Sign in to follow this  
Lozzyf

Ok ,daft Question Time - What Is A Camping Cheque

What is a camping cheque, why would I buy or need one?

There's no such thing as a "daft question" - just questions you don't know the answer to - I don't know either :(

• Like 4

There's no such thing as a "daft question" - just questions you don't know the answer to - I don't know either :(

Well I'm glad it's not just me'!!!

Suggest you google it for the best explanation.

Looks a bit like ACSI only probably not as widespread.

Edited by hp100425ev

Camping cheques are a way of paying a reduced (fixed) price for participating campsites out of season. They can also reduce ferry costs if bought at the same time from the Caravan Club.

The number of participating sites seems to have reduced over recent years.

• Like 1

Well I'm glad it's not just me'!!!

In the past we have used camping cheques a lot,mostly on the continent,we used to buy them for about £13. 00 approx,it then intitledyou to one nights camping on any of the sites listed in their handbook,inc,EHU.

Similar to Acsi but prepaid,from memory they had up to three yrs. life and could be renewed after for the cost of one voucher.

They were managed by Allen Rogers camping but I think I read recently they are now owned by Acsi

Every day's a schoolday :)

There's a whole world out there I never knew existed. ....

• Like 1

Val is very fond of them, and will possibly be along shortly to give a much more accurate explanation than I can offer.

Google it Lozzy. All the answers are there at your fingertips.

In the past we have used camping cheques a lot,mostly on the continent,we used to buy them for about £13. 00 approx,it then intitledyou to one nights camping on any of the sites listed in their handbook,inc,EHU.

Similar to Acsi but prepaid,from memory they had up to three yrs. life and could be renewed after for the cost of one voucher.

They were managed by Allen Rogers camping but I think I read recently they are now owned by Acsi

I thought the Caravan Club took Alan Rogers under their wing :mellow:

camping cheques uk

I have just been reading about these and it all looks fantastic, why don't more people know about it?

Camping Cheque were taken over by Malaysian Kawan Group, them with the holiday villages and lots of sites, this was some time back. ..they then were taken over by a conglomerate called Vacalian which I think is French, they absorbed some Italian sites and have been partially bought out by Permira uk. ..Taking in Canvas Holidays and some of the European Mainland sites. ...Mainly an operator of statics but now massive site owners too. ....Current value is £14. 95 a single night this year all sites,

We always bought ours when booking ferries through CC and looked for sites that took 2 cheques for three nights, have met Dutch in South of France who managed 65 nights on 45 cheques with ease. .

geoff

camping cheques uk

I have just been reading about these and it all looks fantastic, why don't more people know about it?

You obviously had never booked a ferry or overseas campsite with Caravan Club in last 10 years,perhaps? They were always offered and there were often adverts in their magazine,as agents.

geoff

• Like 1

. . . I'm not in the caravan club. We have just done twelve months with the CCC. but only joined for for the maneuvering course . We have only just booked two sites for next year because our dealer gave us some vouchers! One of the Sites we visit is CC. but it's only £1. 00 difference if we are not members. . I'm sure there has been debates about this before and I'm STILL non the wiser as to which one or if ANY.

do you have to be a member to buy the cheques then?

camping cheques uk

They only use 13 sites in the UK - so aimed primarily at those who caravan on mainland Europe.

• Like 1

CC act as agents. ....

Camping Cheque can be purchased by anyone as they are independant of any of the clubs.

http://order. campingcheque. co. uk/

ACSI are probably the more popular these days. ...both have datal limitations.

geoff

• Like 1

You are both as daft as each other but please let me know as I don't have a clue either.

• Like 1

Hi Lozzy.

You don't need to be a member of the CC. One cheque gives one night on site and can be used out of high season.

Same theory as ACSI basically but the cheque is a set price.

If you can go out of season there is a good saving to be had on some sites and sometimes the CC travel service can give good ferry discounts if you buy a certain amount of Cheques.

From a few discussions on here it would appear that camping cheques are not as popular as they once were and ACSI seems to be getting more popular.

There are a few sites in the UK that you can use them at but mainly Europe.

• Like 1

We used to use Camping Cheques. About three years ago, whilst in France, I got talking about Camping Cheques to the man on the next pitch, and he loaned me his ACSI guide to have a read. For the six weeks we were there I discovered that, for exactly the same pitch and amenities, ACSI would have given me a saving of £106 against Camping Cheques.

No prizes for guessing which we use now! :D

Hi 2 Tops.

It's odd. Whenever I've compared the two schemes in the past I have always found Camping Cheques to be the cheaper scheme (not usually by much). However, I much prefer the ACSI scheme now and use that exclusively anyway.

Do your research for both and see which suits YOUR camping/holiday style better!

I have used both and much prefer ACSI (but I always travel out of season)

Andy

There was a load of camping Czechs in the Calais jungle

Sorry, couldn't resist it

• Like 1

I am not a great fan of the scheme that involves paying upfront but if you book a ferry through the CC they are often effectively free i. e the ferry fare including £105 worth of cheques is actually less than the normal fare without. I first discovered them when a CC agent explained I would actually make a saving even if I threw them away, the deals are not as good on all crossings but I still find it reduces the fare and gives us a free week somewhere. There are some campers who will go nowhere if the site is not in one scheme or the other and I am not, one of them but having 7 cheques thrown in with the ferry has twice now introduced us to sites we visit every year now.

I have used Camping Cheques for the past 10 years. I even got a Gold card so I could charge up the card any time I liked but it came with a cost, £44. 85 for three years use. This entitled me to an annual brochure/book listing all the sites (good directions) and to be able to book ahead with no booking fee. In addition, provided I had access to the internet, I could add more nights to the card even when away.

Over the years, many of the sites I use have dropped out of the Camping Cheque syndicate and have adopted the ACSI network.

Both cards are to promote 'Off Season Camping' and so sites have limited times of the year when they apply.

Last year, I used Camping Cheques only on my first and last night at Chateau Gandspette near Calais. The rest of the holiday, I used ACSI and each time I moved on, a quick call to make sure there was room at the next site was all that was needed.

The ACSI book / Camping Card costs about £13. 00 a year so there is still a cost just to have the card.

Camping Cheques cost £14. 95 a night and have to be bought before travelling unless you have a Gold Card

ACSI sites vary from 11E a night to 19E a night and you pay the site directly

Don't forget, Tourist Tax where applicable, is an additional fee (usually just over 1E a night)

My Gold card has now expired with one cheque left on it so I guess I have lost that. I shall not be renewing it as next year we will be going only with ACSI.

Just one more thing with ACSI, the only print off so many books / cards and when they are gone, they don't print any more. By January, there are usually none left. If you don't have a card, you don't get the discount.

Hope that helps explain it all. I am not connected with either association.

• Like 1