I agree, but the price I got last night was marginally cheaper than a week before, also may bight the bullet and pod out the £440. 00 for the frequent traveler tickets.

At least with the Tunnel worst case scenario you can you rock up, pay and they will get you across without a booking.

• Like 1

Handy to know that thank you as I rejected these crossing this year when I Did our holiday deal as with kids as the arrival and departure were very awkward.

What's the name of the campsite for future ref please.

As it happens this year the £40 more for the crossing to Cherborg will be saved in fuel driving from Caen so happy days.

The site is now called Riva Bella but was formerly Des Pommiers, 5 mins max from the port and they stay open for the afternnon arrivals around 10pm. Very often no need to unhitch and certainly no need to book. Use it twice a year.

Of course the OP could be turning left at Calais so the Portsmouth route would be no use to him.

May well be and he/she would choose accordingly but my point was that there are plenty from Wales and the West country who drive past Portsmouth to grab a bargain then spend a day driving back to the West coast or Brittany

• Like 2

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

The OP lives in Beford, so perhaps Harwich to the Hook of Holland would suit. At present the Caravan Club have an offer and I checked details on Friday last week. Here's the result for a return crossing for our size car and caravan on dates of my choosing:

Car 4. 5 metres, Caravan 6 metres

Outward: 09 Apr 2017 Harwich - Hook of Holland
Dep: 10:00 Arr: 18:00
Duration: 7hr 0min

Return: 28 May 2017 Hook of Holland - Harwich
Dep: 13:45 Arr: 19:45
Duration: 7hr 0min
Ship Name: Stena Hollandica

Book now return price: £129. 65

David,

Thanks for the update on Les Pommiers, Now called Riva Bella. Its a great site as you say. Jiffy,- If you do use it and are arriving after dark, don't opt for the first available vacant pitch. In my opinion the ones further around the site, actually closer to the exit are the best. We now often use the site for a few days before we catch the ferry home in order to explore the Normandy area.

TF

• Like 1

As mentioned where you start from in UK can have a big impact on overall cost and convenience.

Where we live Dover and Newhaven are similar distances from home and Harwich is marginally closer so a good choice of more Eastern starting ports for us which are generally the cheapest options.

If traveling from South West or West, the western ports can obviously make more sense distance wise and even cost wise in some cases depending on final destination.

Obviously all of this may be irrelevant for some who simply want easiest and quickest journey for them - guess its lucky we all have so much choice

The Harwich routes look great value if you can deal with a 7 hour daytime crossing and are heading East, not sure that will work for us next year as likely to be Western /South Western france again

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

P&O - 9 metre motorhome, £54. DFDS - £189! Tunnel £78

All one way.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Have you considered a Portsmouth crossing to Caen, if you book online through the Caravan Club and take 7 camping cheques and be sure to take the afternoon crossing out and day crossing back when caravans go free, you are looking at less than £300 and since that will include a weeks camping the crossing is effectively less than £200

So how does this work? I am not a caravan club member at present but would be interested in joining if I can get a cheaper crossing - or is this low season only?

I am not absolutely certain whether you need to be a member but a quick call would answer that. How it works, there is an entity in the travel industry called ITX fare whereby if you book transport and accommodation its possible to get a reduction, rather like the deals where you book a bus or train and a hotel room . In this case you either book sites or camping cheques along with the ferry and it CAN result in significant savings. The reductions vary a lot from nothing to examples such as I quoted. If you are a CC member you could try playing with the bookings website and see what savings you could make or maybe ring them up and ask for advice. I dont think it has to be low season but if you were going down the Camping Cheques route rather than booking sites these are primarily intended for low season and wont be a lot of use in peak periods (you could sell them though).

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

So how does this work? I am not a caravan club member at present but would be interested in joining if I can get a cheaper crossing - or is this low season only?

Certainly do offer in high season as our dates are in Aug school holidays.

If you google the caravan club travel service and give them a ring.

I got the impression when we booked Normandy that there were only a few ferries on certain dates that were offer price and you may have missed them this year as they don't get released until the first day of the NEC and were selling fast.

They did seem to have 10 or 20 percent off DFDS Dover Calais.

It

If you do go down the route of buying Camping Cheques in order to make a saving on the ferry price then there are always people who are willing to buy the cheques from you if you can't actually use them yourself. Don't expect to get the 'list' price, but you might get £10 each - so even for three cheques that's a further £30 potential saving.

Just booked Portsmouth-Caen £251 with the CC, including 5 Camping Cheques, late May coming back early July. If you are OK arriving at Caen at sundown on the 14. 45 ferry and coming back at 8. 30 then it's worth considering. Camping Riva Bella is now an ACSI site and is much improved since privatisation.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Well we decided to bite the bullet, I did compare the options for both May & August school holidays and we weren't very flexible with our sailing times. It cost £291 for each return crossing from Dover to Caen for car & caravan and three passengers via the CC. I contacted DFDS and they couldn't come up with any better offers and even suggested booking directly with the CC as there fares are lower.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

We will be travelling Harwich to the Hook, with Stena line, en route to Austria next year. Still cant believe how much cheaper they are than Brittany ferries to France/Spain.

We have used this route to travel to Italy in 2015 and the price for next year is app £112.

But, next year, we are going to SW France from Cornwall so with Plymouth to Roscoff at £246 overnight including a cabin it is the cheaper overall deal once you add in the cost of fuel and overnights.

We will be travelling Harwich to the Hook, with Stena line, en route to Austria next year. Still cant believe how much cheaper they are than Brittany ferries to France/Spain.

We have used this route to travel to Italy in 2015 and the price for next year is app £112.

But, next year, we are going to SW France from Cornwall so with Plymouth to Roscoff at £246 overnight including a cabin it is the cheaper overall deal once you add in the cost of fuel and overnights.

Allan,we are doing the same as you and going to Italy via the Hook. Did you do the daytime crossing and if so where did you overnight on arrival at the Hook.

John.

Allan,we are doing the same as you and going to Italy via the Hook. Did you do the daytime crossing and if so where did you overnight on arrival at the Hook.

John.

Hi John,

I managed to mess up my post as the first two lines were quoting someone else!

We did the crossing in 2015 and it worked very well as we were visiting friends in Holland, calling at the Obelink store and then going on to Garda.

We spent the night prior to crossing in the check in lanes, Stenna confirmed that was OK,and had a day cabin which helped pass the time during the day.

We drove to Eerbeek and Camping Coldenhove for three nights, then an overnight by the Rhine before heading into Austria. We had intended to stop one night at Camping Aktiv in Prutz but liked it so much stayed for four.

From here it was an easy drive to Peschiera del Garda and so long my as you go via Landeck town the route is toll free til Bolzano.

• Like 1

We used to book Norfolk Ferries and then DFDS and could regularly purchase return tickets for car & caravan for £180 approx. Now DFDS are over £300 and later crossings are supposedly full but reserved for freight. Caravaners no longer their favourite customers.

I'm probably a cynic but haven't their prices been increasing since they got rid of MyFerryLink. ---- which was probably their aim. ;)

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Hi John,

I managed to mess up my post as the first two lines were quoting someone else!

We did the crossing in 2015 and it worked very well as we were visiting friends in Holland, calling at the Obelink store and then going on to Garda.

We spent the night prior to crossing in the check in lanes, Stenna confirmed that was OK,and had a day cabin which helped pass the time during the day.

We drove to Eerbeek and Camping Coldenhove for three nights, then an overnight by the Rhine before heading into Austria. We had intended to stop one night at Camping Aktiv in Prutz but liked it so much stayed for four.

From here it was an easy drive to Peschiera del Garda and so long my as you go via Landeck town the route is toll free til Bolzano.

Thanks Allan, interesting info, we are going Harwich to the Hook next year en route to Austria.