Sign in to follow this  
Moby dick

New Caravan Problems - Advice Invited

Sounds reasonable to me, although I've only experience of the older now redundant blown air systems.

Think of a domestic fan heater only used on 1KW setting, then after not being used for months the 2KW setting is used, any hair or dust etc gets hot and creates enough smell to prompt turning the setting back to 1KW sharpish. Been there done it.

So I would suggest regular use of full power is used? Perhaps the heater air inlet could do with some sort of filter?

• Like 1

Is it right that Truma UK are situated at Derby, that's a long way to go if you live in the south of England

Is it right that Truma UK are situated at Derby, that's a long way to go if you live in the south of England

The OP lives in Stafford about 22 miles from Truma UK which may be closer than the supplying dealer.

My advice to the OP would be to take his caravan to the supplying dealer, with whom he has the contract of sale, for the dealer to resolve all the issues. If the caravan has been obtained by way of a finance arrangement it may be the property of the finance company who should deal these issues.

Edited by DeeTee
  • Like 1

We have a, now two years old, Swift Quattro with the 6kW combi - never had a smell. All cooker knobs intact; never had condensation in sunroof. Amazing that a production line can produce such varying results.

I can understand your point of view but removing the bungs sorts it. The heating problem I had to look for on swift talk forum and others only because I was worried we might go up in flames! . Unfortunately caravan dealers/ manufacturers are definitely NOT up to any car dealer and I personally wouldn't let it get in the way of enjoying my van. I hope you resolve your other problems

I had this problem with the Combi too! On the very first trip away in a very cold week it started making the smell around 11pm! Thought it was a serious issue and turned the hot water and heating off for the night. Bloody freezing! :)

Edited by ricky_s
  • Like 1

I had this problem with the Combi too! On the very first trip away in a very cold week it started making the smell around 11pm! Thought it was a serious issue and turned the hot water and heating off for the night. Bloody freezing! :)

I agree with posting suggesting that I visit Truma. I know the area well and yes not far away, quite a pleasant surprise surprise usually a million miles away in these situations. They appear to be very hospitable and willing to put my mind at rest. .certainly not fobbed me off anyhow. ..

Ricky what was the outcome of your unit as you had the same issues? Voodoo reason for packing get a bottle of brandy then. ...

Edited by Moby dick
  • Like 1

Ricky what was the outcome of your unit as you had the same issues? Voodoo reason for packing get a bottle of brandy then. ...

The next morning I googled the issue and found it is seen as normal. Took ages to get the van warm after that though. :)

It only seems to happen with the heating and hot water on but I've had no issues (apart from the smell, which doesn't bother me now) since.

• Like 2

A Thetford oven I presume?

Common problem, covered here

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/117752-screws-loose-and-wayward-knobs/

No need to go through dealer, Thetford informed me it was a faulty batch of knobs, and a new supplier had since been utilised

They should email you a claim form, fill it out, email it back and a few days later 6 brand new shiny knobs should pop through your letterbox

As for the sunroof, common problem, same thing happens to our van in certain weather conditions. Best thing I did was junk the hard, brittle plastic bungs and obtain some soft replacements from Ebay, have noticed a marked improvement

• Like 2