Sign in to follow this  
tonykaren

Rookie Mistake

got the caravan home YES made it. ..unhitched put legs down moved car and . .BANG. . damn it forgot to take the safety cable of. its ok its of now :blush: . looked on internet and they have cable and chains which is best

Don't worry! We've all done that at some time. Replace with a cable. They are designed to break - after pulling on the brake.

• Like 2

got the caravan home YES made it. ..unhitched put legs down moved car and . .BANG. . damn it forgot to take the safety cable of. its ok its of now :blush: . looked on internet and they have cable and chains which is best

Oh dear! There's a few of us done that though :lol:.

You'll need a cable, I think the chains are more for trailers.

If you have a fixed ball you can use either the clip type to go round the ball or the caribener type to clip to a fixed point on the towbar. But if you have removable ball then you must use the latter.

John

Hi I wondered what you were going to say! I thought it was going to be sorting bad.

You do say what caravan you have just make sure that you get one suitable for your chassie.

Andrew

Edited by andrew2762

Don't worry! We've all done that at some time. Replace with a cable. They are designed to break - after pulling on the brake.

My hand is up on that one, done it broke it, bought a new one!!!!

Buy two, so you have a spare for when you do it again! :P

Seriously though, if you break another, you cannot tow without one.

Also, always have to hand any tools you may need to attach a new cable. If an Alko one, that will be a pair of Vice Grips, such as Mole Grips.

I've done it too! Thrice! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi. Only two sorts of caravaner. Thoe's that have, and thoe's that are going to.

Me I have managed it twice, but in self defence one was 2:30 in the morning pitch dark.

kot

pigs

• Like 1

Forgetting to unhitch the breakaway cable and wrecking it is inconvenient enough. But has anyone forgot to disconnect a 13-pin plug? I nearly did. Unlike the old 12N/12S plugs, the 13-pin one turns and locks into the socket. Forget, and the whole assembly is ripped apart, leaving you with having to buy new plug and socket and completely rewire them.

• Like 1

We have all done it. That is why many of us carry a spare!

Enjoy your caravanning!

Forgetting to unhitch the breakaway cable and wrecking it is inconvenient enough. But has anyone forgot to disconnect a 13-pin plug? I nearly did. Unlike the old 12N/12S plugs, the 13-pin one turns and locks into the socket. Forget, and the whole assembly is ripped apart, leaving you with having to buy new plug and socket and completely rewire them.

Not done that - but did once drive out of site with the 12S extension cable still connected - it pulled away from the caravan plug and wasn't noticed until I'd left the site and was driving down a main road! Needless to say there was nothing left of the 12S extension socket and the cable was a lot shorter!

I've done it 3 times. .. lol

• Like 1

Sadly we did that at the same time!!!. . A very costly mistake. .

Buy two, so you have a spare for when you do it again! :P

Seriously though, if you break another, you cannot tow without one.

Also, always have to hand any tools you may need to attach a new cable. If an Alko one, that will be a pair of Vice Grips, such as Mole Grips.

I've done it too! Thrice!

shall get a couple then thanks

Not done that - but did once drive out of site with the 12S extension cable still connected - it pulled away from the caravan plug and wasn't noticed until I'd left the site and was driving down a main road! Needless to say there was nothing left of the 12S extension socket and the cable was a lot shorter!

appreciate this post hehhe makes me feel slightly better

My hand is up on that one, done it broke it, bought a new one!!!!

+1!

A backup chain is only suitable for an Unbraked trailer. It is intended to keep the trailer attached to the vehicle, rather than wander off on its own. A breakaway cable is intended to apply the caravan brakes, thus arresting the progress of a potential runaway, and then part company from the towing vehicle.

• Like 1

Been there, done that! But only once . . .

Given that I tow a caravan or various trailers with a variety of tugs, not a bad result!

Cheers

Keith

I did worse than that, when I was an apprentice HGV mechanic I was unhitching a trailer. I wound down the landing legs then pulled the pin on the fifth wheel but I forgot to undo the air lines and electrics.

When I pulled away from under the trailer there was a bang on the back of the cab. Oops! I was lucky the type of airlines were the curly type and only one of the three had broken off causing the bang on the cab, the other two were still attached albeit a "little" stretched. The wiring cable was strong enough and it simply pulled out.

Another lesson learned in the workshop. !

BTW on another little incident I was unhitching a freightmaster van and unknown to me it was heavily loaded on the front.

When I pulled out from below the trailer we always looked back and let the trailer rest gently on the ground.

Only this time the trailer disappeared down behind the tractor unit. Oh no I thought I had forgot to lower the landing legs but then I got the real shock.

Because the trailer was heavily loaded on the front it pivoted on the landing legs so now the entire rear end and twin axles were in mid air. This was back in the 70's and it was a much shorter trailer than you see on the road today.

We had to get a forklift with a heavy load on it to bring the trailer back to earth so to speak.

Yet another lesson learned, check what's inside the trailer before dropping it.

Had 13 pin on new van and N & S on car, hence extension adaptor fitted.

Didn't tie it up properly so it touched the road and wore through slowly.

Result was the ATC system flung on in middle of Swansea. Self test came on and stopped the car and landrover dead. But then released!

Drove to supermarket car park and rewired it with taped joints. Worked fine.

Lesson learned.

We have just got a new (to us) caravan which has a motor mover, twice I have tried to move it with the handbrake on, panicking why won't it move!

On our old van I also drove off the storage site with the Jockey wheel still down, luckily after about 100yds my wife told me to stop she wanted to check the caravan door was locked and noticed it on her walk back.

• Like 1

A backup chain is only suitable for an Unbraked trailer. It is intended to keep the trailer attached to the vehicle, rather than wander off on its own. A breakaway cable is intended to apply the caravan brakes, thus arresting the progress of a potential runaway, and then part company from the towing vehicle.

little tips like this really help so cable and spare on its way

Happens to us all. I had the embarrassment of the cc warden saying to us 'you're new to caravanning aren't you'. The reply was yes, then he proceeded to point out that I'd forgot to lock in the hitch stabiliser.

• Like 1

Tried to pull away with the motor mover still attached to the caravan wheels and wondered why the van didn't want to move - thought I'd left the caravan handbrake on :blush:

Edited by gmc15

We once saw a first time out family unhitch their little end-kitchen van - I don't think it was much more than 12 foot.

Anyway, as the chap undid the hitch the A frame rose into the air and despite his best efforts continued on up until the back end of the van was on the floor.

It took three of us to pull it back down - Then we had a little chat about loading the caravan. . :D

• Like 1

Yes, I've done it, but I pulled the cable out of the loom! Not a good thing when it is teeming down with rain and not being able to blame someone else. There's never a first time for anything!

Alan

We have all made mistakes. Mine today was today when we moved the caravan back into position at home. It isn't on very level ground. Motor mover and caravan brake was on. The Alko wheel lock was on and when we disengaged the motor mover, the front of the van went sideways because the jockey wheel wasn't straight. Quite scary as it nearly went into. Horse trailer parked next to it.

I managed to lean against it to stop it going further while my sister put the motor mover on again.

Sign in to follow this