Sign in to follow this  
prando

Leaving Unit Hitched Up For 24 Hours

Apart from the security aspect, is there any other reasons to avoid doing this ?

We keep the caravan on the drive and It suits us to hitch up the day before, in readiness for an early start. i. e. Jump in and drive away, with no worries about the weather.

It has been our practice to connect electrics, albeit nothing switched on in the van. (Fridge etc off)

Am I missing something ?

Thanks.

I always do it.

On the ferry to Spain that's exactly what happens.

knarf

• Like 2

I always do it but always disconnect the grey electrics. Not sure why but i just dont trust the charge system not to drain my battery overnight for some reason.

• Like 3

I always do it but always disconnect the grey electrics. Not sure why but i just dont trust the charge system not to drain my battery overnight for some reason.

Same as us!

From what you say ( jump in drive away ) I take it that you have no wheelclamps etc. In place. That being the case I would be a bit worried about you invalidating your insurance cover should any undesirable take a fancy to it.

• Like 2

From what you say ( jump in drive away ) I take it that you have no wheelclamps etc. In place. That being the case I would be a bit worried about you invalidating your insurance cover should any undesirable take a fancy to it.

Just the hitchlock for me which can go on when connected to the car. Wheel locks are not a condition of my insurance.

I used to regularly do it when we were leaving at silly o'clock in the morning to go up to Scotland - just the hitchlock and alarm used for security.

I've been told it can't be done, but I always left the EHU plugged in to keep the fridge going while still having 12N and 12S plugs inserted.

No need now I'm retired, we just leave after tea the night before and overnight in the Scottish Borders.

Friend in Essex lost theirs in exactly same circumstances, Range Rover & a Buccaneer whilst they were loading for France!....other friends in York thought they were OK as steel guarding post in drive. ........angle grinder and four men saw to that. .......... at least in a ship there isn't anywhere to go.

geoff

If they want your van they will have it whether you leave it hitched up on your drive or unhitched with all the bells and whistles security devices you use.

knarf

The op asked for advice on whether it is possible to do it "apart from the security aspect"

I like the idea of coupling up the night before an early start, especially keeping the 230V connected for the fridge.

I sometimes do it but also leave the wheel lock on the caravan. It only takes seconds to remove before going .

ATC would constantly be drawing some current from car battery, but not much. If in doubt, best disconnect the 13 pin plug

ATC would constantly be drawing some current from car battery, but not much. If in doubt, best disconnect the 13 pin plug

But that's the only way to clear an ATC log full condition - so the drain must be very low.

especially keeping the 230V connected for the fridge.

Mine is connected as well. At the start of most caravanning tours my van stands on the drive overnight so I can get an early start in the morning. Most journeys have me joining the M25 in either direction within 8 miles of leaving home so I like to be away by 6am to avoid congestion. Besides keeping the fridge cold, the motor mover does quite a bit of work prior to hitching on so I like to top up the battery as well. In the morning it's an easy matter to disconnect and pull the cable under the gates. Security isn't an issue since the car would need unlocking and moving before the van could be taken.

post-261-0-69560400-1473188558_thumb.jpg

Our Kia Sorento left hooked up to the van on 24 hour ferry crossings has been ok.

This year on a 36 hour crossing the car battery was dead. Don't know why cos everything was in theory switched off in the van

Mine is connected as well. At the start of most caravanning tours my van stands on the drive overnight so I can get an early start in the morning. Most journeys have me joining the M25 in either direction within 8 miles of leaving home so I like to be away by 6am to avoid congestion. Besides keeping the fridge cold, the motor mover does quite a bit of work prior to hitching on so I like to top up the battery as well. In the morning it's an easy matter to disconnect and pull the cable under the gates. Security isn't an issue since the car would need unlocking and moving before the van could be taken.

Nice one! We downsized our caravan this year and as a result we can now get the outfit on our frontage, coupled up. I tried it last trip and it was excellent. Your statement about avoiding the motor mover draining the battery adds a bonus to the procedure. There's always something new in this game!

This year on a 36 hour crossing the car battery was dead. Don't know why cos everything was in theory switched off in the van

See post 3 in which Tom wrote " always disconnect the grey electrics. Not sure why but i just dont trust the charge system not to drain my battery overnight for some reason.

When you start your engine a relay closes and power from the alternator goes to the fridge. When you switch off, so should the relay - but if because of a fault it doesn't, as the alternator isn't working, your car battery will provide the power until it's exhausted. For a belt and braces approach, unplug the 12S socket.

See post 3 in which Tom wrote " always disconnect the grey electrics. Not sure why but i just dont trust the charge system not to drain my battery overnight for some reason.

When you start your engine a relay closes and power from the alternator goes to the fridge. When you switch off, so should the relay - but if because of a fault it doesn't, as the alternator isn't working, your car battery will provide the power until it's exhausted. For a belt and braces approach, unplug the 12S socket.

If the alternator isn't working it won't have latched the relay to start with.

By your logic should a 13-pin plug be removed?

Why not just leave the tow hitch hovering over the tow ball, some form of security (just in case) and EHU connected for the fridge? Then it's just a case of hitching up, connecting the towing electrics and disconnecting the EHU. Maybe 10 minutes at the most?

Edited by Pebble

By your logic should a 13-pin plug be removed?

That is our position now after being the last vehicle off Cap Finistere in February!!!

I didn't say the alternator wasn't working. If the relay failed before the engine was switched off, power would continue to flow.

Edited by Jaydug

Thanks, as ever, guys for the advice.

The discussion regarding unplugging / alternators etc has gone over my head, but I take it that I should be careful of discharging car battery. Understood. I will ensure the electrics are not fully connected.

Sign in to follow this