Teppanyaki Electric Grill

mr_h

I have just bought a Teppanyaki electric grill (actually made by Excelvan) for use in the caravan. I can use it in addition to the electric ring in the van, but instead of standing outside using the BBQ if SWMBO decides that's what she wants to eat. It has a drip tray which (according to the instructions) should be half filled with water, and I assume is for catching the fat which drips through. The instructions also say that you should not put anything between the grill plate and the food.

I have 2 questions for anyone who might already have this bit of kit:

1. Could I use the drip tray as a grill tray (as one does with the home cooker where the heat source is above rather than below)? and

2. Could I use the drip tray for cooking ON TOP of the grill, or at least cover the grill in tinfoil so that cleaning is made that much easier?

Over the years, I have had loads of them, large small. At home or in the caravan, on all of the ones used the drip tray is an oblong plastic tray? I did have an electric grill, that had a metal drip tray that you had to keep water in. Did not have it longer than one season as I had it catch fire (fat residue), so I reverted to the Teppanyaki. For this season I have a Gas version by Cadac for low amp sites!

I use this type?

post-78960-0-63115900-1476466602_thumb.jpg

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

This is the one I bought, the drip tray is metal. Although slightly different to yours, it's still sold as a Teppanyaki. post-44343-0-18554700-1476473345_thumb.png

Will be taking ours to use in the awning in lieu of the BBQ this half term. Tried it out today for the first time and I looks like it will be spot on. Ours is branded as VonChef

We bought and tried the aldi one but didn't like it so we passed it on, we prefer the caravans cooker or our gas cooker thing for outdoors.

fatless grill

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Will be taking ours to use in the awning in lieu of the BBQ this half term. Tried it out today for the first time and I looks like it will be spot on. Ours is branded as VonChef

For your own SAFETY don't do it. (COOK IN THE AWNING)

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

Was in Aldi today and the Teppanyaki Grill has been reduced to Half price. For £10 it was hard to resist.

2012 Swift Conqueror 630 towed by Toyota Hilux Invincible

Why not?

I believe that David is referring to the bit where he says his caught fire, I've seen a gas bbq flare up and that was very impressive, even my little gas cooker has a water filled ring to catch the fat, no doubt that would catch fire if it run dry.

Over the years, I have had loads of them, large small. At home or in the caravan, on all of the ones used the drip tray is an oblong plastic tray? I did have an electric grill, that had a metal drip tray that you had to keep water in. Did not have it longer than one season as I had it catch fire (fat residue), so I reverted to the Teppanyaki. For this season I have a Gas version by Cadac for low amp sites!

I use this type?

Paul B

• 8 months later...

Just bought one of these . are you restricted on some sites because of the amps?

Edited by Lozzyf

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

You need to take account of the wattage especially if you are using the microwave, electric kettle, heating, hot water or hairdryer etc on leccy as well. So turn other stuff off when you are using it

We had three teppanyaki users all blow their EHU trips (three mornings in a row) earlier this year whilst cooking breakfast - they had all come as a group and were no doubt boiling kettles, heating water and grilling at the same time

1000w = approx 4 amps, so an electric kettle could be around 800w (3. 5amps) (for a camping one) up to 3kw for a standard one. Depending on what sort of heating or hot water system you've got in your van you could be using up to 3kw (13amps) (13amps) and a microwave would be around 1500watts (6-7amps) (even an 800watt microwave will pull 6 amps)

Dunno what a teppanyaki grill takes but I suspect it's around 1000 - 1500watts = 6-7 amps.

Most EHU's will give 10-16amps - depending on the site, but not if everyone is using them all at the same time so take note

Y

Edited by Lozzyf

You need to take account of the wattage especially if you are using the microwave, electric kettle, heating, hot water or hairdryer etc on leccy as well. So turn other stuff off when you are using it

We had three teppanyaki users all blow their EHU trips (three mornings in a row) earlier this year whilst cooking breakfast - they had all come as a group and were no doubt boiling kettles, heating water and grilling at the same time

1000w = approx 4 amps, so an electric kettle could be around 800w (3. 5amps) (for a camping one) up to 3kw for a standard one. Depending on what sort of heating or hot water system you've got in your van you could be using up to 3kw (13amps) (13amps) and a microwave would be around 1500watts (6-7amps) (even an 800watt microwave will pull 6 amps)

Dunno what a teppanyaki grill takes but I suspect it's around 1000 - 1500watts = 6-7 amps.

Most EHU's will give 10-16amps - depending on the site, but not if everyone is using them all at the same time so take note

I think the Von shef is 2000watts So the trick is to turn all other stuff off then

We found the Von chef a bit hit and miss. Either cremating what's on it then next minute barely warm?

We found the Von chef a bit hit and miss. Either cremating what's on it then next minute barely warm?

Oooooooooo, that's not good maybe the thermostat was cream crackered. I hope ours isn't like that. We're away soon so will see

We didn't like our aldi one for the same reason so we gave it away

Paul B

We didn't like our aldi one for the same reason so we gave it away

Have had no problems with our Aldi one, in fact,we bought another for the house.

• Like 1

2012 Swift Conqueror 630 towed by Toyota Hilux Invincible

Have had no problems with our Aldi one, in fact,we bought another for the house.

It could be us, we're used to cooking on gas :)

Paul B

Take one of these with you. Should open up most locked circuit breaker boxes so less need to calculate the amperage. ..

http://www. screwfix. com/p/services-cabinet-key/16428

• Like 1

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog