Sign in to follow this  
T00ts

Cycle Lane Dilemma

Unfortunately this set up encourages cyclists to ride up the inside of HGVs, regardless of the flashing LH indicator, voice warning that the vehicle is turning left and the large sticker on the back warning of the danger of this action. It may be relatively safe when the lights are showing red and traffic is stationary but they still do it when traffic starts moving. Cyclists MUST take responsibility for their actions.

:goodpost: That's what was happening yesterday.

Treat them like wild dogs and be prepared to prod them with sharp sticks.

They are slightly better road users than bus drivers, neither of which should be using the roads without their guide dogs.

H.

• Like 2

Treat them like wild dogs and be prepared to prod them with sharp sticks.

They are slightly better road users than bus drivers, neither of which should be using the roads without their guide dogs.

H.

Naughty! :ph34r: You know you don't really mean it, we all know that underneath you are the regular teddybear!

Perhaps he means riding two abreast in sociable groups which they are perfectly entitled to do. :rolleyes:;)

I am very disappointed at the hostility being shown in this topic to vulnerable road users.

Perhaps the Social Club could have a sub forum named Road wars where these topics could be discussed?

There are lycra clad ruffians who decorate themselves with more helmet

and cycle cameras than a more moderate cyclist would, they are out

looking for trouble and "know their rights"

I followed a threesome of these shock troops to a local pub, on a good

B-road they rode three abreast at around 20mph with no concern for other

road users. I pulled into a layby and waited until they had gone they kept

looking back grinning.

51 years ago, I rode my bicycle under an articulated trailer, that turned left across me.

From that experience I can confirm that:

a) It is an experience I don't want to repeat.

b ) Twin trailer wheels, plus the trailer weight is very heavy when stopped on your leg.

c) I was very lucky to escape with just a grazed knee and a very bruised calf muscle.

d) I still wouldn't use a cycle path!

The M1 & A1 were in a bar sitting well away from a narrow piece of tarmac. The barman asks why they didn't sit with the tarmac and they said 'No way, he's a cyclepath' :P

Edited by Wunny
  • Like 3

Some junctions at traffic lights have a dedicated lane at the side and an area in front stationary traffic in which motorists should not stop. This permits cyclists to have a cycle lengths start at T/L junctions. Sadly many motorists fail to observe the rule. :(

Can you explain to me why a cyclist using the said area, would instead if keeping to the left, positions himself in the centre of the road effectively blocking the whole carriageway.

My most recent encounter was a cyclist that wove his way through two lanes of stationary traffic to arrive at the traffic lights, he then positioned himself centrally in the box between both lanes.

The lights changes and as we were turning left had no traffic obstructing our progress except for said cyclist, I tooted my horn to make him aware he was blocking our progress, he then informed me that he couldn't move because the traffic across the junction was impeding his progress, yet he had woven his way through traffic to get to his position.

He was quite abusive when I politely asked him to move, he was less abusive when I had to get out of the car, he very quickly found a gap across the junction and moved off.

Whilst I appreciate not every cyclist is as selfish as the one I encountered, he was in effect representing all the Lycra clad cyclists on the road.

• Like 2

Can you explain to me why a cyclist using the said area, would instead if keeping to the left, positions himself in the centre of the road effectively blocking the whole carriageway.

My most recent encounter was a cyclist that wove his way through two lanes of stationary traffic to arrive at the traffic lights, he then positioned himself centrally in the box between both lanes.

The lights changes and as we were turning left had no traffic obstructing our progress except for said cyclist, I tooted my horn to make him aware he was blocking our progress, he then informed me that he couldn't move because the traffic across the junction was impeding his progress, yet he had woven his way through traffic to get to his position.

He was quite abusive when I politely asked him to move, he was less abusive when I had to get out of the car, he very quickly found a gap across the junction and moved off.

Whilst I appreciate not every cyclist is as selfish as the one I encountered, he was in effect representing all the Lycra clad cyclists on the road.

What reason did you have to toot your warning instrument and get out of the car?

It can not be true cyclists do not stop for traffic lights, haha
  • Like 2

It can not be true cyclists do not stop for traffic lights, haha

Or zebra crossings!

Come on guys, if they put cameras on all the traffic lights we could pay off our national debt with the revenue from fixed penalties issued to motorists going through on red.

• Like 1

What reason did you have to toot your warning instrument and get out of the car?

Have you read the post or are you just being awkward.

He was blocking my progress in a left turn lane that was clear of traffic.

I tooted to remind him I was there, I asked him politely to move, he refused so I got out of the car to offer further persuasion, which had the desired effect :)

• Like 4

I tooted to remind him I was there, I asked him politely to move, he refused so I got out of the car to offer further persuasion, which had the desired effect :)

Would you kindly advise which sections of the Highway code justify your actions please?

Edited by DeeTee
  • Like 1

Cambridge, and at the lights, needing to turn left with a cycle lane full of cyclists, I am clearly indicating left!

Lights change to green and the cyclists are mostly going straight on, I wait for a clear break to turn but it doesn't happen and the lights change to red!

The cycle lane fills up again!

My question to the experts, is how many changes of the lights do I have to endure before I start to nudge my way through?

Edited by Hercules Grytpype_Thynne

In an attempt to answer, you should carry out your manoeuvre of turning left, keeping an eye out for suicyclists. If one gets close enough for you to take avoiding action, apply the brakes (hopefully blocking their path) and if applicable explain to them in childlike speak the error of their ways.

This will result in some twaddle about 'sharing the road' or 'my right of way' or even 'I'm allowed to filter through as the HC says so' There is no point in replying to any of these as it is too late for the poor souls, they have had Lycraitis, a terminal disease that leads to death by tyre treads.

H.

• Like 4

Cambridge, and at the lights, needing to turn left with a cycle lane full of cyclists, I am clearly indicating left!

Lights change to green and the cyclists are mostly going straight on, I wait for a clear break to turn but it doesn't happen and the lights change to red!

My question to the experts, is how many changes of the lights do I have to endure before I start to nudge my way through?

That's ridiculous! When did you crack and go for it?

• Like 1

I expect the legal one if it was ever tested by you having an accident, is as many as it takes.

But I know the problem it can be there.

Would you kindly advise which sections of the Highway code justify your actions please?

Coutesy and common sense are stressed in the Highway Code. Obstruction is an offence and the cyclist was deliberatley obstructing the flow fo traffic.

Edited by Durbanite
  • Like 2

When I started this thread I really thought it was a rather innocuous subject, however it seems not.

On reflection I realise that I am all in favour of a nicely toned rump clad in pretty lycra above well developed thighs and calves. Perhaps I should in future regard such situations as a well earned chance to sight see! :rolleyes:

I just wonder how long fellow road users would allow me to enjoy the view before road rage set in.

• Like 1

That's ridiculous! When did you crack and go for it?

I actually bottled it and went straight on under pressure from cars behind me! Eventually finding my way out of the city.

Never got to see how they dealt with the problem!

Never been to Cambridge since and have no plans ever to go again.

We do have this problem in London but as I have my Freedom Pass, the car doesn't get much use.

• Like 1

I have had this happen to me in London when driving an HGV, as posted on an earlier thread about cyclists.

Edited by chrisbee

There are lycra clad ruffians who decorate themselves with more helmet

and cycle cameras than a more moderate cyclist would, they are out

looking for trouble and "know their rights"

I followed a threesome of these shock troops to a local pub, on a good

B-road they rode three abreast at around 20mph with no concern for other

road users. I pulled into a layby and waited until they had gone they kept

looking back grinning.

Do they also have dash cams in their cars I wonder?

that seems quite an agressive response

• Like 1

that seems quite an agressive response

As I had explained the circumstances in my first post, I did wonder why DeeTee would ask a question that had already been answered.

Or were you referring to my response to the cyclist?

• Like 1

When I started this thread I really thought it was a rather innocuous subject, however it seems not.

On reflection I realise that I am all in favour of a nicely toned rump clad in pretty lycra above well developed thighs and calves. Perhaps I should in future regard such situations as a well earned chance to sight see! :rolleyes:

I just wonder how long fellow road users would allow me to enjoy the view before road rage set in.

That post is likely to attract replies you and Mods won't like----I had to severely restrain myself from making such a reply !!!!!!!!!!!

Ask Honk about cyclists----and some folks wonder why we are hostile towards them.

Edited by blondchaser

Here in London on the back roads with buildings right up to the corners, cyclists have this habit of cutting corners and entering the road on the wrong side!

I have lost count of the times, as I approach the junction, I am confronted with a cyclist heading for my bonnet.

So far they have seen me and gone into panic mode, making a huge correction!

One day I expect I'll be picking one off my bonnet, but I wonder who will get the blame and more to the point who will pay for the damage.

As I had explained the circumstances in my first post, I did wonder why DeeTee would ask a question that had already been answered.

Or were you referring to my response to the cyclist?

yes - I meant your response

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this