Sign in to follow this  
macafee2

Towing At Over 60mph

On all my cars, over the years, the speed limiters appeared to be more accurate, eg setting them for a 30 limit they generally worked at an indicated 31 to 32mph. which would take up the inaccuracy of thee speedo. You need to be careful though going downhill as some don't brake the vehicle to keep it at a set speed,

regards,

Ian.

Yep - many trucks we found were at around 56mph so carried on towing close to our normal speed was only point being made

In over 40 years of driving in Germany I have yet to come across a speed check of trucks and cars towing trailers on delimited sections on the autobahns. Besides, even where speed limits are posted they aren't absolute. German law provides for 6km/h plus 10% margin. For example, an actual 94km/h in a 80km/h limit would not result in a prosecution.

In over 40 years of driving in Germany I have yet to come across a speed check of trucks and cars towing trailers on delimited sections on the autobahns. Besides, even where speed limits are posted they aren't absolute. German law provides for 6km/h plus 10% margin. For example, an actual 94km/h in a 80km/h limit would not result in a prosecution.

Which at extreme, could be reading 107 kph on the speedo as that law allows 10% + 4kph over-read,

I generally don't go above 60 unless it's a quick over take, but last week I started to over take some lorries, I went up to 65 but as I started to pull in in front of the lorry I must have caught the tail wind or what ever it's called from the lorry, my van started to snake, it did make me clinch my cheeks, and not the ones on my face, I dabbed the breaks and brought it back under control, it will make me think twice next time, I'm never in that much of a rush.

I have seen a few vanners get caught out with this. .. The lorries slow going uphill, you pull out to overtake and by the time you have passed you are at the top of the hill or are going down the other side. This can cause stability issues as generally towing is more stable uphill than down.

A good friend of mine is with traffic police in Germany and he says they only check speed through roadwork section on Autobahn, not general traffic.

Only a numptie would exceeed speed limits under a average camera speed limit.

Apparenty 4000 such numties did reading the above post.

The current 50mph roadwork on the M3 have been in place for a couple of years now, the only people I have heard of getting tickets have exceeded 70mph average.

I have driven extensively throughout the south's main holiday routes throughout the summer and have come across four very serious caravan related accidents. These have all featured a large 4x4 SUV.

Possibly the higher towing speeds achievable mean when things go wrong, they go badly wrong?

Probably more to do with incompetent drivers than the vehicle, a big 4x4 makes towing easy but it doesn't mean you can take liberties, forget the 'van is there and it's going to bite you on the backside!

My experience of admittedly a limited number of brands/models is that speedometer accuracy has got much better over several decades - my 1985 Vauxhall Cavalier was a full 10% fast, my 2000 Vauxhall Astra but my recent cars from Subaru, Hyundai and VW have only been 2-3 % fast.

Oddly my D3 which is 11 yrs old is nearly spot on reads 60 @ 59, but the wife's Juke reads 60 @57, same sat-nav.

I can't see why we don't have 70 mph speed limiters like Japan and even when a trailer is attached the cars computer restricts this to 60 mph . Simply done and would stop excessive high speeding .

Dave

• Like 1

I can't see why we don't have 70 mph speed limiters like Japan and even when a trailer is attached the cars computer restricts this to 60 mph . Simply done and would stop excessive high speeding .

Dave

Will the "computer" know if you're in France with an 81 limit or in Germany where some Autobahn is still unlimited.

All this will come with autonomous cars - but don't wish your life away!

A speed restrictor would be ok if it could be overided in an emergency, same as a car speed limiter.

There are occasions when a burst of acceleration could save an incident.

My BMW can be set to give an acoustic and visual warning when one exceeds a certain speed. That should be adequate for the sort of situation that you describe, Xtrailman.

My BMW can be set to give an acoustic and visual warning when one exceeds a certain speed. That should be adequate for the sort of situation that you describe, Xtrailman.

As does my VW - maybe a requirement in Germany? - effective anyway when set to suit the driver

A speed restrictor would be ok if it could be overided in an emergency, same as a car speed limiter.

As an 'average' driver, I personally wouldn't recommend accelerating out of trouble at 60mph, and especially at 70.

Edited by Despicable
  • Like 2

Will the "computer" know if you're in France with an 81 limit or in Germany where some Autobahn is still unlimited.

All this will come with autonomous cars - but don't wish your life away!

My Mondeo has the sign recognition thing and tells you how fast you can go in different countries ie when you go through the Dutch/Belgium border the dash drops from 130kmh to 120kmh and back up again when you go into france.

As for 70mph restrictors no thanks!!!

Can you do 70 in your steam roller???

Only downhill

I believe most PSA group cars from 2009 can override the speed limiter by flooring the throttle. I know Mrs H's 2010 Citroen C3 can. Don't ask how I know this. Oh, and I'm not saying the C3 is a recommended towcar for anything other than a tiny trailer.

Only downhill

. ....and flat out.

A speed restrictor would be ok if it could be overided in an emergency, same as a car speed limiter. There are occasions when a burst of acceleration could save an incident.

There is no excuse exceeding the 70 mph limit . As said Japan has limiters at 70 and have done for many years .

Surely speed limits will be reduced in time ? What's the point of cutting emissions and then driving at 70 mph when a large saving in pollution by burning less fuel by driving at lower speeds . It has got to be the next step in reducing pollution round the world .

Dave

There is no excuse exceeding the 70 mph limit . As said Japan has limiters at 70 and have done for many years .

Surely speed limits will be reduced in time ? What's the point of cutting emissions and then driving at 70 mph when a large saving in pollution by burning less fuel by driving at lower speeds . It has got to be the next step in reducing pollution round the world .

Dave

Yes - lets gradually reduce speed limits to zero then ban vehicles - make everyone walk everywhere.

There is no excuse exceeding the 70 mph limit .

What about when you really need a wee after few pints down the pub?

• Like 1

Dave

I don't need an excuse to exceed the speed limit, its common practise for most drivers.

Dave

I've never really subscribed to the idea that lower speeds reduce pollution. Were I to drive @70mph for an hour I think I'd probably use less fuel, so less pollution, than driving for 2 hours at 35mph to cover the same distance.

I'd like to see the 'hair drier type devices' the police use actually calibrated. they are only type tested.

for cars they are 'close', for bikes they are miles out.

MCN did a test with a parked bike, on the side stand, with no one on it, and the device showed it was still doing 23mph

If Mr Plodd is around . ... I have heard they way these speeding devices are checked is point it at a wall, if it shows 0mph, it's good to go !!

I hope I'm wrong . ... can this be clarified by someone in the know please ?

• Like 1

I've never really subscribed to the idea that lower speeds reduce pollution. Were I to drive @70mph for an hour I think I'd probably use less fuel, so less pollution, than driving for 2 hours at 35mph to cover the same distance.

If at constant speed in both tests, same rpm throughout (different gear) and all else being equal the less air resistance at 35mph "should" give better mpg.

If at constant speed in both tests, same rpm throughout (different gear) and all else being equal the less air resistance at 35mph "should" give better mpg.

Yes, but it would need to be twice as good. I know for a fact my MPG wouldn't be as good in 4th gear as it is in 6th.

Yes, but it would need to be twice as good. I know for a fact my MPG wouldn't be as good in 4th gear as it is in 6th.

Why would it need to be twice as good! Gallons per hour would need to be twice as good because a journey would take twice as long, but the distance stays the same, so any improvement in miles per gallon will need less fuel!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this