Sign in to follow this  
grahampy

Grass Or Hard

Generally we tend to choose a grass pitch for a caravan and hard standing for a motorhome, with the proviso that hard standing is preferred for caravans during the winter or particularly wet weather. Hard ground and awning pegs, while not good friends, is not an issue for us as we choose not to have an awning most of the time.

Unfortunately not all hard standing is good in poor weather, as illustrated in the image below where you still have to cross soft grass to get to solid ground.

Hardstanding or not - WP_20140414_002.jpg

Gordon.

On CC sites, it's either/or, due to the "white peg rule", but on our last outing on a CL, I was able to have the van on hard standing and the awning on grass, which was great.

Prefer grass over hard standing, though.

"white peg rule?" New one on me, what does it mean?

It is a club system that defines exactly where they want you to pitch your outfit.

Gordon.

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. I will use grass when dry and hard when wet.

The Caravan Club insist that you align the offside of your van to the White peg.

If you're more than about 1. 5mm off, the warden may make you move the van until it aligns exactly.*

* I may be exaggerating a bit ;)

• Like 1

A site we use quite often, is hard standing only except for the tent pitches. The hard standing is concrete base for the caravan and Cotswold stone for the awning. As we use this site for long weekends, we don't use the awning but we do use the canopy sometimes, or nothing! The site we use in France on a regular bases is all grass, then the site in Normandy (this year) was hard standing (scalping's), awning on grass. We don't mind, but many years ago when we were canvas dwellers, I could not get off this field, with a Vectra estate. so one of the reasons I tug with a 4 x 4!

Obviously everyone will have different answers depending on their preferences so neither can be called as 'better'.

For me it's hard standing every time, I don't like mud or wet grass everywhere and with young children they are prone to attracting both. We also generally use CC sites, I'm sure users of CL's are much more accepting of grass and indeed this may be their preferred pitch type.

why on a hot summers day do you have trouble with wet grass and mud? I can understand hard standing when raining or when the ground is very wet.

I prefer grass but when the ground is sodden hard standing is better. Grass is softer under foot, hard standing offers better "protection" in the wet. Both have their pros and cons

macafee2

You cannot tell from other's advice, what is going to suit you. For one thing, it is apparent from other threads on this forum the the definition of "Hard standing" can vary hugely from one site to another. The expression "suck it and see" comes to mind

Hardstanding all year round.

Same here

why on a hot summers day do you have trouble with wet grass and mud?

I dont. But often there's rain in amongst spells of hot weather. Obviously if it's warm and hot then grass can be fine for me and we have stayed on grass when there's been no hard standing available. I wasn't very clear in my post.

I'm with the guys above that prefer hardstanding in wet weather and grass in dry. Doesn't matter whether its winter or summer it can be just as wet in summer!

Oh one tip, we have a dog who has minor problems with her paws and really doesn't like much of the gravel that is used on the hardstanding pitches, so we take a second groundsheet/awning carpet and use it outside pegged down on the gravel - sorted!

It is a club system that defines exactly where they want you to pitch your outfit.

Gordon.

And dont they make sure. Some wardens or site managers as they like to be known are like a little gestapo type

WE mostly go for a hardstanding if available, but are equally at home on grass. On hardstanding, we put down a tarpaulin before laying the groundsheet. This keeps the groundsheet clean - rising damp during wet weather can otherwise make the groundsheet dirty. Sometimes there can be a problem in getting pegs to hold on a hardstanding, and even moderately windy weather can loosen them.

On grass, a good breathable groundsheet is used, and pegging is more secure. For levelling we use a 6" x 1" board, and the large plastic feet on the steadies are essential to prevent any gradual sinking, particularly when wet weather softens the ground.

Bought our caravan in March, and had a total of 40 nights over 6 location this year.

Had grass, hard standing, and all weather. We prefer grass, as we are converted campers. Had a hard standing in cornwall, and didn't particularly like it. Concrete for the caravan, but really large corse stones for under the awning. Really hurt the feet.

Just come back from Woolacombe, and an all weather supersized pitch. Absolutly great. Hard compacted ground, with a dusting of pea shingle. Fitted the car, caravan and awning, plus an area of grass with a large picnic table dedicated to the pitch.

All 6 sites have had hard standing areas/all weather pitches, and each one has been different. Unless you know the site, you take your chance.

We use either, dependant on the weather and the position of the pitch, relative to the view!

When on grass I have made some wooden feet for the steps to stop them sinking!

Also use a breathable awning carpet whatever surface that we are on!

I use the corner steady feet on the step. Drill a hole and job done. £3. 99 from Aldi