Sign in to follow this  
ChrisUK

2016 Santa Fe Auto Box Type

Been looking at a new Santa Fe today but was surprised when the sales man said it had a 7 speed Dual Clutch auto box. I note at home, in the booklet he gave me all it says is 6 speed auto. The last new SF that I drove was about 7 years ago and I'm sure it was had a torque converter. Perhaps I'm a bit old fashioned, but, to me 2 clutches are twice as bad as one clutch when towing.

I have search the forum and the web to no avail. Any comments? I would assume that the Sorento has the same box. I have always had manual boxes, but would like to make the conversion to auto, esp. for towing.

Good question and IIRC, it's a "normal" auto, not DSG. Given the choice, and from what I've read on forums, DSG gives "seamless" changes, ie. no jerky changes. When we had our 2012 Santa Fe, we got onto the Hyundai forum and they were very helpful and informative http://www. hyundai-forums. com/hyundai-news/378178-like-us-facebook. html. Might be worth asking the question on their forum?

My 14 plate Sorento auto is 6 speed with a torque converter.

It tows our 1900kg Sterling TA very nicely.

I wouldn't want the double clutch thingy, I know too many folks who have had trouble with them.

My 14 plate Santa Fe has a 6 speed box with torque converter. I wouldn't have another dual clutch gearbox having suffered clutch judder & slip at 28k though more manufacturers seem to be going that way presumably for efficiency.

My 16 reg (65) has a regular slush box, still 6 speed and it has smooth gear changes. I think the sales person that you spoke to, is mistaken and talking about a model from a different range of Hyundai?

My 16 reg (65) has a regular slush box, still 6 speed and it has smooth gear changes. I think the sales person that you spoke to, is mistaken and talking about a model from a different range of Hyundai?

I think he was mistaken. I was sitting in a SF at the time.

Hyundai Santa Fe is a conventional torque converter + 6-speed planetary gearbox of their own design, obviously used by Kia as well but also Chrysler in the US.

Some of their smaller models are DCTs.

If you EVER have technical questions about a car, the salesman is the LAST person to ask!

• Like 4

l will take possession of a Santa Fe Wiggins Edition Auto Friday 30th December, l have been told l can't tow with this until its passed 1200 miles is this true, the info l have is that's its a 6speed Auto box with a Torque convertor.

l will take possession of a Santa Fe Wiggins Edition Auto Friday 30th December, l have been told l can't tow with this until its passed 1200 miles is this true, the info l have is that's its a 6speed Auto box with a Torque convertor.

Yes - 1,200 miles is the recommended distance to have covered before towing - but IMO you won't do it any harm towing before if you take it easy, not using full power or full torque - my 2011 Santa Fe had the same autobox as yours will get and no problems towing early.

Than you Black Grouse for confirming the info all l had off the CC site was wise cracks never heard off this before after being in the motor trade for 30 years Blah! Blah! Blah! you know the type know everything but nothing. l new l had seen it somewhere even the sales guy told me but sometimes they get things wrong. Not taken delivery yet but it must be in the handbook somewhere. Once again thank you for your help

That's what it says in the manual. If you do tow early, try not to strain it - might be worth putting the gearbox into sport, so the revs are kept up a bit.

We got our Santa FecWiggins in November. Its a manual,but the handbook recommends 1200 miles before towing. Ours is almost there now!

They are nice cars,very well equipped and we got a very good deal on ours. Hope you enjoy it.

We got our Santa FecWiggins in November. Its a manual,but the handbook recommends 1200 miles before towing. Ours is almost there now!

They are nice cars,very well equipped and we got a very good deal on ours. Hope you enjoy it.

Time to update your signature ;)

DavS got a very good deal, like you say very well equipped, hope its has good has the shogun would be well pleased if it is