Sign in to follow this  
Novocastrian

Corner Steadies Just Got Easier

Moving up the age scale gradually, I have always coped with manually lowering the corner steadies. However, I do occasionally cheat and take my expensive Hitachi cordless drill with me.

Today, this one jumped out at me from the shelves at Aldi. I love the compactness of it. Small enough to stow away easily and at £29 it didn't break the bank.

Lithium Ion battery too. More than enough power for the job. I guess the drill and screwdriver bits can be considered a bonus :-)

post-10095-0-73808300-1474897633_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good job you still have the Hitachi - my experience of buying electrical goods from Aldi is that the quality is rubbish & if it breaks after 60 days, they will not offer any refund or repair, but refer you to the manufacturer.

I had a cordless drill for just this purpose which lived in the van all the time. I recharged it every now and then and it still works a treat. Now I have the E&P setup so don't use it for the steadies but do as a drill. I can't begin to put across what a difference it makes with a drill when it's pouring down. zip zip zip zip. Job done.

• Like 1

Moving up the age scale gradually, I have always coped with manually lowering the corner steadies. However, I do occasionally cheat and take my expensive Hitachi cordless drill with me.

Today, this one jumped out at me from the shelves at Aldi. I love the compactness of it. Small enough to stow away easily and at £29 it didn't break the bank.

Lithium Ion battery too. More than enough power for the job. I guess the drill and screwdriver bits can be considered a bonus :-)

Good heads up, cheers!

Good job you still have the Hitachi - my experience of buying electrical goods from Aldi is that the quality is rubbish & if it breaks after 60 days, they will not offer any refund or repair, but refer you to the manufacturer.

To be honest, I've had decent enough service from Aldi Workzone items. But you are wrong on the 60 day thing. ...they may try that one on, but the law says different ;-)

• Like 1

To be honest, I've had decent enough service from Aldi Workzone items. But you are wrong on the 60 day thing. ...they may try that one on, but the law says different ;-)

And it does come with a 36 month warranty which is pretty good, if it goes wrong after three years just chuck it away/re-cycle it!!

• Like 2

Get a Speedjack for the steadies. Brilliant piece of kit as straight as a die and no wobbling when using the drill.

Only 1 battery . . guaranteed the battery chucks it in wet windy field . . Screwfix do better 2 battery drills for not much more

From my experience, expensive power tools often cost five times as much as cheap ones but do not last five times as long. Winding steadies is hardly going to stress out even a cheap drill so there is nothing to gain by splashing out lots of cash. Mine is an Argos own brand and does the job!

• Like 2

Only 1 battery . . guaranteed the battery chucks it in wet windy field . . Screwfix do better 2 battery drills for not much more

Spare batteries are £12. ...not that I need two batteries to wind the occasional steady here and there :-)

Get a Speedjack for the steadies. Brilliant piece of kit as straight as a die and no wobbling when using the drill.

Quote from the website:

After purchasing a similar product in a caravan shop. ...I popped it into my battery drill and hey presto, job done in half the time. To my disappointment after using it only a few times, it started to bend & twist from the force of leveling the caravan.

The Speedjack does look like a reasonable drill attachment & isn't too expensive either, but if the inventor was using a drill to the extent that it bent one of the usual adapters, then

a) he needs to realise that he shouldn't be jacking the caravan up with the steadies/drill. ..the steadies are there to steady rather than level, and the drill should be on screwdriver setting & fairly low torque setting at tha,t and

b ) I'm surprised his drill didn't explode before he managed to twist a forged steel adapter (unless his local caravan shop sold ones made out of chocolate).

Personally I found using a drill more hassle than it was worth & went back to the manual handle.

Edited by Disco4
  • Like 4

Spare batteries are £12. ...not that I need two batteries to wind the occasional steady here and there :-)

That's my point, if you don't use the drill a lot you have no idea when the battery is going to die on you. So the £29 drill now becomes £41 .

Screwfix own make http://www. screwfix. com/c/tools/drills/cat830704?cordedorcordless=cordless#category=cat830704&brand=titan&cordedorcordless=cordless

Not my experience I'm afraid,

I bought a 18v cordless at Aldi at least six years ago,for £19. 99 used it for hours of diy,always carried it for motor home steadies.

A week before the warranty ran out,the charger blew,contacted manufacturer by email they asked me to send copy of receipt.

New charger arrived foc next day from Austria.

I now use it all the time for my caravan four steadies.

I think the secret of long life is charge it after every use,no matter how little use its had.

No complaints with any Aldi electric product I've ever bought.

• Like 1

That's my point, if you don't use the drill a lot you have no idea when the battery is going to die on you. So the £29 drill now becomes £41 .

Screwfix own make http://www. screwfix. com/c/tools/drills/cat830704?cordedorcordless=cordless#category=cat830704&brand=titan&cordedorcordless=cordless

I have never had a battery drill fail,it's the batteries that fail and replacements often cost more than a new drill!

knarf

I don't get the point of your comment. You're suggesting paying £46 for a drill and two batteries as opposed to the drill I bought at £29 plus, if I wanted, a spare battery at £12 making a total of £41, which is £5 less? What is the point you are making?

I got an electric screwdriver that is not quite a drill from euro car parts last year. I was very sceptical but it is actually very good.

It was £12 weights a kilo and the charger is very small. First time away I took the charger but it coped with several stops without needing a charge. I just make sure it is charged before we go now and it lasts fine.

Might be worth a look save a full on drill for someone.

Comes in handy when I need a drill and screwdriver to not have to keep swapping bits.

Not my experience I'm afraid,

I bought a 18v cordless at Aldi at least six years ago,for £19. 99 used it for hours of diy,always carried it for motor home steadies.

A week before the warranty ran out,the charger blew,contacted manufacturer by email they asked me to send copy of receipt.

New charger arrived foc next day from Austria.

I now use it all the time for my caravan four steadies.

I think the secret of long life is charge it after every use,no matter how little use its had.

No complaints with any Aldi electric product I've ever bought.

Charging after every use is usually the cause of the battery forming a memory it's flat before it should be. I was always told to allow things that require charging to become completely flat before recharging them.

Our lawn mower, hedge trimmer and my drill are all from Aldi, all came with a three year gaurantee and are of very good quality!

Also had a battery charger from them that went wrong after about a year and I had a refund with no quibble!

I don't get the point of your comment. You're suggesting paying £46 for a drill and two batteries as opposed to the drill I bought at £29 plus, if I wanted, a spare battery at £12 making a total of £41, which is £5 less? What is the point you are making?

The point is aldi don't have the best deals, it's cheaper for a reason . I have a couple of "cheap" tools and stuff for the garden, they don't last, they are banking that you lose the receipt. At the start of the summer aldi did a copper outside tap splitter, after returning 3 of them I got my money back, only £6, but leaked like a sieve. . cheap isn't necessarily cheap.

I hope your drill works well and lasts a long long time .

Charging after every use is usually the cause of the battery forming a memory it's flat before it should be. I was always told to allow things that require charging to become completely flat before recharging them.

Not the case for Lithium-ion batteries.

Quote Battery University:

Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, the depth of discharge (DoD) determines the cycle count of the battery. The smaller the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life.

knarf

I use a Wickes 18v cordless drill (£49 inc 2 batteries) as a drill.

It doubles up as a winder for the steadies when leaving and putting back into storage at home.

But otherwise it stays at home, can't be lugging that around just for the small convenience on site.

If it's chucking it down you are going to get wet anyway.

I might feel differently if the arthritis gets much worse :(

Tell me, you guys that use a drill, do you carry the manual handle as well, just in case the battery dies?

That is the case with Ni-Cad batteries and to a point with NiMH, but not with Lithium Ion. In fact Lithium Ion batteries are better kept charged.

• Like 1

I use a Wickes 18v cordless drill (£49 inc 2 batteries) as a drill.

It doubles up as a winder for the steadies when leaving and putting back into storage at home.

But otherwise it stays at home, can't be lugging that around just for the small convenience on site.

If it's chucking it down you are going to get wet anyway.

I might feel differently if the arthritis gets much worse :(

Tell me, you guys that use a drill, do you carry the manual handle as well, just in case the battery dies?

I have 2 batteries, no chance both with stop at the same time, yes I have the manual handle too . . to loosen the wheel nuts if I have a puncture.