Schrader Screw On Valve Connectors

jrb2446

I have bought a Ring 635 and it has Schrader screw connector which when the preset pressure is reached on screwing it free air is lost

Using a good quality tyre pressure gauge after it has been unscrewed 1. 5psi is lost so to compensate I have to over inflate by 1. 5psi.

Has anyone got any tips or better still does any one know how convert this screw on connector to a snap on type ideally by screwing this onto the Schrader connector

Thanks for any help

I have a similar pump. You need to unscrew it quickly to minimise the loss of air.

• Like 1

I have tried this, but thanks any way. Possibly using WD40 on the screw end of the valve might decrease my pit stop times.

I have also tried the advice given to me by Ring but to no avail

Why have snap on connectors disappeared, only Streetwize seem to use them, and being of a certain generation this is one change that is not for me

• Like 1

I moved away from snap on when the type of wheel/valve combination made it not possible to get the thumb lock on it.

You can get thumb locks, but I cannot find any that you just attach to the existing, only ones that go onto the pipe such as the following:

http://www. halfords. com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/breakdown-essentials/halfords-thumb-lock-tyre-valve-connector

You may be able to make up an adaptor though using the thumblock, a bit of pipe and a valve.

I have a screw-on connector on the OE pump for my collapsible spare, which I use to top-up the road wheels - there's a knack in pushing the hose on with one hand while the other unscrews the connector - BUT - at the first hiss of air, pull the hose away and carry on unscrewing.

I can set the caravan tyres accurately to 3. 6 bar (54 psi) without any loss of pressure.

It is of course possible that your pump and your hand-held gauge are calibrated slightly differently.

Edited by Black Grouse
  • Like 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

When I first got my pump, it used to read the same as my hand held gauges. Over time, the digital gauge pump one is no longer accurate. The pump is 0. 2 bar out. I have 3 hand held gauges and they were all reading the same (until I lost one and the batteries died on another).

If I didn't have multiple pressure gauges, I would not have known which was the more accurate one.

I actually prefer the screw on connector on my RING 900, but if not, then I would make up an adaptor hose featuring Topeak's excellent Twin Head coupling. Using a salvage Schrader stem and something cobbled up in the workshop.

http://www. wiggle. co. uk/topeak-twinhead-kit/

I use one of these

E577264C-D029-4A2D-AC19-089B0EF6F25E-lar

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

I much prefer screw on connectors, over the years I've lost a lot of air when trying to remove the lever type, finding that you lift the lever to release but the rubber insert holds on to the valve stem.

To release the screw on type I use two hands, one to hold the hose and push gently towards the valve and the other to unscrew the collar, once the collar is unscrewed pull the hose away from the valve. It isn't difficult, It is just a matter of practice to get the timing right.

In the past I have fitted one of these to a previous foot pump