Right! We currently can't store our van on our own drive due to the presence of a car port.

As luck would have it, however, a close relative will be moving to within walking distance of us and currently it looks like she will have storage space.

Is this a set up used by others? Is it possible whilst keeping the insurance co. happy?

Setting up the caravan for trips would be much easier if we could make this work.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

If I had a problem at home (might do soon as next door neighbour has put her house up for sale), I would jump at that chance.

Ring your insurance company and see what their advice is and what affect it would have on premium (if any).

Alternatively, take the car port down!

Edited by hp100425ev

If I had a problem at home (might do soon as next door neighbour has put her house up for sale), I would jump at that chance.

Ring your insurance company and see what their advice is and what affect it would have on premium (if any).

Alternatively, take the car port down!

Thanks for the advice - really need to call the ins co. Technically my OH will half own the other house, but we won't live there.

I've had my eyes on the carport since we moved in, but it is incredibly useful for hanging washing out (it's nearly as wet here as where you are!).

The dream (!!!!) would be a much higher level car port that he van would fit under as well.

We used to store our van on the MIL's parking space which was at the back of her house. See piccy.

The insurance company were quite happy, their only stipulation was that there was a security light - which in my opinion just made it easier for a thief to see what he was doing, but we complied

post-11298-0-54097400-1477915463_thumb.jpg

post-11298-0-95680500-1477915591_thumb.jpg

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Our last 5 caravans were all kept at my sisters house some 9 miles away. No problems with CC insurance. Our current caravan is a bit big for my sisters parking plot, so we are now on a caSSOA gold site!

• Like 1

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 Automatic.

Right! We currently can't store our van on our own drive due to the presence of a car port.

As luck would have it, however, a close relative will be moving to within walking distance of us and currently it looks like she will have storage space.

Is this a set up used by others? Is it possible whilst keeping the insurance co. happy?

Setting up the caravan for trips would be much easier if we could make this work.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I would expect the Ins. co. to simply ask you to confirm the postcode of where the 'van is actually stored rather than your home postcode and all should be fine.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice - really need to call the ins co. Technically my OH will half own the other house, but we won't live there.

I've had my eyes on the carport since we moved in, but it is incredibly useful for hanging washing out (it's nearly as wet here as where you are!).

The dream (!!!!) would be a much higher level car port that he van would fit under as well.

By it being a "dream" to have a higher car port, I presume that lifting it wouldn't be the simple task it sounds?

From phone calls I have had in the past I would be very careful where you store your caravan and the information you give the insurance where it is stored . If you give the information that the caravan is stored in a storage site with xxx amount of security and then it is stolen off your drive the insurance risk has changed and the insurance has been invalidated .

One insurance company told me that if I had to phone them and instruct them that I had removed the caravan from storage to my drive to pack . Do don't always just assume you have insurance cover .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

By it being a "dream" to have a higher car port, I presume that lifting it wouldn't be the simple task it sounds?

I think it would be pretty much a rebuild/new structure. I'd also want it bigger to allow space for the washing as well as the 'van!

Problem is that there are quite a few other projects of higher priority on the budget list.

We stored our caravan at a friend's farm for a couple of years while we built our new house. The insurance comapny just wanted the address where the caravan was. Mind you, there's not as much value in our caravan as some others on here. :blush:

hawkaye :beardy:

In the days we stored caravans commercially, in our Public Warehouses, we had a visit from AA Insurance to say that the storage within a double alarmed building, with on-site security, for one particular caravan was not acceptable and that their client would be required to store it within a certain distance from home,if not at home. ........odd we and they thought! They were actually about 15 miles away and were having their house re-built. ......so they paid their bills and just left it on a nearby,unsecured, farm which AA found acceptable!!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530