Cutlery Drawer Dropped On One Side

I don't own a sprite, but my last two vans have been the same as far a removing drawers. if you look inside the drawer on the left and on the right about half way down and about 2inches back there could be a screw which when removed allows the drawer to be pulled out.

If its the cutlery drawer under the kitchen worktop, they are extremely difficult to work on. You probably will not be able to fix it yourself. Is it the one with the plastic tray which scrapes on the metal bracket below it?

Ern

Thanks but no screw just solid plastic tray.

That's the one Ern!

The dealers know how to fix it. I think they have had a bit of practice. Don't mess with it - it will drive you mad.

Ern

I removed mine( Sprite alpine4 2014) by unscrewing the runners on the side of the drawer. I had to do that because the bloody waste pipe had popped off the bottom of the sink and was leaking into the cupboard . Once you undo the runners it's easy to get them back on.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

How many screws was that Lozzyf? Can only see 2 but would have thought there would be more.

If I remember right there was only two !!!

There are two screws within the drawer which release the drawer from the runner. Remove the drawer from the unit. On my Challenger the runner was fixed with the screw through a plywood block forcing the plies apart and allowing the runner to drop. Measure the distance between the runner and half way through the main vertical part of the casing. Remove the existing screw the one nearest the front of the drawer. Obtain a screw the size you have measured. Lift the metal runner to the correct position and drill a hole through the ply block and just enter the main casing. Now supporting the runner in place and fix the new screw in position. I have done this for all the kitchen drawers and the front drawer unit which all had this problem. Yes I know I carry too much rubbish!

Thanks Rabbie, we're away at the moment an sounds like a job for when we're home. Seems a common problem which wouldn't happen if they'd just used a more solid piece of wood to fix the runner to. post-80256-0-25428900-1477646118_thumb.jpg

Edited by IanSmart
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I now have a level drawer. Despite Swift's instructions that the drawer should just lift out I removed the 2 screws at the front of the drawer and it just slid right out. Removed the screw 'holding' the runner and put in back in a fresh hole. Will probably put an extra screw in in spring just to be certain won't happen again.

• Like 1

Well I now have a level drawer. Despite Swift's instructions that the drawer should just lift out I removed the 2 screws at the front of the drawer and it just slid right out. Removed the screw 'holding' the runner and put in back in a fresh hole. Will probably put an extra screw in in spring just to be certain won't happen again.

I didn't look for instructions!!! But at least your drawer is ok now and probably better than most!!!

Ours did this and came open on route as a result.

I re-screwed the dropped baton and then fixed the main culprit which was the drawer runner's attachment to the drawer.

This was fixed by using a small nut and bolt on each side to secure the plastic drawer to the runner (new holes required drilling).

The problem with the design as I see it is that using tapping screws on the thin plastic tray is never going to last long. There's just not enough material to grip to.

Edit: our drawer is of the same construction as pictured above but wider, so more prone to the forces acting on it while moving. The holes we had to drill were through the tray itself; there are plenty in the runners.

Edited by Freestyle6