub and suitcase scales. It showed that I was almost 90kg over the first time I checked. It's really worth doing to make sure you're within the law.

So you have a single axle mover fitted which is a saving of 30kg. It still leaves only 160kg which when you add up all the bits and bobs it's very little for such a big van. I couldn't put anything in the upper cupboards in my Swift and that had 165kg of payload left over. The kitchen stuff alone weighed in at nearly 50kg of pots, pans, dishes, cups and cutlery. That doesn't include the hook up cable, toilet fluid and clothes. I think you'll be surprised if you weigh it all. I did it with a big tub and suitcase scales. It showed that I was almost 90kg over the first time I checked. It's really worth doing to make sure you're within the law.

I agree and we have weighed everything we carry in the caravan using a baggage scale. Adding it all up comes to just under 190kg so well within our payload. However I always add 20kg as a safety margin. Hookup cable is included in all caravans made after 2011. We never carry anything in the upper cupboards.

We carry our clothes in the vehicle along with awning and food. The Dometic tablets weigh under 400gm so a saving in weight there over the liquid as I litre of liquid is approximately 1kg.

Edited by Durbanite

I agree and we have weighed everything we carry in the caravan using a baggage scale. Adding it all up comes to just under 190kg so well within our payload. However I always add 20kg as a safety margin. Hookup cable is included in all caravans made after 2011. We never carry anything in the upper cupboards.

We carry our clothes in the vehicle along with awning and food. The Dometic tablets weigh under 400gm so a saving in weight there over the liquid as I litre of liquid is approximately 1kg.

Remember the battery is not included in the MIRO. It needs to come out of the payload

• Like 1

If you are pulled over at the side of the road and found to be overweight, they will ask you to transfer your overages to the car (if you can) and fine you. This will then have to be admitted to the insurers at renewal which is likely to increase your premium. Are you saying that you are knowingly overweight with your van? I looked at the Buccaneer Cruiser but even with the extra kg's on the replating wasn't enough to make the payload reasonable. How did you do it?

Unless this results in points on your licence, which seems unlikely, why would you need to declare this to an insurance company any more than a parking fine?

I was asked if I had any caravan related convictions or claims when I insured my Vanmaster which I'd not been asked for before. I don't have any so not a problem but having worked in claims investigation, I wouldn't not declare anything which could be used against me in future claims. They all give a cheer at the insurers if it's found you withheld information. You can receive points on your license too for overloading.

CU50 Causing or likely to cause danger by reason of load or passengers

3 points on your license for this beauty.

Durbanite, I worked your payload out to be 160kg based on your figures, did I make an error? If you're loading 190kg you're over by 30kg. Just recheck my maths above, I could be wrong.

Edited by Vanmaster Man

I couldn't do it at all. Going anywhere hot and I have to have A/C to be able to sleep at night. If I didn't have it I wouldn't go is how much I feel it's value. Add to that I need to nose my van onto the drive at the back of the house so has to have AWD movers. Trouble is if you have an accident and you're found to be overweight, the insurers have a clause to exempt then from liability. Can you imagine if they wouldn't pay out on a write off? I'd have to throw the towel in.

If it were a write off you'd have to hope all your contents were strewn over the carriageway and would never get weighed.

The other issue of course is liability if you've caused the accident. 3rd party costs medical etc. ..

The other thing to be clear about is the insurance company can't just reject your claim because you are overweight. Case law shows that the issue MUST be a consequence of the overloading. So loss of control or snaking might be an issue but perhaps a blown tyre wouldn't give them a get-out

Our Lunar Delta with MTPLM upgrade to 1800kg has a payload of 290kg.

Additions and alterations include -

Light switch for bed lights moved to centre

Isolating switches to be able to turn off individual speakers

Various plastic boxes fitted under bed/bunks

various bottle racks

various shelves

RH wardrobe door hinges reversed

mirror over dressing table

some lights disconnected and dimmer switch added in bathroom

wheels balanced

under bed aircon

solar panels

refitted mover

rear view camera

inverter

additional 13A sockets

still to do

fit guide tubes to rear steadies

Its wonderful being retired!

Remember the battery is not included in the MIRO. It needs to come out of the payload

The Buccaneer comes standard from the factory with the battery so I would think it is included in the MIRO.

Durbanite, I worked your payload out to be 160kg based on your figures, did I make an error? If you're loading 190kg you're over by 30kg. Just recheck my maths above, I could be wrong.

My payload is 236kg so after the mover, air con and sat dome there is about 160kg left over for payload. Including mover, air con, sat dome and stuff like crockery, cultery, bedding etc in the caravan it all totals about 190kg.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. So you had included the bits and bobs as well as the movers, A/C etc within the 236kg and still have 46kg to play with. Well done you, I couldn't get down to anywhere near so eventually gave up trying.

If it were a write off you'd have to hope all your contents were strewn over the carriageway and would never get weighed.

The other issue of course is liability if you've caused the accident. 3rd party costs medical etc. . .

The other thing to be clear about is the insurance company can't just reject your claim because you are overweight. Case law shows that the issue MUST be a consequence of the overloading. So loss of control or snaking might be an issue but perhaps a blown tyre wouldn't give them a get-out

My list of personal modifications would take too long to read, beside I don't want get the "You can't do that brigade" on full alert. !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had a Thule Omnistor fitted on the roof, a chrome Union Jack fitted above the TABBERT sign on the back and stuck on a Borussia Moenchengladbach 'Raute' sticker. That's it

I wash mine from time to time. Usually before a trip. ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We changed the dull grey/brown fascia surround for the ALDE control for a black one which matches up with all the other switches.

I have done lots of things that have added weight, invalidated warranty etc etc etc ;)

Best mod by far are the automatic curtain twitchers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Weight upgrade, Upgraded tyres, Ceramic toilet, SOG, Shaver point in washroom, Extra shelves in cupboards and wardrobe, Insulated radiator under washroom basin (it was too hot), Thule roof extractor, Additional TV+Sat point, Fridge fans, moved PSU to make more space, Strengthened bed supports, Removed radio and fitted glasses partitioning, Alko jacking points.

Removed all the excess silicone gunge from the awning track!

Discarded the useless plate and cup racks and replaced them with nice practical plastic ones.

Added Satellite connection point (which I can use with other connectors if there is a TV point on the bollard).

Fitted a 2 bike cycle rack to the A frame

I would love to change the ridiculous bed arrangement (it pulls across the caravan from the offside bench to the other one) to pull out slats but the Consumer unit is where the slats should be and it looks like a big job. .....but if anyone has done it please let me know.

I've added two small awning pole dents in the nearside panel. :) :)

Edited by ericfield
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I've added a pole to mine too, for the wife to practice dancing. ..

Only had ours a few weeks, Had it paint sealed, bought a towing cover and a storage cover. Not yet been away in it but I have filled the fridge with beer.

Added shock absorbers, changed all internal bulbs to LED's, added cable to battery so that portable solar panel just plugs in, added quick release terminal thingies on the battery, insulated external underfloor heating pipe, removed unnecessary bunk above side dinette.

What kind of quick release terminal thingies and where could I get some? My battery fills the box so tightly it's a pain to disconnect a terminal to avoid draining. Are they easy to fit?

What kind of quick release terminal thingies and where could I get some? My battery fills the box so tightly it's a pain to disconnect a terminal to avoid draining. Are they easy to fit?

Billy, here's an example . .. https://www. tayna. co. uk/Quick-Release-Battery-Terminal-Clamps-Pair-P7919. html

They are widely available, and very easy to fit.

My van came with them fitted, but because the box is such a tight fit you still have to slide the battery out a little to unclip them, but at least you don't need spanners.

John

Edited by Johnaldo
  • Like 1

Before buying these check that there's sufficient height in your battery box to lift the locks. The cam terminals I fitted open outwards rather than up-wards.

post-261-0-81706800-1499522004_thumb.jpg

• Like 1