Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Young Driver Insurance

My daughter is the main driver on her insurance, I'm a named driver which helps to keep the premium down. I'm the main driver on my insurance, my wife is on but as a learner driver, this lowers my premium :blink:

As for young drivers (and I'm repeating myself), its worth checking out Marmalade https://www. wearemarmalade. co. uk/

If the insurance was in Timmy's parents name with him a named driver, insurance may be lets say £500 a year. If it was in Timmy's name with his parents as named drivers insurance for example would be £3k per year.

The view the insurance would likely take is that due to the nature of the journey and the time, it is likely that Timmy would be classified as the main driver and that the insurance is more than likely being fronted in order to get lower premiums. It would be up to Timmy to prove that he would not be classified as the main driver.

Yes Dave, I get that, but how would you prove it, and to whom? Has anyone ever been asked to prove it? Just curious, not trying to start an argument. ... :)

Yes Dave, I get that, but how would you prove it, and to whom? Has anyone ever been asked to prove it? Just curious, not trying to start an argument. ... :)

There are plenty of occasions where rightly and wrongly people have been accused of fronting by the insurance. How to prove you are/are not is where things get tricky and would no doubt be a long drawn out process. .

To prove you are not, maybe train tickets etc. ..

To whom is the easy bit. The insurance company.

Fortunately I have not had to worry about fronting. I was lucky in that when I started driving, insurance on a 1. 1 Fiesta (shared with my sister - also a new driver) was £700 back in 1994 and not the ridiculous prices you see now days.

A quick google brings up a thread about being wrongly accused in this case.

http://www. consumeractiongroup. co. uk/forum/showthread. php?129587-how-do-i-prove-we-are-not-fronting-the-car-insurance-policy

Edited by Dave_N
  • Like 1

If the insurance was in Timmy's parents name with him a named driver, insurance may be lets say £500 a year. If it was in Timmy's name with his parents as named drivers insurance for example would be £3k per year.

Underwriters would also look at any other vehicle that Timmy's parent owned. If the parent already had one car registered to them, the second car would warrant a closer look.

Owner - Registered keeper (on V5C) - keeper - driver can be 4 different people. ;)

My daughter is the main driver on her insurance, I'm a named driver which helps to keep the premium down. I'm the main driver on my insurance, my wife is on but as a learner driver, this lowers my premium :blink:

As for young drivers (and I'm repeating myself), its worth checking out Marmalade https://www. wearemarmalade. co. uk/

Same here, but also because I do use our daughter's car occasionally - usually to ferry her and her mates into town when they go out for the night.

She also has a black box fitted to reduce her premium, which I also have to remember is there so I drive her car sensibly!

Same here, but also because I do use our daughter's car occasionally - usually to ferry her and her mates into town when they go out for the night.

She also has a black box fitted to reduce her premium, which I also have to remember is there so I drive her car sensibly!

Daughter refused to have a black box on her car, because in her words' you drive it like a jet propelled roller skate, and I do not want the blame'.

Probably true!

Zoe is a very sensible driver, who will be going on the Freelander2 insurance at its next renewal!

Whatever you do make sure your name and his mums are on the policy as that really lowers the cost! Dropped Zoe's by about £500.

Underwriters are aware that some parents appear to be the 'owner' of their child's car. See this article.

PR1's advice in no way suggests the OP fronts the insurance for the young driver, so why have people jumped on the band wagon.

Adding older drivers to a policy as named drivers can make quite a difference to the cost, as opposed to the young driver on their own.

Another thing to think about is that if the insurance is in the new drivers name they build up a no claims bonus, if its in the parents name they don't.

Adding older drivers to a policy as named drivers can make quite a difference to the cost, as opposed to the young driver on their own.

Correct. We reduced our daughter's first insurance premium by doing this. I assumed adding a driver to her policy would up the premium and we asked why it reduced it. The explanation was that they calculated it reduced the risk to them because for at least some of the time the car is in the charge of an experienced driver.

So even if somebody isn't planning to drive it pays to add somebody to the policy. You also have the benefit of somebody else fully insured to drive if they need to.

Ed - I should add this obviously only works if the added driver has no accident or claims record of course. Once I'd made a claim adding me did bump her premium up so I came off.

Edited by Tin_Snail

Maybe I'm missing something obvious to everyone else (if so I'm sorry), but if every named driver is covered when driving, when would 'who is main/who is named' ever arise? If there's an incident, I'm not aware that part of the claim process asks for which driver you are. ...

In years past and present, offspring of ours have one or other of us as named drivers, mainly because it reduces the premium, and SWMBO is a named driver on my policy even though she's never sat behind my car's wheel. When the offspring had a minor ding (her fault) I don't think she was asked whether she drove her car more, or less, than I did - so if the contract to provide cover is made and paid for and cover is provided. .... I ask again, has anyone ever been asked to demonstrate that they drove/used/commanded/whatever the car more or less than the one who had the claim? And much more importantly (to me) what means was used to evidence that demonstration? A log of some kind, or just a statement (true or otherwise) from the 'main' driver? If the latter, was it accepted as honest or were checks carried out, and how? I simply don't see how it could be verified, and if not, would leave cover wide open, I'd have thought. ..

Promise I'm not being argumentative for its own sake; I'm genuinely puzzled, and the more my question is unanswered the more curious I get as to the reason :)

If I'm being thick, tell me - I won't be offended :blink:

I did laugh at

Fortunately I have not had to worry about fronting. I was lucky in that when I started driving, insurance on a 1. 1 Fiesta (shared with my sister - also a new driver) was £700 back in 1994 and not the ridiculous prices you see now days.

. .. I thought £700 was extortionate (although believe it to be accurate), as my first 3PF&T on my old minivan cost me £30/year,(around 1969) which iirc rose to about £50 when I went fully comp a year or two later and that was without adding parents, who said if I wanted it, it was up to me to provide. ...learning to stand on my own feet etc. .. :)

Edited by Coriolis

Admiral insurance worked for us. Son was 17 and they were very competitive on a multicar policy. I did double and triple check that any accidents he has won't affect mine or my wifes policies.

I cant remember exactly, but at the time they did some sort of "free" one year no claims, which made a huge difference in price and essentially means he started with a years no claims. This carries on ofcourse while we renew with Admiral. Have renewed twice since and both times they were very competitive - this was for fully comprehensive as well.

Usually the "main driver" things does not really matter unless one of the drivers is a much higher risk.

Where a married couple are involved, although you need to specify one as main driver, this does not really matter as it is expected that both would be able to drive the car equally (even if they don't).

In the circumstance of your offspring having a prang, you mention it was her car and her insurance with you as a named driver. She was a much higher risk than you and therefore if the accident had happened with you instead of her it would not have been an issue as the insurance the other way around would have been less.

Some insurers may insure parent=main, offspring=named, but would refuse to insure offspring=main, parent=named as the risk would be too high for them.

• Like 1

Ah yes, I think I see the point now, looking from that perspective which I'd missed earlier! Thanks for the patient explanation :)

Have you tried Adrien Flux for insurance? I remember my next doors kids got a brilliant deal when they couldn't get a reasonably priced cover anywhere else.

With regard to main driver, as long as the parent named as the main driver does actually drive the car and could prove it, then no problem. .......Peter

Underwriters are aware that some parents appear to be the 'owner' of their child's car. See this article.

PR1's advice in no way suggests the OP fronts the insurance for the young driver, so why have people jumped on the band wagon.

I don’t understand why my posting was used to illustrate your view that “people have jumped on the band wagon.”

If you refer to my previous post at No. 8 in the topic you will see that my daughter and I are in the same position as the original poster. Ie: we both have a 16 year old with the promise of a car but no insurance. My daughter and I talked about where we would store the car; how we would transport it and even if it would be taxed to do so. We then moved on to driver insurance. My daughter thought she’d discovered the bright idea of registering and insuring the car in her name with my grandson as an additional driver. I was quick to point out that what she was proposing was illegal.

It was following on from that discussion only two hours later that I added my post and link. In no way was I criticizing or suggesting that anyone was planning to break the law. And I certainly wasn’t jumping on any bandwagon.

• Like 2

Don't worry, posts like this are bound to throw up little side points that need to be taken into consideration. .....Peter

Insure the car in his name but with "you" as a second, named driver.

Knocked an absolute fortune off my other half's premium and give us flexibility to drive each others car

Russ

• Like 1

Slightly off topic as a young driver of 18 years old I was paying £14000 a year at today's value 40 years ago on a new Volvo so high insurance for young drivers is not new .

Dave

• Like 1

Years ago the insurance was evened out by the older driver subsidising the young drivers, this idea was kerbed when new drivers bought more powerful cars which led to more serious accidents. When they did away with the subsidising the older drivers premiums were reduced.

However over the last few years it seems to have gone back to the older drivers subsidising the young driver again, as with young lady drivers, they now subsidise the less carful male driver.

Having a box fitted to new drivers cars really does help the better drivers

I think the law says that you can't insure something in your name if it belongs to someone else

Hmm not so sure about that. My car is insured in my name, but it does not belong to me, it belongs to the lease company.

Hmm not so sure about that. My car is insured in my name, but it does not belong to me, it belongs to the lease company.

You have to have a financial interest to insure an item .

Dave

I acknowledged the error in post 16 :mellow:

My first premium in 1990 was £504. 10 for a Vauxhall Nova worth £2000!

I'm pleased to say I pay less than that for the car and the motorhome put together!

You can insure a car that is owned by a lease firm. When taking out a policy you will be asked if you are the registered keeper. If not, there are few options available, but a car being owned by a leasing firm is one.

Russ

Sign in to follow this