Sign in to follow this  
frazerg

Elddis 2017 Quality

Hi,

My wife and I are on the horns of a dilemma over buying a 2017 Elddis and would welcome some input from members of the forum.

We have seen an Elddis affinity 554 in our local caravan dealers and really like it, for us it's without compromise on what we require from our next new caravan. Now here's the rub, we've heard all the horror stories of cracking rears, leaking Heki sunroofs and leaks in general and would like to know if these problems are now in the past or are they still to be worried about on 2017 models.

We realise that all makers make bad caravans on bad days but Elddis's problems seem to amount to more than the odd bad caravan and more like bad design.

hubby has spoken to Elddis about the cracked panels and they have changed the design of the front panel and made improvements to the design of the back panel to prevent them cracking .

the swift forum also seems full of dodgy vans infact our present van has had damp twice and that's a sterling(swift group)

you have to remember that we tend to only hear about things that go wrong not when they go well !

I have everything crossed that this time we will have a van that isn't damp

Edited by bobsbabes
  • Like 2

Hi we have just taken the plunge and gone for a dealer special magnum gt 576 (2016)(avante) we are over the moon with it. . I have been so worried as read loads of bad things. . I went over the van with a fine tooth comb and only thing ive noticed is cupboard shelves not as good as our 2011 swift. And the blinds were better in the old van. . other than that I love the new van very very pleased. . like soneone else said you always hear the bad never the good if you think on how many vans are sold.

I went for a Bailey, twice. They both leaked but were fixed under warranty. If the dealer seems good and is close by then go for it. More important is that if a problem occurs then it is easily sorted.

I don't think brand matters, the layout and price are more important to me.

All makes leak, all makes suffer poor quality fittings. The Dometic fridge shelves in the Bailey range being an example of a part that Bailey and others buy in.

If the van and more importantly, the dealer suit, then go for it and enjoy. :-)

If I listened to all the horror stories we would still have the 1996 Abbey Oxford which I had to seal with duck tape virtually every time we went away. Now that really did leak like a sieve! Ha ha

• Like 1

You will have certain protections under the consumer legislation. Before parting with any large sum of money it's always a good idea to read all of the warranty especially the small print and exclusions. I feel it gives a good indication of the manufacturers confidence in their product. Things like banner headlines for 10 years warranty. Then in the small print you find that plastic components, which presumably includes both front and rear panels, are only 12 months says a lot.

Do not rely on brochure information. These can be well out of date. Swift for example have added a new exclusion concerning the GRP inner and outer wall coverings this year. Some manufacturers make it very very difficult to find the warranty details as well.

As far as I am aware they still actually state in the warranty that these panels are only covered for 12 months but please check don't take my memory as correct.

Edited by Alan Stanley

We had a lot of faults on our Affinity when it was new in 2013, not least the rear panel cracking on the top and bottom on both sides. The caravan should never have left the factory in the state it was in, and certainly the dealer should not have expected us to accept it.

However, all the faults were fixed by the dealer under warranty to a very high standard, The caravan had its third service and Alde coolant change earlier this year and no problems were found, in particular the van was dry as a bone. The Affinity was our third new Elddis/Explorer group caravan, and the Buccaneer will be our fourth. There is much to like about Elddis caravans which is why we keep going back. If there are any problems, they will get fixed. If there are serious problems, then it gets rejected. Simple.

• Like 2

Bought our first Elddis earlier this year,2013, first caravan without damp and no problems on service last week.

Geoff

• Like 1

Problem is that it's not Elddis anymore, they sold out but new owners retained the name.

My ancient Elddis is damp free in the main and build quality is better than some vans I had in the past.

You pays your money and takes your chances, but a new one has a warranty at least.

Well we are the 4th cruiser on tredegar clubsite today and spoke to all. every one had niggles when first bought 2015 and 2016. the other 3 r not on any forums either. so just goes to show not all complaints are heard. but nearly all are sorted by dealers.

Signed for our 4th Buccaneer in 5 yrs today.

Had plenty of problems with 2 of it's predecessors which were all eventually fixed under warranty without costing us any lost holiday time. (And we are out over 100 days a year).

I echo all that's said above, in particular about the quality of support you get from your dealer. The choice/proximity of the dealer is as important as the van choice IMHO. In our case they have been crucial in pushing things through when Elddis were "difficult".

I read all these forums and as widely reported all the manufacturers produce duds so there is no safe haven. If you like the van then go for it and if you take the advice given above you will be as well placed as any.

Good luck!

GB

Well, we've bit the bullet and signed up to buy the Elddis. Thanks for all the advice and reassurance we've received . Delivery isn't until May next year as they are proving popular. Dealer is only 3 miles from us and only time will tell how good they are.

• Like 1

Well, we've bit the bullet and signed up to buy the Elddis. Thanks for all the advice and reassurance we've received . Delivery isn't until May next year as they are proving popular. Dealer is only 3 miles from us and only time will tell how good they are.

exciting !!!!! :) . I dread to think when delivery will be after the show !!! this time next year ??

• Like 1

Here is there qualitypost-50612-0-15291100-1475337409_thumb.jpgpost-50612-0-04843200-1475337480_thumb.jpgpost-50612-0-23983800-1475337534_thumb.jpgthese pictures were taken after a major leak flooded the van and blew the electrics as the water got inside the fridge electrics. It's a 2013 Avante and goes in this week for major damp repair. Solid my you know what.

Personally I would never touch Elddis again,have had numerous faults with the van and everything has been a battle to get repaired. They have no quality control, they expect the dealer to pick up on anything when you get the pre delivery supposedly done on the van.

Edited by Scoobz

Just rejected our 2017 Affinity 550 picked it up on the 1st of September rejected it on 10th of September, first weekend away to try it out and it leaked so bad through n/s/f window we came home, we have a Crusader Aurora on order get it in November, Elddis are doing a soft furnishing upgrade and a few other things as a sweetener for us. post-40513-0-20938200-1475338637_thumb.jpg

Edited by trev r
  • Like 1

I have Elddis Xplore 586  year of manufacture is 2017 ,only  2 years old and heki roof light is split in 3 places and letting water, so  no Elddis have not sorted out this problem. check warranty on water ingress, you will find windows  excluded.

Posted (edited)

As an update to my original post ,we have know owned the 554 for 21/2 years . First service it sailed through and we had no problems to report either. Then just before it's second service the seats went flat , Elddis wouldn't give an answer on warranty until it was serviced, why I haven't a clue. At the second service the front windows were leaking because the screws had come loose because Elddis use a straight rail on a curved surface , so the screws are always under tension and the mastic had split on the kitchen  Heki roof light causing another leak. All the leaks were fixed at the service with new wallpaper fitted later to cover the water stains. Elddis refused the warranty claim on the seats as it was too late, only covered for 12 months but the seat manufacturers after the dealer badgered them are replacing the stuffing as a goodwill gesture. Apart from these faults everything else has been ok but know we dread the next service .

Edited by frazerg
spelling mistake

23 hours ago, frazerg said:

As an update to my original post ,we have know owned the 554 for 21/2 years . First service it sailed through and we had no problems to report either. Then just before it's second service the seats went flat , Elddis wouldn't give an answer on warranty until it was serviced, why I haven't a clue. At the second service the front windows were leaking because the screws had come loose because Elddis use a straight rail on a curved surface , so the screws are always under tension and the mastic had split on the kitchen  Heki roof light causing another leak. All the leaks were fixed at the service with new wallpaper fitted later to cover the water stains. Elddis refused the warranty claim on the seats as it was too late, only covered for 12 months but the seat manufacturers after the dealer badgered them are replacing the stuffing as a goodwill gesture. Apart from these faults everything else has been ok but know we dread the next service .

Welcome to the world of Elddis ownership. Sorry to hear of your damp issues but  the strong/light and dry Moto is a farce. My van has gone in this week for its third lot of damp issues. Before taking the van , the repair centre checked the van over and noticed the rear panel that got repaired just 22 months ago for the second time, has cracked again on both top corners. To say I’m devastated is an understatement, but reality tells me there is more trouble down the line. Strong/light/ dry my backside. 

On 07/10/2019 at 18:53, Oxford Elddis said:

I have Elddis Xplore 586  year of manufacture is 2017 ,only  2 years old and heki roof light is split in 3 places and letting water, so  no Elddis have not sorted out this problem. check warranty on water ingress, you will find windows  excluded.

The fact that Elddis are refusing the claim is of no consequence to you as you should be chasing this repair with the dealership from whom you bought it.  It is a known problem and would have been there since day one.  I would think it is an inherent fault due to the number of complaints about the roof lights.  We have a 2018 and this year the rear Heki roof light cracked to let in water.  It is being replaced under warranty by the dealer.

Well without tempting fate our 2017 Affinity continues to give us trouble free caravanning.

• +1 1

45 minutes ago, amdram said:

Well without tempting fate our 2017 Affinity continues to give us trouble free caravanning.

:Plus1:Same with our 2019

• +1 1