Sign in to follow this  
barnowl

Jeopardising Warranty

I'm wanting to fit a motormover to my new van but don't want to run into any warranty issues with the the van. Has anyone had any experience?

I'm wanting to fit a motormover to my new van but don't want to run into any warranty issues with the the van. Has anyone had any experience?

I have had no warrenty issues with having had a mover fitted.

I think the people to ask is the dealer but it has never been an issue to me,,regards,

Ian.

• Like 2

If there were warranty issues from having a motor mover fitted, the majority of modern vans out there would have no warranty.

• Like 1

If there were warranty issues from having a motor mover fitted, the majority of modern vans out there would have no warranty.

That's what I thought, just worried as I'll be drilling holes in the floor.

That's what I thought, just worried as I'll be drilling holes in the floor.

The warranty will not cover water ingress in the vicinity of the hole, but will still be valdi everywhere else.

For the sake of a couple of hundred pounds or less to get it fitted by an approved company I would not take the risk of problems .

Dave

• Like 1

For the sake of a couple of hundred pounds or less to get it fitted by an approved company I would not take the risk of problems .

Dave

I see your point, it's only £100 extra to have it fitted and that's what worries me. I just have a vision of it being a rushed job when they are going to drive to my home and fit it for just £100.

I'm a bit ocd when it comes to these things unfortunately.

These people fit movers on a daily basis, so they're a lot quicker than the average DIY fit which is why the price seems cheap. I wouldn't worry too much about them doing a shoddy job - especially if you're getting one from Powrtouch who have a really good reputation for customer care. Having said that, neither would I worry too much about the warranty issue if you are competent with this kind of job. As has been pointed out already, the only things which would be at risk would be anything arising directly from your installation. Much depends on how keen you are to crawl around under your caravan!

John M

• Like 2

Whilst I believed myself capable of fitting a PowrTouch mover to my caravan I felt that the fitting charge was a small price to pay for the experience and expertise of a Powrwheel mobile fitter who installed the mover. It was installed in a couple of hours or so while I was staying at a caravan site in Oxfordshire.

Dave

This will only get you 12mths warranty on the fitment.

Edited by wigelywoo

I went for a fully fitted powrtouch as it didn't give them wriggle room if anything went wrong (they were a new thing those days)/

It had a few hiccups but as I said it was new technology and they were sorted at no cost to me, its going on for 14 years old now and it still works perfectly although I'm frantically looking for some wood to touch as I say it :mellow:

• Like 1

At the caravan show there are sometimes some good prices to be had with free fitting. Even when it wasn't offered they did a 'deal' for us. Conversation went something like. "Fit it for free and I buy it now" "No Sir can't do that" "OK if you change your mind this is my number" Walked off. Guess what about 1/2 hour later. "We will be able to do that for you Sir. .................."

Having spent the last 35 years repairing HGVs, when the time came to get a mover I decided to fit it myself. When I bought a new 'van as part of the deal I got them to transfer the mover FOC. I reckon the yard cleaner fitted it! I spent the next afternoon rerouting and securing the wiring, replacing the badly crimped terminals with correctly fitted soldered ones and re-siting the isolation switch, once I'd tightened the mover to the chassis correctly.

• Like 1

Having spent the last 35 years repairing HGVs, when the time came to get a mover I decided to fit it myself. When I bought a new 'van as part of the deal I got them to transfer the mover FOC. I reckon the yard cleaner fitted it! I spent the next afternoon rerouting and securing the wiring, replacing the badly crimped terminals with correctly fitted soldered ones and re-siting the isolation switch, once I'd tightened the mover to the chassis correctly.

Unfortunately the " that'll do" attitude is rife, I've decided to do it myself for peace of mind.

You also have to consider if the mover goes wrong the first thing the supplier will ask is who fitted it . That's what I found when I fitted mine .

Dave

I had my mover fitted on my driveway. Excellent and the bonus was that I watched everything they did!

I fitted an inverter, then the caravan went in for some warranty work - I was told I had invalidated the warranty for the electrical system!

I fitted an inverter, then the caravan went in for some warranty work - I was told I had invalidated the warranty for the electrical system!

Which is, of course, rubbish. They would need to prove that any subsequent fault arising with the system was caused by your modification.

John M

Which is, of course, rubbish. They would need to prove that any subsequent fault arising with the system was caused by your modification.

John M

Any electrical damaged caused by a electrical fire would not be covered under your insurance . They would require any work carried out on the caravan to be done by a qualified person .

Dave

Any electrical damaged caused by a electrical fire would not be covered under your insurance . They would require any work carried out on the caravan to be done by a qualified person .

Dave

Only if the cause of the fire could be directly linked to incorrect fitting.

I had my mover fitted on my driveway. Excellent and the bonus was that I watched everything they did!

Were the fitters wearing Lycra? ;):D

• Like 2

Dave

That may or may not be true. Caravans aren't covered by the same electrical regulations as domestic properties. . Any decision on such damage would be down to the T&C of individual insurance companies. My comment was purely in regard to the warranty issue and was meant to point out that dealers use such scare tactics to prevent owners doing work which is well within their capabilities.

John M

Dave

Provided the work carried out is not found to be the cause of an incident leading to a claim, the insurer has no grounds to reject a claim. You do not have to be a "qualified person". Similarly, your warranty is not affected unless the claim is outside the terms of warranty.

QObviously, a dealer can reject a claim if you (and not they) are responsible for the failure. Basically, the work must be done correctly and anyone who isn't confident that they know how to do the work correctly should not be doing it.

Edited by Ern

The person that cause the damage is liable for any costs . If I have a plumber work in my house and he causes damage he is responsible not my insurance . My insurance will simply tell me to contact the plumber .

Give insurance companies any wriggle room and they will take it .

Caravans 240v systems are since 2008 come under the 17th Edition on wiring installation section 420 for Tourer caravans and motorhomes . Any work has to be certicated by a qualified electrician to be covered under your insurance .

Dave

The person that cause the damage is liable for any costs . If I have a plumber work in my house and he causes damage he is responsible not my insurance . My insurance will simply tell me to contact the plumber .

Give insurance companies any wriggle room and they will take it .

Caravans 240v systems are since 2008 come under the 17th Edition on wiring installation section 420 for Tourer caravans and motorhomes . Any work has to be certicated by a qualified electrician to be covered under your insurance .

Dave

The discussion is about warranty after fitting a mover (12v). As long as it's done properly, there's no problem.

Sign in to follow this