Useful Book For Beginners

Poppymay

We picked up our first caravan (a second hand one) yesterday and whilst the seller talked us through how everything works and I took notes, I found it a lot to take in. I wondered if anyone could recommend a book that shows you the basics? Thanks a lot!

Poppymay,

Haynes Caravan Manual by John Wickersham is supposed to be very good.

John

It helps if you can find an edition that roughly matches the age of your van, although there is still a lot of good stuff in it anyway.

It also helps to read it alongside your owners handbook, because quite a lot of the kit changes over the years.

I'd agree that the Wickersham book is good, and it taught us a lot when we started out.

However, that was before the days of Caravan Talk which I have to say has answers to everything.

I found it useful in the past because 35 years ago and for the next 10 years I had the same 'van and did my own servicing etc. Changed 'van and carried out own servicing for the next 8 years, Not looked at the latest edition but wonder if it might be a little dated depending on how updated thst issue was from previous ones.

We do not know the model or age of your van though Poppymay.

This Website has lots of information for the beginner and the seasoned caravanner.

https://caravanchronicles. com/guides/

We may even be able to point you to a copy of your handbook if you don't have it.

Edited by b4bill

Poppymay,

Just a suggestion - change your profile to include details of your new van, as this will make it easier for us to help you in future.

(Go to Your Name at top-right, then My Profile, then Edit Profile, down to the end).

John

I hadn't thought of adding that - good idea. I have done it now. We've got an Abbey Expression 470 (1998). I have looked on the internet, to see if there might be handbooks published, but I haven't found anything. Some of the information I wanted to read up on is quite generic, though, things like how to connect water in and water out, how to set up the toilet etc.

I hadn't thought of adding that - good idea. I have done it now. We've got an Abbey Expression 470 (1998). I have looked on the internet, to see if there might be handbooks published, but I haven't found anything. Some of the information I wanted to read up on is quite generic, though, things like how to connect water in and water out, how to set up the toilet etc.

Poppymay,

Thanks for updating your profile.

If you can't find help in a book or by googling - just ask on here, and almost certainly someone will know the answer . .. especially if it's 'quite generic' :).

John

Haynes Caravan Manual by John Wickersham is supposed to be very good.

Not looked at the latest edition but wonder if it might be a little dated depending on how updated thst issue was from previous ones.

I was talking to John's daughter, Sammy, at the NEC last week and I understand from her that her Dad encouraged her to take up the pen and keep his publications up to date with new editions.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

If you are a Kindle user there is a generic caravan user guide called :- Make The Most Of Your Caravan. Author:- Rob McCabe

Assuming you are going to be towing, go to www. thencc. org. uk and download their 'Towing Guide'. It contains lots of useful advice.

As others have said there is a wealth of information in the forum.

Best of luck

If you join the Caravan Club, their annual guide has a wealth of useful information. They also have a load of fact sheets available on the web site - http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/advice-and-training/new-to-touring/advice-leaflets-for-beginners which may even be available for non-members.