Sign in to follow this  
NeilM73

Mpg When Towing

my previous Disco 1300tdi

I bet that was slow!

About 13. 5 solo and 10 towing . . Disco 2 V8 on LPG and Coachman 590/4 TA. All calculated via spread sheet . .

I always used to think my DII V8 was a bit poor on lpg consumption but perhaps was expecting too much it was not dissimilar to yours,

Surely towing mpg is important to the many on a certain budget----it has to be added to cost of holiday / hobby.

Also count in something for wear & tear on towcar.

For long journeys we use B&B /hotel accommodation as the extra costs of vanning just don't add up.

Everyone must decide if they want an economical car or something with loads of power for towing. This will probably be dictated by the amount of vanning you do----unless you can afford cars for both jobs.

Surely towing mpg is important to the many on a certain budget----it has to be added to cost of holiday / hobby.

Also count in something for wear & tear on towcar.

For long journeys we use B&B /hotel accommodation as the extra costs of vanning just don't add up.

Everyone must decide if they want an economical car or something with loads of power for towing. This will probably be dictated by the amount of vanning you do----unless you can afford cars for both jobs.

And a smaller, lighter, cheaper caravan is an option - it comes down to personal choice.

• Like 1

50-52 solo, 27-28 towing in UK, 30-32 towing in France - smoother roads!

We get about same with Honda Accord Tourer 2. 2 iCDT (manual) tugging a1450kg Bailey Rimini with pull out blind & Evolution mover attached. That's generally at 50-50mph, slower up steep hills, of course.

In my Touareg I get 22mpg towing to Colchester and I get 24. 6 towing further i. e. To daleacres in Kent m11-m25-m20 at a steady 56mph

Ford Mondeo Diesel 210PS automatic. Solo around 42mpg, towing our TA abbey got 24mpg. All according to the onboard computer.

Our Kia showed 28-29mpg when towing (in France where its less congested!) Solo have seen 42mpg on computer.

Not too bothered it needs fuel we put it in!

Santa Fe Auto 29mpg average since new, done 14000 and towed for about 2500 of it. Thats total miles divided by total galls from new. The computer lies by giving a 4mpg upgrade to the actual mpg.

As posted recently, on a 370 mile stint from Zebrugge to Obernai south of Strasbourg, at a steady 90kph cruise, my Mercedes C220 estate returned a staggering 37mpg, towing 1450kg of Bailey.

In comparison, last weekend, over a 60 mile stint of up hill and down dale across Yorkshire, it only managed 24mpg.

Solo it usually averages about 50mpg, but on recent trip up the M1, of 70mph and stop/start it recorded 67. 3 mpg

post-77752-0-39983800-1476298773_thumb.jpg

Pretty impressive for a nice comfy car

And for the record, the computer is not that far out when checked against brim to brim.

Edited by kilham5

Ford S-Max 2. 0 TD, 45+ mpg solo, 26 mpg towing 7m / 1500Kg van with 4 bikes on the car roof.

Makes 40 -> 30 seem pretty good.

2wd Mazda cx-5 48 mpg solo 31 mpg towing, little difference as to the caravan.

DS 28 mpg solo, 21 mpg towing- Carlight only, won't tow the Lunar. ...

2wd Mazda cx-5 48 mpg solo 31 mpg towing, little difference as to the caravan.

DS 28 mpg solo, 21 mpg towing- Carlight only, won't tow the Lunar. ...

Is that the average read out which over reads by 2. 5 mpg, or brim to brim?

Honda CRV 50 solo, 26-28 towing

My previous figure were towing a Bailey Unicorn Madrid S1 1598kg, towing our new Swift Conqueror 480 apparently more aerodynamic and weighing only 1454kg 32mpg, seems the Bailey is as aerodynamic as a barn door.

xtrailman, both are brim to brim.

• Like 1

My 2. 0Tdci (180ps) Powershift S-Max has only 2000 miles on the clock but so far, by brimming it on every fill, I'm getting about 46mpg solo and 31mpg towing our Cadiz 3 (1550kg) we've towed around 600 miles so far.

Those readings correspond pretty well with the fuel computer as well. I'm anticipating it to improve a bit as the car gets run in.

• Like 1

Mpg when towing? Never felt the need to ever measure it

I just accept it will be lower than solo, and fill up as necessary

• Like 2

I reset our mpg display part way into a 140 mile tow and it came out at 26mph (Kuga AWD Powershift Diesel, 1550kg 'van).

Normal work run for the wife is around 37mpg. .

Solo I get around 48-50mpg according to the onboard computer. One weekend I had to fit a new battery before driving home with my old Avondale, (860kg unladen) the computer reset itself but got to around 38mpg before I got home, but was still going up. I tow mainly in 5th gear at around 58mph.

What equipment are you guys using to measure your to a decimal point mpg? Nearly all speedos are inaccurate thus so are the associated mileometers.

What equipment are you guys using to measure your to a decimal point mpg? Nearly all speedos are inaccurate thus so are the associated mileometers.

The odometer part of any car's instrumentation has to be used as accurate - although it won't be, there's no practical alternative - but compared to satnav journey calculated distance, I've never noticed much error.

Tyre wearing down has an effect but impossible to evaluate.

Only really accurate way to measure MPG is to use external calibrated equipment, such as Whatcar true MPG use.

• Like 1

Grand Voyager 3. 3 on lpg with a 4 speed auto box. 13-25 mpg solo (Commute 30-40mph - Motorway 70-77ish)

9. 1-16mpg towing.

Rough price equivalent of 26-50mpg solo, 18-32 towing, as only pay . 49p-.70p per litre for LPG.

Not too bad, but gearbox is cr*p for towing.

Time to change the car me thinks (When I can afford it).

Edited by Rnclayton101

Today I got what is probably my best towing mpg yet - 35mpg over 68 miles. Usually it's nearer 31mpg but last Saturday towing against a head wind it was down to 25mpg over 100 miles.

post-261-0-71284000-1478635597_thumb.jpg

520D beema towing 1500kg

Solo around 55mpg mostly motorway, towing just over 40mpg