Sign in to follow this  

At Grandpa Steve's request I am repeating details that I have already posted in another thread. At the same time I have added a couple of additional comments:

Mass in service, also known as mass in running order, is defined in the respective EU directive as the weight of the vehicle with a 90% full fuel tank and a 75kg allowance for the driver and sundry items. It also applies to the vehicle in base form with the minimum of factory fitted options applicable to the market where it is sold. It is therefore generally lower than any figure that a weighbridge would come up with.

Kerbweight according to UK legislation is without the driver, but with a full fuel tank. The definition is otherwise very vague as it was created at a time when things were not as standardised as today.

Unladen weight, by UK law, is a 'dry' weight without any fluids such as fuel.

The latest EU directive 1230/2012/EC has added a further term, 'actual mass of the vehicle', to allow for the factory fitted options not included in mass in running order. It is therefore the most representative figure of all. However, there are no provisions for including the actual mass of the vehicle in the V5c document. If at all, it will be found as Item 13. 2 in the Certificate of Conformity that was issued withe the vehicle.

Neither kerbweight nor unladen weight are documented anywhere.

• Like 2

No doubt there will now be a few posts disagreeing or pedanting certain points, but in my opinion it's a good plain English presentation.

I expect you could tell me what year the weights changed in caravans, about 5 years ago, but I think that this is what causes a lot of confusion. Some folk have older caravans. The kerb weight is not on the V5c in a lot of foreign cars, it has the train weight and the towing weight.

I expect you could tell me what year the weights changed in caravans, about 5 years ago, but I think that this is what causes a lot of confusion. Some folk have older caravans. The kerb weight is not on the V5c in a lot of foreign cars, it has the train weight and the towing weight.

Basically, before the introduction of BS standard EN 1645-2 there was no clear defintion of the MIRO for caravans and every manufacturer did his own thing. The standard, as it stands now, provides for filled gas bottles and on-board water tank and 4kg for an EHU cable, but the battery would only be included if it is a standard factory fitting, not an option. Actually, it is still a bit vague in some details as it is unclear, for example, what type of gas bottle and how many (if there are provisions for more than one). It is also only an industry standard and has no direct legal significance.

Kerbweight is never shown on the V5c.

• Like 1

For those interested, the defintion of kerbweight, or "kerbside weight" as UK legislation calls it is to be found in The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, Part 1 Regulaton 3.

Hi Lutz, good input thanks, based on your opening statement I guess this may have been answered elsewhere if so sorry to ask again.

The V5c does have the Revenue Weight stated. What is the Revenue Weight please?

Steve

My V70 has a Mass in Service listed on the V5 but the Revenue Weight is blank

Checking Mrs SDA's 16 reg. Twingo it has a Mass in Service of 1068kg and a Revenue Weight of 1413kg Gross. I haven't checked the Renault's plate but that looks as if the Revenue Weight would be the GVW.

To be honest that is what I beginning to assume. But having checked there is 150KG diffrence between the revenue weight and quoted GVW. The V5c has the lower weight.

Steve

The V5c does have the Revenue Weight stated. What is the Revenue Weight please?

Steve

According to information issued by the Department for Transport, revenue weight means, quote, 'either "confirmed maximum gross weight" as determined by plating and testing regulations, or "design weight" for vehicles not subject to plating and testing (formerly known as Restricted HGVs'. It is only used to calculate excise duty for goods vehicles, but has no technical significance for private vehicles.

• Like 1