alistairr

Sky Tv In A Buccaneer Cruiser

Thanks Ian and Andrew, like John you have been most helpful. I now have a couple of options to choose from. Never for a moment considered the chest option! Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing! ;)

We are out in our caravan next week and hopefully I will remember to take pictures so you can see exactly what we have done so that we have Sky all round the caravan.

I think I get the picture, but a pic or two would be brilliant John. There must be a number of people in the same boat. There was little or no thought given to cable management.

Thanks again.

Sorry for the delay just back from van, my daft phone would not let me attach photos.

All Female sockets at face plate

The top cables are rca for dvd

Next one down is 3. 5mm jack from speakers that sit behind me.

Next is the hdmi

Then last one is coax for normal tv

Sat box under seat I have one remote eye at sat box, and another running to dvd/stereo in over head locker. Save leaving door open to use the remote to skip a track etc.

The photo of tv shows the magic eye senderat bottom of stand (the wee square)

Don't know why, but photos are upside down. but I am sure you get the idea

post-41123-0-58426600-1475413980_thumb.jpg

post-41123-0-36325700-1475414003_thumb.jpg

post-41123-0-80278700-1475414018_thumb.jpg

Edited by john meikle

As promised here is our layout for Sky TV in the caravan. We have a satellite dome, but you can use the existing sockets in yoru caravan if no dome.

Once you have the sat box located in a suitable palce and the sat cables connected, connect the HDMI lead to the TV and switched on and make sure you are receiving a signal. We have our TV on the front chest of drawers.

Befoire fiddling around unplug the mains lead into the sat box. From the RF out on the box take a flylead from there to a location near the Tv and plug in the Magic eye as per the picture 2. Take another flylead from the Magic eye out of the TV out side and take it down to the socket in the front nearside locker and plug the lead into that socket. Open the overhead locker where the aerial stuff is and switch off the white amplifier box. Disconnect the two leads as per the picture and connect them direct to one another using a back to bak or a short flylead. This then feeds the signal from the satellite box via the Magic eye and the socket in the front nearsdie locker to the outlet in the bedroom area where you can now watch TV. Hopefully thsi helps.

No holes to drill, no parts to remove and if you change the caravan, you simply unplug and plug in the stuff again. Works for us. :D

We also have a stand alone satellite dish with a twin LNB. If this is what you have, remove the single F connector in the battery box and replace it with a twin F connector. These are available on the Internet for udner a fiver. Then run a twin cable from there to wherever you want to locate the satellite box and then do as suggested above. BTW as we have the TV on the front chest of drawer we always have the blind halfway up on sunny days.

post-65184-0-79647400-1475574488_thumb.jpg

post-65184-0-87031200-1475574505_thumb.jpg

post-65184-0-54796900-1475574525_thumb.jpg

post-65184-0-86731300-1475574540_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for taking the time and effort to give me some guidance on this. I am sure that I will have a plan in mind ready for mid-February. It is a pity the Elddis did not give much consideration to cable management at the build stage. It would have been so much easier.

Apologies for not thanking you for your your help earlier, but we have been away.

On 04/10/2016 at 10:49, Durbanite said:

As promised here is our layout for Sky TV in the caravan. We have a satellite dome, but you can use the existing sockets in yoru caravan if no dome.

Once you have the sat box located in a suitable palce and the sat cables connected, connect the HDMI lead to the TV and switched on and make sure you are receiving a signal. We have our TV on the front chest of drawers.

Befoire fiddling around unplug the mains lead into the sat box. From the RF out on the box take a flylead from there to a location near the Tv and plug in the Magic eye as per the picture 2. Take another flylead from the Magic eye out of the TV out side and take it down to the socket in the front nearside locker and plug the lead into that socket. Open the overhead locker where the aerial stuff is and switch off the white amplifier box. Disconnect the two leads as per the picture and connect them direct to one another using a back to bak or a short flylead. This then feeds the signal from the satellite box via the Magic eye and the socket in the front nearsdie locker to the outlet in the bedroom area where you can now watch TV. Hopefully thsi helps.

No holes to drill, no parts to remove and if you change the caravan, you simply unplug and plug in the stuff again. Works for us. :D

We also have a stand alone satellite dish with a twin LNB. If this is what you have, remove the single F connector in the battery box and replace it with a twin F connector. These are available on the Internet for udner a fiver. Then run a twin cable from there to wherever you want to locate the satellite box and then do as suggested above. BTW as we have the TV on the front chest of drawer we always have the blind halfway up on sunny days.

post-65184-0-79647400-1475574488_thumb.jpg

post-65184-0-87031200-1475574505_thumb.jpg

post-65184-0-54796900-1475574525_thumb.jpg

post-65184-0-86731300-1475574540_thumb.jpg

Hi durbanite, when you say to swap out the single sat connector at the battery box for a double, how does that work? Surely there is only one sat cable there?  Also what’s the point of only having a single connector when sky boxes neeed two feeds

On 16/10/2016 at 12:26, alistairr said:

Thank you to everyone for taking the time and effort to give me some guidance on this. I am sure that I will have a plan in mind ready for mid-February. It is a pity the Elddis did not give much consideration to cable management at the build stage. It would have been so much easier.

Apologies for not thanking you for your your help earlier, but we have been away.

How did you get on in the in the end?

im hoping to sort something out for my cruiser, Iv bought a tripod with hybrid lnb, I’m hoping to take the q box away with us if you  have any ideas

13 hours ago, chris76 said:

Hi durbanite, when you say to swap out the single sat connector at the battery box for a double, how does that work? Surely there is only one sat cable there?  Also what’s the point of only having a single connector when sky boxes neeed two feeds

How did you get on in the in the end?

im hoping to sort something out for my cruiser, Iv bought a tripod with hybrid lnb, I’m hoping to take the q box away with us if you  have any ideas

You remove the single and fit the twin.   Then use "shotgun" or twin coaxial cable to where the Sky box will be located.   If the Sky box has an RF out use that to feed the signal into the caravan's cabling but do not forget to switch off the aerial amplifier.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

You remove the single and fit the twin.   Then use "shotgun" or twin coaxial cable to where the Sky box will be located.   If the Sky box has an RF out use that to feed the signal into the caravan's cabling but do not forget to switch off the aerial amplifier.

thanks durbanite so just to be sure i get this right -  i can just buy a twin connector to replace the external one on the side of the van, then run a shotgun cable from that connector to wherever i decide to place the box,

if the box is to be located under the seat and i decide to use a regular hd box then, then i could make a cable to go from the rf  into the internal carvan sat cabling, then at the two tv points, cable from the wall outlet to magic eye then tv? 

also from what i have read am i right in saying as im using a hybrid i can use the sat finder on the regular side of the lnb,so i dont have to mess about swapping lnb's?  and are the cheap sat finders any good, im guessing to save time and to make it easier it would be best to invest in a digital one?

Edited by chris76

1 hour ago, chris76 said:

thanks durbanite so just to be sure i get this right -  i can just buy a twin connector to replace the external one on the side of the van, then run a shotgun cable from that connector to wherever i decide to place the box,

if the box is to be located under the seat and i decide to use a regular hd box then, then i could make a cable to go from the rf  into the internal carvan sat cabling, then at the two tv points, cable from the wall outlet to magic eye then tv? 

also from what i have read am i right in saying as im using a hybrid i can use the sat finder on the regular side of the lnb,so i dont have to mess about swapping lnb's?  and are the cheap sat finders any good, im guessing to save time and to make it easier it would be best to invest in a digital one?

Yep you can get one from the same people that supplied the original F connector in the battery box.   For some reason when I tried to use the satellite cabling in the caravan, the signal was poor so resorted to using the normal coaxial cable.

As you can see our Sky box is under the nearside front bunk so shotgun cabling from the F connector to sky box.     The RF cable from Sky box plugged into aerial socket by nearside locker door.   Disconnected cabling on splitter in top locker box and joined them together to get signal in bedroom area.   We have a TV on the front chest of drawers and another in the bedroom area.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Yep you can get one from the same people that supplied the original F connector in the battery box.   For some reason when I tried to use the satellite cabling in the caravan, the signal was poor so resorted to using the normal coaxial cable.

As you can see our Sky box is under the nearside front bunk so shotgun cabling from the F connector to sky box.     The RF cable from Sky box plugged into aerial socket by nearside locker door.   Disconnected cabling on splitter in top locker box and joined them together to get signal in bedroom area.   We have a TV on the front chest of drawers and another in the bedroom area.

so does the tv in the bedroom have its own magic eye, i dont think having the tv on the draws would work for us as the kids like it for drawing/games and it just seems more natural to us to lie back and look towards the door area.

how does the picture look working from the rf, i cant imagine not using hdmi :unsure:

im starting to think it might be too much hassle to take my q box, fair enough id be able to pre load it with programmes before going away, but then theres the hassle of having to use hdmi leads and obviously it would be a pain to move into bedroom area unless i have a splitter and leads all over the place.

18 hours ago, chris76 said:

so does the tv in the bedroom have its own magic eye, i dont think having the tv on the draws would work for us as the kids like it for drawing/games and it just seems more natural to us to lie back and look towards the door area.

how does the picture look working from the rf, i cant imagine not using hdmi :unsure:

im starting to think it might be too much hassle to take my q box, fair enough id be able to pre load it with programmes before going away, but then theres the hassle of having to use hdmi leads and obviously it would be a pain to move into bedroom area unless i have a splitter and leads all over the place.

As our magic eye can be seen from the bedroom area it is not an issue.   We use HDMI as ours is on the chest of drawers in front.   If the TV is mounted by the door as you enter then a bit more work is required.   You can fit the Sky box in the locker above the microwave and then either take the HDMI cable from there into the Tv or buy a HDMI socket and mounted it under the cocktail cabinet replacing the 12v socket or adding it on by drilling another hole.   A search on this forum should bring up a thread where someone has done this on a Cruiser.

ok cheers mate, id rather do that but dont see how to get the lead running down the back of the fridge are there any access holes in the floor

14 hours ago, chris76 said:

ok cheers mate, id rather do that but dont see how to get the lead running down the back of the fridge are there any access holes in the floor

Why do you want to run the lead down the back of the fridge?  The Sky box uses the 240v plug in that locker and you take the HDMI lead through the wall.   Sky Q box does not have RF outlet as far as I am aware so not sure how of the best way to get signal to TV in bedroom.   Maybe buy a second hand Sky box with RF out would be a better idea as I am told that the card from a Sky Q box will work in the Sky+HD box.

6 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Why do you want to run the lead down the back of the fridge?  The Sky box uses the 240v plug in that locker and you take the HDMI lead through the wall.   Sky Q box does not have RF outlet as far as I am aware so not sure how of the best way to get signal to TV in bedroom.   Maybe buy a second hand Sky box with RF out would be a better idea as I am told that the card from a Sky Q box will work in the Sky+HD box.

i was thinking of how to run  the shotgun cable from rear of battery box i can understand under seat ,behind draws but how to then go up to cupboard above microwave?

17 hours ago, chris76 said:

i was thinking of how to run  the shotgun cable from rear of battery box i can understand under seat ,behind draws but how to then go up to cupboard above microwave?

Apologies I forgot that you do not have a roof mounted satellite dish.   There should be a drop hole under the offside bunk to take the shotgun cable underneath the caravan to bring it back up through the drop hole which is behind the fridge.   Easily access as both the vent covers can be removed.   Fit Sky box in locker above microwave.   Suggest that before drilling any holes or swapping over outlets, simply run the cable out of the locker door and connect to TV.   If all works okay then go ahead.  

If you still want the second Tv in the bedroom area and have a box with a RF outlet, run the cable from there to the analogue connection already there under the cocktail cabinet.    Distance of less than . 5m.   This will then send the signal all around the caravan.

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Apologies I forgot that you do not have a roof mounted satellite dish.   There should be a drop hole under the offside bunk to take the shotgun cable underneath the caravan to bring it back up through the drop hole which is behind the fridge.   Easily access as both the vent covers can be removed.   Fit Sky box in locker above microwave.   Suggest that before drilling any holes or swapping over outlets, simply run the cable out of the locker door and connect to TV.   If all works okay then go ahead.  

If you still want the second Tv in the bedroom area and have a box with a RF outlet, run the cable from there to the analogue connection already there under the cocktail cabinet.    Distance of less than . 5m.   This will then send the signal all around the caravan.

excellent thats what i wanted to hear,so there is holes i can feed cables under the van and then back up avoiding the doorway.

in that case ill come up with a system,it would be nice to have the box and then hdmi splitter with permanent hdmi cables to both tv areas and then either control the box via bluetooth sky q remote or rf regular hd box.

iv just seen this on amazon https://www. amazon. co. uk/Technomate-Modulator-Loopthrough-Certified-Refurbished-Black/dp/B07MCJV5PX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547910313&sr=8-2&keywords=rf++sky+q

might be the easier option for us if it could deliver 1080p over the caravan coaxial wiring.

19 hours ago, chris76 said:

excellent thats what i wanted to hear,so there is holes i can feed cables under the van and then back up avoiding the doorway.

in that case ill come up with a system,it would be nice to have the box and then hdmi splitter with permanent hdmi cables to both tv areas and then either control the box via bluetooth sky q remote or rf regular hd box.

iv just seen this on amazon https://www. amazon. co. uk/Technomate-Modulator-Loopthrough-Certified-Refurbished-Black/dp/B07MCJV5PX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547910313&sr=8-2&keywords=rf++sky+q

might be the easier option for us if it could deliver 1080p over the caravan coaxial wiring.

Lot of money to spend on a refurnished unit  if it does not work for you. Also there are brand new ones for sale at a lower price.  

It seems to work by converting an HDMI signal into RF signal.   It takes in the HDMI signal and then split the signal so that you have HDMI and RF coming out of the unit.   Surely easier and cheaper just to buy a second hand Sky+HD box which has a  RF out?

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Lot of money to spend on a refurnished unit  if it does not work for you. Also there are brand new ones for sale at a lower price.  

It seems to work by converting an HDMI signal into RF signal.   It takes in the HDMI signal and then split the signal so that you have HDMI and RF coming out of the unit.   Surely easier and cheaper just to buy a second hand Sky+HD box which has a  RF out?

yes but it would be nice to just, take the q box from home and come up with a way to plug it into a prewired caravan system.

im guessing in theory it go double connector at battery box to Q box then this technomate which would could connect via rf  into caravan sat cable system then at each sat tv point magic eye and tv with the alleged 1080p signal

Don't forget that with Sky Q you need a different lnb on the dish.   I have been told that to try and get a signal by manualy adjusting the dish is nearly impossible.   People prefer to fit the old standard lnb, set up the dish and then swap over lnbs.

8 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Don't forget that with Sky Q you need a different lnb on the dish.   I have been told that to try and get a signal by manualy adjusting the dish is nearly impossible.   People prefer to fit the old standard lnb, set up the dish and then swap over lnbs.

is that because, you cant attach the signal finder to the lnb though?    iv actaully bought a hybrid lnb so i get the best of both worlds, sorry for all the questions im just trying to work out if its too much hassle to try using the q box.

like i say iv still got my old hd box so i guess i could just pair and unpair my card each time i go away

16 hours ago, chris76 said:

is that because, you cant attach the signal finder to the lnb though?    iv actaully bought a hybrid lnb so i get the best of both worlds, sorry for all the questions im just trying to work out if its too much hassle to try using the q box.

like i say iv still got my old hd box so i guess i could just pair and unpair my card each time i go away

Does the old box have an RF out as using that box will save a lot of hassles.

5 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Does the old box have an RF out as using that box will save a lot of hassles.

it does mate, and yeah i think ill use that one for now, just be a shame not to have a hd signal though, dont think my eyes will tollerate a rf signal,lol

16 hours ago, chris76 said:

it does mate, and yeah i think ill use that one for now, just be a shame not to have a hd signal though, dont think my eyes will tollerate a rf signal,lol

The standard RF signal should only be to the second TV which hopefully will have an analogue tuner for the RF signal.   Our second TV is several years old so no issue however the Avtex cannot accept the signal from the RF tuner.   You can use the HDMI to the main TV.   BTW on small screen we cannot tell the difference between standard and HDMI as it is virtually the same.

On 16/01/2019 at 13:08, Durbanite said:

Clever stuff. I don't even know how the remote works or which buttons to press other than the 'off' :lol:

9 hours ago, Durbanite said:

The standard RF signal should only be to the second TV which hopefully will have an analogue tuner for the RF signal.   Our second TV is several years old so no issue however the Avtex cannot accept the signal from the RF tuner.   You can use the HDMI to the main TV.   BTW on small screen we cannot tell the difference between standard and HDMI as it is virtually the same.

yeah but if box is under the seat then i can only watch via rf on both tvs, im struggling to see how i can get a hdmi lead to the box,unless of course i can figure out how to go down back of fridge under floor then to the box

14 hours ago, chris76 said:

yeah but if box is under the seat then i can only watch via rf on both tvs, im struggling to see how i can get a hdmi lead to the box,unless of course i can figure out how to go down back of fridge under floor then to the box

If they are fairly new TVs they may not be able to accept the RF signal from the Sky box as it is an analogue signal so be careful.   Pity you are not a lot closer to us otherwise I would pop over and show you how we did it and also be able to show some other possible configurations.