Sign in to follow this  
Beermonster

The Ultimate Tow Car?

post-73749-0-01774000-1477677901_thumb.jpg

Ok maybe not but it sounds amazing 😉

Not to me it doesn't !

• Like 1

Probably couldn't lug a greasy sausage off a greasy plate unless run in the lower gears all the time. Might do in America where fuel is dirt cheap .

post-73226-0-63470600-1477682568_thumb.jpg

Here's one I made earlier,

sounds even better and has got enough grunt to pull anything. Unfortunately only weighs 1200 kg!

I'll stick with my 4x4 thanks.

Me too and mine does make the right sort of noise when you push it. :D

It's a nice car, but not a tow car.

John. :)

Its just a tarted up Nissan Navara! :lol:

Me too and mine does make the right sort of noise when you push it. :D

Do you have a Land Rover by any chance? They require a good bit of pushing in my experience. Part and parcel of owning one more often than not.

. ..... Might do in America where fuel is dirt cheap . ....

Having lived and worked in America I would say fuel is not dirt cheap in America . .. it may be a bit less expensive that here but I would not call it dirt cheap.

A few months ago I was working In Jeddah (Saudi Arabia) I filled up for 7p per litre . .. now that is dirt cheap.

Do you have a Land Rover by any chance? They require a good bit of pushing in my experience. Part and parcel of owning one more often than not.

Done 142,000 miles now, 28,000 since l have owned it, not let me down once, only been in a garage for MoTs and tyres, had routine maintenance and odd minor repair (nothing that would have kept it of the road though) done at home. Didn't have many problems with my previous Discovery V8 either.

Edited by Mogwyth

Done 142,000 miles now, 28,000 since l have owned it, not let me down once, only been in a garage for MoTs and tyres, had routine maintenance and odd minor repair (nothing that would have kept it of the road though) done at home. Didn't have many problems with my previous Discovery V8 either.

I had a diesel Discovery 3, maybe that is where I went wrong though not all the problems were engine related. Never found it that stable other than being underpowered. ... Never again. In my experience the most stable tow cars are those with a low centre of gravity and best with low profile tyres.

I had a diesel Discovery 3, maybe that is where I went wrong though not all the problems were engine related. Never found it that stable other than being underpowered. ... Never again. In my experience the most stable tow cars are those with a low centre of gravity and best with low profile tyres.

Not going to question the reliability comments, some people have problems some don't but your comments about it as a tow vehicle are are a bit puzzling, we are talking about the Land Rover Discovery 3/4 that has probably won more tow car of the year awards from more organisations that any other vehicle. My D3 is rock solid at the well in excess of the towing speed limit (on private property) with 2000kg behind and I regularly tow up to its 3. 5t limit (livestock trailer) again without any stability issues. Yes the V8 has more hp but the diesel has better torque so theoretically is a better tow vehicle. I have been towing for about 35 years not just for pleasure but also professionally (in the past) and towing similar weights never found a car the equal of any of the 4x4s or trucks that I used for towing.

Not going to question the reliability comments, some people have problems some don't but your comments about it as a tow vehicle are are a bit puzzling, we are talking about the Land Rover Discovery 3/4 that has probably won more tow car of the year awards from more organisations that any other vehicle. My D3 is rock solid at the well in excess of the towing speed limit (on private property) with 2000kg behind and I regularly tow up to its 3. 5t limit (livestock trailer) again without any stability issues. Yes the V8 has more hp but the diesel has better torque so theoretically is a better tow vehicle. I have been towing for about 35 years not just for pleasure but also professionally (in the past) and towing similar weights never found a car the equal of any of the 4x4s or trucks that I used for towing.

It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things and had the same opinions. I found the d3 sluggish and wollowy. It also left me stranded twice in just over 3 yrs and 25k miles also had numerous other faults.

I find sporty estate cars a better proposition for towing large caravans.

Edited by Grandpa Steve

BMW X5 M50D, I want one badly! In my experience of towing car trailers and caravans its best to start with a vehicle that handles well when solo, it will only get worse with a heap of kg's hanging off the back.

BMW X5 M50D, I want one badly! In my experience of towing car trailers and caravans its best to start with a vehicle that handles well when solo, it will only get worse with a heap of kg's hanging off the back.

Friend has got one of these towing a TA Coachman Laser (he is doing alright for himself) and he says it is by far the best thing he has ever towed with and wipes the floor with his previous LR Discovery and Mercedes ML. The power is just immense and its stable as a rock. He still finds it fun when even with the caravan on the back he leaves virtually everything standing pulling away from the lights.

• Like 1

Friend has got one of these towing a TA Coachman Laser (he is doing alright for himself) and he says it is by far the best thing he has ever towed with and wipes the floor with his previous LR Discovery and Mercedes ML. The power is just immense and its stable as a rock. He still finds it fun when even with the caravan on the back he leaves virtually everything standing pulling away from the lights.

They are very powerful indeed - just the three turbos. ..

Also comes in 5 series form for those that prefer cars.

One good thing with the ML is it gets a decent sized engine to begin with instead of this current crazy way of badge engineering. Not disputing the M50d is magnificent vehicle of course.

3. 0 litre six pot diesel isn't exactly tiny.

Quite right,its not tiny but its along way from the percieved 5 litre badge on the tailgate. The ML being a 4 litre v8 is more like it,for me anyway.

Quite right,its not tiny but its along way from the percieved 5 litre badge on the tailgate. The ML being a 4 litre v8 is more like it,for me anyway.

Yep the badging is annoying.

I have been asked if/told my BM M135i has a 3. 5 litre engine several times. Nope it's the same size as a 30i, 40i and 50i!

The new 550i looks vet tasty. Proper big engine and it should be coming out as a Touring. Well over 400bhp and non-shouty looks too. Ideal!!

Edited by Kernowlad

Going back (a long way) the BMW code was model (3,5,7) and engine capacity (2. 0, 2. 5, 2. 8,3. 0) but the latter has been used subsequently for power rather than capacity - bit like Volvo's D4/D5 confusion.

• Like 1

The Merc pickup on the previous page seems to me to be a car that didn't need to be made.

Merc are good at this. For example you can get a C Class saloon, estate or coupe and then there's the cross-over GLC. But just in case, you can now also get the GLC coupe.

• Like 1