Sign in to follow this  
sampvt

Insurance Write Off Question

Last week I sustained some lightweight damage on my caravan from a wind related awning issue. The insurance company offered me money because they couldnt repair it with new for old and they made me an offer which included me keeping the caravan which I accepted. I duelly took the money and repaired the caravan myself which made it sound and perfect again. My wife is now worried it will happen again and shes gone west on caravanning, so we are going back to motorhoming again.

I now want to sell the caravan and my dealer friend has offered me half of what its worth as he informs me that I cant sell it without saying its an insurance effected write off, even though its repaired again. I am a little bemused as to why he would buy it as he is going to sell it on so if he can, why cant I do the same as him.

Does anyone know what my legal or ethical options are as I keep hearing of people that ignore all these facts and just off load them on E bay. I dont relish come backs so where do I stand

Have the insurance company actually written it off. My previous van was unable to be repaired due to obselete parts at 6yrs old but was not written off. I sold it private for trade value less insurance payout. Buyer and myself were content.

It was declared as a write off becasue they couldnt source the rear panel needed. i agreed to keep the van and the balance of the value less the salvage was given to me which i used to get a new panel from a breakers and the van is back to perfect condition but with this damm cat c write off lable hanging round its neck. Ive made no money on the deal as yet, so its a straight forward payment turned into a repair and now available for sale to anyone that wants th=o get a clean bill of health certificate and a new CRiS reg document at a cost of £15.

Last week I sustained some lightweight damage on my caravan from a wind related awning issue. The insurance company offered me money because they couldnt repair it with new for old and they made me an offer which included me keeping the caravan which I accepted. I duelly took the money and repaired the caravan myself which made it sound and perfect again. My wife is now worried it will happen again and shes gone west on caravanning, so we are going back to motorhoming again.

I now want to sell the caravan and my dealer friend has offered me half of what its worth as he informs me that I cant sell it without saying its an insurance effected write off, even though its repaired again. I am a little bemused as to why he would buy it as he is going to sell it on so if he can, why cant I do the same as him.

Does anyone know what my legal or ethical options are as I keep hearing of people that ignore all these facts and just off load them on E bay. I dont relish come backs so where do I stand

My understanding of the sales of goods act as it applies to a private sale is that the obligations are not as strict as if it is a trade sale.

You are however still obliged to describe the goods honestly, particularly if you are specifically asked 'has this caravan ever been written off by an insurance company'. I don't however believe you are legally obliged to describe as such in the initial advert, like they have (or rather are supposed to do) to do with cars. (happy to be corrected on this though)

It is incumbent upon the seller to establish such a thing I would say. Hence the term 'caveat emptor'. The goods must essentially still be 'as described' eg a 'five year old caravan' but if the ad. says 'accident free' then this I believe would be contrary to the act.

Additionally if the buyer specifically enquired about it's accident history and you with held information and it could be shown you knowingly did this then that I believe could mean you had problems subsequently and may be sued by the buyer for compensation.

My inclination would be to initially state it's history but confirm it's been fully repaired and see what you get for it. If the repair has indeed been done well I can't see that the value should plummet as much as a dealer (who has a vested interest in getting it cheap) claims.

'The term 'written off' unfortunately implies something has been really substantially damaged when often it means nothing of the sort. It is relatively easy for an older car or caravan to be 'written off' due to the unavailability of parts or if the repair comes close to the value of the vehicle - a savvy buyer should see this.

Edited by Tin_Snail

If I was selling I would advertise as Caravan in good condition stating cat C with full repair done for a price you would be happy with and see how it goes, just for piece of mind. That way you are not seen as hiding any facts and they have no come back.

You must let any buyer's know it is cat C as they may have trouble insuring it. You do not then want to become involved court case.

Sorry, can't give you a definitive answer to cat c write off, but do know that insurance companies won't reinsure flood damaged / repaired caravans even at 6 weeks old.

For myself, I would check with a couple of insurance companies first. If ok, then advertise as cat c fully repaired.

Written off caravans go on a data base which all insurers can see. Any trader selling such a van/s will lose any contracts with insurance companies.

Last week I sustained some lightweight damage on my caravan from a wind related awning issue. The insurance company offered me money because they couldnt repair it with new for old and they made me an offer which included me keeping the caravan which I accepted.

They couldn't repair it with "new for old", if the caravan was insured new for old.

They should have offered a replacement van, to the amount of cover you had.

Provided you had enough cover for replacement value.

Edited by wigelywoo

Get a engineers report and send it to the insurance company to prove the caravan has been repaired to a satisfactory condition and to lift the Cat C from the record . As said insurance could be a problem for any new buyers .

Dave

• Like 1