alistairr

Sky Tv In A Buccaneer Cruiser

Are there any Cruiser owners who use their Sky box in their caravan? The very small TV shelf on the right of the entry door does not seem to be wide enough to take the standard Sky box. The only logical place that I can see is in the cupboard above the microwave.

Has anyone found a good solution to this? We currently have the Affinity 530 which has almost a dedicated AV cupboard, so we have been a bit spoilt.

Cheers.

Alistair

Alistair

You will be really spoilt when you get your Cruiser. Lol

Sorry we don't have sky.

Enjoy your new van

• Like 1

Thanks Simon. We tried last year but the wife became VSI so we were forced to cancel. Happily she is well on the mend now so we are trying again.

We are a bit hacked off with the dealer though. They were good enough to cancel the order but retained our £1k deposit against a future caravan purchase. When we came to do a deal, they were nowhere near competitive, almost like they were forcing us to go elsewhere or pay top price through them Either way, they got £1K for doing nothing, as we did go to another dealer.

They wouldn't even transfer the credit so we could buy a new awning from their well publicised awning department. We were not even asking for the deposit back Anyway, It is almost worth losing the money to ensure that I never deal with them again.

Edited by alistairr
  • Like 2

I have my skybox under a seat. I ran an hdmi cable from box to tv. Hidden in the trunking that the alde runs through.

I then used an remote magic eye extender to allow the remote to work, it works perfectly.

Thanks John. How did you bring your HDMI cable through the cabinetry?

What I did was replaced the single sat connector and replaced it with a double. one of the plates was a blank.

I then ran a hdmi male to female socket. attached the female to the blank plate.

That way all I needed to do was connect a short hdmi from tv to the new female socket I had on wall.

I also at the same time ran av cables to the same plate to play dvd on a larger tv. (no DVD in it)

Plus an 3. 5mm jack to a pc speakers behind me. as the tv sound was poor.

I will take a photo on Wed if you cant picture what I am trying to explain.

The extender remote I just stuck it to the bottom of tv with Velcro. The other end I simply taped to the sky box.

We have a Satfi RV twin satellite dome fitted and the cable runs down the conduit by the ALDE control panel to the Sky box under the caravan. However if you do not want a dome fitted go to the battery box and remove the single F connector and fit a double. Then run the twin cabling from there to the chest of drawers in front and palce the Sky box in the top drawer and control it with a magic eye. No drilling or mod required. If you want the Sky box in the locker above the microwave it is a bit more complicated, but quite doable however you need to take the cabling under the caravan and up inside behind the fridge.

If you do not want to record then it makes things a whole lot easier. We found the area by the door too small for a Tv or the Sky box so have the TV on the front chest of drawers and take a cable from the RF out to the aerial outlet under the front nearside bunk. In the locker where the aerial is located we removed two of the connections, joined them together to by pass the aerial box and the RF signal is fed into the TV in the bedroom area.

If you were closer I could show you what I have done and help you with yours.

Edited by Durbanite

I think I get the picture, but a pic or two would be brilliant John. There must be a number of people in the same boat. There was little or no thought given to cable management.

Thanks again.

Are there any Cruiser owners who use their Sky box in their caravan? The very small TV shelf on the right of the entry door does not seem to be wide enough to take the standard Sky box. The only logical place that I can see is in the cupboard above the microwave.

Has anyone found a good solution to this? We currently have the Affinity 530 which has almost a dedicated AV cupboard, so we have been a bit spoilt.

Cheers.

Alistair

Hi alistair, we use our sky box in our cruiser, we simply stand the box on a wooden cutting board and use a L shaped hdmi lead, works perfectly, we've never knocked it off!

Regards

Andrew.

Thanks Ian and Andrew, like John you have been most helpful. I now have a couple of options to choose from. Never for a moment considered the chest option! Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing! ;)

Thanks Ian and Andrew, like John you have been most helpful. I now have a couple of options to choose from. Never for a moment considered the chest option! Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing! ;)

I will take some photos when I get back to the van on Wed. I have the 550 and there is only enough room for tv stand. never mind the skybox.

I have also made a mod to tv bracket that came with van. This way the tv stays up all the time. Saves the bother of packing unpacking and connecting the cables.

Its been sitting there for two years and never moved.

get a v8s openbox. small and easy to fit and all channels too.

get a v8s openbox. small and easy to fit and all channels too.

I have a spiderbox. it also has all the channels. But still no room on the shelf for it

Info on Buccaner caravans 2015 on page 21 if any help !

Just picked up our new Cruiser last Wednesday and really impressed so far, the self levelling system is so easy to operate even down the fitting the two wheel locks :D . The Alde underfloor heating is really good, the only downside thing so far is the small area for the TV, I have fitted the Sky box in the cupboard above the microwave then removed the 12Vdc socket and fitted a HDMI socket in it's place and fitted a Sky remote magic eye. Never had to drill any holes in the wood to get the cable through.

simon 646. .Welcome to the cruiser. you;ll be happy.

john meikle the v8s box is small and will fit in the (if you can do away with it)drinks cabinet.

Info on Buccaner caravans 2015 on page 21 if any help !

Just picked up our new Cruiser last Wednesday and really impressed so far, the self levelling system is so easy to operate even down the fitting the two wheel locks :D . The Alde underfloor heating is really good, the only downside thing so far is the small area for the TV, I have fitted the Sky box in the cupboard above the microwave then removed the 12Vdc socket and fitted a HDMI socket in it's place and fitted a Sky remote magic eye. Never had to drill any holes in the wood to get the cable through.

Hi I do not have SKY but fitted a Freview multi channel recorder above the microwave as above. Left the 12 volt socket in place and fitted a separate HDMI panel mount just below the tv & sat outlets. I took the aerial lead from the rear of that socket and routed it to the freeview Box and ran a return and reconnected it back to that wall mounted tv socket. Left the 12v so that tv can still be used when not on mains.

Steve

Cheers.

Alistair

1. Remove the facia plate covering the TV outlets/12vdc socket

2. Remove the woodscrews securing the TV outlets and the woodscrews securing the 12vdc socket.

3. Once the TV outlets are free from the wall remove the satellite cable from the rear (you can leave the TV coaxial cable connected.

4. Get a straight through satellite cable connector and fit it to the satellite cable you disconnected from the rear of the TV outlets.

5. Make up a short satellite cable and feed it through from the cupboard above the microwave and connect it to the other end of the straight through satellite cable connector.

6. Disconnect the two 12vdc cables cores from the rear of the 12vdc socket (be careful not to short out the two cores use insulating tape to cover the ends) what I did was tape the two cores on to the satellite cable so it could not drop down so it could be used at a later date if required.

7. I got a piece of 3mm thick aluminium and made a template out of card from the fixing plate for the 12vdc socket.

8. Once the aluminium plate is marked out and cut to shape, cut a 22mm hole in the centre of the plate and file out the hole to fit the HDMI panel mounted socket.

9. Once the socket fits, mark the two fixing holes and drill the two holes 4mm.

10. Remove the socket from the plate and mark out a small slot in the centre hole and file it out so this can take the cable for the magic eye.

11. Drill the four holes in the plate for mounting the plate to the wall

12. Once this is all done file all the edges smooth and clean up the front of the plate and paint (I gave it two coats of primer and three coats of gloss black)

13. Feed the magic through from the cupboard above the microwave the feed it through the centre hole on the painted plate. Mount the HDMI socket onto the painted plate keeping the magic eye cable in the groove that you filed out, secure the HDMI socket onto the painted plate.

14. Get one HDMI cables 300mm long and one 500mm long and feed the 500mm long HDMI cable through from the cupboard above the microwave down to the hole where you removed the 12vdc socket from and connect it to the rear of the new HDMI socket and plate.

15. Mount the new plate and the TV outlet socket onto the wall, once this is done the replace the facia plate over the two outlets.

16. Fit the 300mm HDMI cable onto the front of the HDMI socket to the rear of the TV.

17. Connect your sky box up in the cupboard, I used a short twin 240v extension cable and plugged it into where the microwave was plugged into then plugged the sky and microwave into the extension cable.

18. Make sure your magic eye is connected to RF2 output and the RF2 is enabled on your sky box menu.

post-75487-0-53800800-1460579118_thumb.j post-75487-0-10740800-1460579123_thumb.j post-75487-0-40197900-1460579127_thumb.j post-75487-0-55751000-1460579134_thumb.j post-75487-0-97878800-1460579137_thumb.j post-75487-0-01303500-1460579142_thumb.j post-75487-0-90015300-1460579146_thumb.j post-75487-0-61580900-1460579151_thumb.j

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-75487-0-03250400-1460579131_thumb.j
  • Like 1

simon 646. .Welcome to the cruiser. you;ll be happy.

john meikle the v8s box is small and will fit in the (if you can do away with it)drinks cabinet.

Simon has had a cruiser since the beginning of thsi thread. The post was a copy of another post on page 21.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the ideas. :Thankyou:

There is much food for thought here. Where there is a will there is a way. I had no idea that BCE made HDMi sockets. That is really useful.

I am obliged for the offer of help Ian. It is almost worth the drive down! The OH was having a relapse at the thought of me entering her pride and joy with a bag of power tools and hacking away at the cabinetry! Once I have it behind the gates, I will look at the best option for us. Again, thanks a bunch everyone.

Hi alister,

We take our lads multiroom box, it's smaller, you can't record on it but not bothered about that, I think your cupboard is the same as ours and it fits fine.

Tim

also the name of the original sockets are Berker. there not cheap tho. but they are matching.

Hi alistairr, We have the Buccaneer Fluyt, and use Sky. You can get a sky HD box which is smaller and lighter than the normal ones. Its like that because it does not have a hard disc and cannot record but it works very well. Ours in a top cupboard. Len

We have multi-room, so we take the second Sky+ HD box with us. We do not need it to record while in the van, but we do use it to record when back home. I was going to buy one of the small HD boxes, as they fit the bill perfectly.

The only problem being is the viewing card is paired to the box. I would be calling Sky every week to change it to the small box, and again to change it back. They would not be impressed I suspect. If I can get the full size box in the cupboard above the MW, and using the HDMi socket then that would be a winner I think.

We have multi-room, so we take the second Sky+ HD box with us. We do not need it to record while in the van, but we do use it to record when back home. I was going to buy one of the small HD boxes, as they fit the bill perfectly.

The only problem being is the viewing card is paired to the box. I would be calling Sky every week to change it to the small box, and again to change it back. They would not be impressed I suspect. If I can get the full size box in the cupboard above the MW, and using the HDMi socket then that would be a winner I think.

Apparently this is no longer the case? I have been told that the card now automatically pairs to a box, but I may be thinking of the Q box card which can be used in the Sky+ HD box. ?

Apparently this is no longer the case? I have been told that the card now automatically pairs to a box, but I may be thinking of the Q box card which can be used in the Sky+ HD box. ?

I just tried switching the cards in our two Sky+ boxes and both came up with a viewing card error. Bummer!