Sign in to follow this  
Rbrown3

Avante 564 Rear Shell Split Again

I bought this Elddis Avante 564 April 2013( Chatsworth ) thinking that this caravan would see me out out of touring but this is not the case, last year a crack was found at the top rear of Caravan and last March along with the service at AK leisure the rear panel was changed. I have used this caravan once for 1 week to Kings Lynn 80 miles from my home, yesterday I went to wash the caravan to prepare for the 2nd holiday and found another crack, when I saw the replacement of the rear shell it looked very thin. I am not impressed with the SOLID. post-55046-0-66715500-1473059952_thumb.jpgpost-55046-0-54874700-1473059988_thumb.jpg

If is in the same place then your repair is covered for 6 years from repair date. i know this dont make it better. but might help getting it redone

If is in the same place then your repair is covered for 6 years from repair date. i know this dont make it better. but might help getting it redone

The OP appears to have had the panel replaced-not repaired.

That's just not acceptable. I thought the original cracks were due to some problem with the structure of the rear end, but this is on the roof - looks like someone may have knelt on it when doing the original replacement.

a replacement is also a repair. its a fix that has not cured the original problem. either replace or repair. its cover for 6 years,not just a year now

a replacement is also a repair. its a fix that has not cured the original problem. either replace or repair. its cover for 6 years,not just a year now

Where do you get the 6 year figure from?

Where do you get the 6 year figure from?

There is a reference to body integrity warranty against water ingress damage being limited to a maximum of six years when the caravan changes hands.

However, the Warranty document only applies to all components in year one of ownership. In years two and three body panels appear to be excluded.

There is a reference to body integrity warranty against water ingress damage being limited to a maximum of six years when the caravan changes hands.

However, the Warranty document only applies to all components in year one of ownership. In years two and three body panels appear to be excluded.

I thought the plastic panels themselves were only covered for one year although the seams are covered for 10 years:

Ten year body integrity warranty

Elddis, Compass, Xplore and Buccaneer products are covered against water ingress damage for 10 years from the original date of purchase of a new product. This applies to water ingress through any permanently sealed seam joints.

There was no reference in the OP's post whether or not he got the van new but in any case on a 3 year old 'van with a failed repair I'd expect the dealer to repair it tout suite. I was just wondering if something had changed regarding some sort of 6 year guarantee on repairs as smino seemed to suggest.

The 2nd rear panel failed on my Affinity, as a result (plus many other issues like damp in the roof) I don't own it anymore.

As I understand it the panel is only covered by 12 months warranty and the Elddis ingress warranty only covers permanently sealed joints. A cracked panel is not covered by the ingress warranty. I am not saying this is how it should be, but it appears to be the reality of the situation. Elddis have rejected warranty claims for panels over 12 months old.

However this is all just warranty information and nothing to do with what the retailer is obliged to fix under SOGA etc.

Mark.

from new the front and rear panels are 12months warranty,but if a failure in the first month. u can reject the van.

then upto 6 months you can reject the van, but a apeal can be made by the dealer for them to be allowed to repair it(in other words its best to let them repair it) ,but if a repair is done instead of a rejection the repair is covered by a 6 year guarantee(not warranty).

so if you have a repair and it fades or recracks on the same repaired item you have the guaranty for the dealer to repair it.

This now comes under the new and revised law from oct 2015 under consumer protection act and no longer the sale of goods and services act.

https://www. citizensadvice. org. uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

So as i have had to have my front panel repaired i had written conformaton thru firstly the citizens advice(they take all details and then forward you on, all in 1 phone call to there consumer protection team).i done this to be armed with the info before it went in for repair. this was shown to the dealer and made them aware. so if they wanted to apeal against me rejecting the van they would decide there and then, which would be the best for them.

They then covered them selves by subing out the work,so if it failed then they could go back to there repairer if the repair fails.

Edited by smino0_1

I could understand the 6 year window on a repair you've paid for and also that you should be able to demand a repair under guarantee in the first 6 years. What I can't get my head round is that you get 6 years guarantee on a "free" repair. Most "free" repairs are only guaranteed to the end of the original warrantee period. Are you saying that if you have a repair fail in year 5 you get a further 6 years on the second repair? If the panels continued to fail at 5 year intervals you'd have an everlasting guarantee.

• Like 1

well this is what is stated. mine was 3 months old and failed. so they said accept the repair(as the dealer will win otherwise) if it then fails upto 6years then i can reject the van and have a replacment refund. so i said if it fades in 1 year then i can ask for my money back and they say "YES".As they have had the chance to put it right and only once they have to fix it. then a judge would favvour u as they have had the chance to put it right. and thats where the new law has changed. it makes it clearer alround

so as the op hasnt said if they bought new and when the first panel failed. this will depend on that

I thought the plastic panels themselves were only covered for one year although the seams are covered for 10 years:

Ten year body integrity warranty

Elddis, Compass, Xplore and Buccaneer products are covered against water ingress damage for 10 years from the original date of purchase of a new product. This applies to water ingress through any permanently sealed seam joints.

There was no reference in the OP's post whether or not he got the van new but in any case on a 3 year old 'van with a failed repair I'd expect the dealer to repair it tout suite. I was just wondering if something had changed regarding some sort of 6 year guarantee on repairs as smino seemed to suggest.

You are covered for 6 years under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which over rides any warranty that a manufacturer may offer and your issue is with the dealership and nto the manufacturer. As this can be proved to be an inherent fault, you are covered by the act even if the caravan was bought prior to October 2015 but will be covered under the Sale of Goods Act.

True. so with this in hand i would be asking the dealer for a repair/replacement panel again. firstly i would find if there has been a rectifcation for the failure area. i have seen some coments saying theys trimmed the frame structure to alevate this reoccuring. but i would have thought the dealer would know. but its worth the mention. as they maybe able to claim it back

True. so with this in hand i would be asking the dealer for a repair/replacement panel again. firstly i would find if there has been a rectifcation for the failure area. i have seen some coments saying theys trimmed the frame structure to alevate this reoccuring. but i would have thought the dealer would know. but its worth the mention. as they maybe able to claim it back

Fitting the new rear panel without chamfering the timber frame would likely result in the panel splitting again. There is no 'give' in ABS, so forcing the new panel over the unaltered frame would be a waste of time should there be any expansion in the timber. When a number of us suffered the cracked panels, many seemed to occur in the winter period where timber may hold more moisture than normal.

My dealer chamfered the frame before fitting the new panel and two years on it is fine. I suspect there were dealers who did not carry out the frame modification.

Fitting the new rear panel without chamfering the timber frame would likely result in the panel splitting again. There is no 'give' in ABS, so forcing the new panel over the unaltered frame would be a waste of time should there be any expansion in the timber. When a number of us suffered the cracked panels, many seemed to occur in the winter period where timber may hold more moisture than normal.

My dealer chamfered the frame before fitting the new panel and two years on it is fine. I suspect there were dealers who did not carry out the frame modification.

My frame was modified when the second panel was fitted, the dealer showed me the guidance provided by Elddis and what they had done during the repair. Unfortunately it didn't stop it cracking less than 2 years later. The first panel only lasted 9 months so the second one was better. ..maybe they did not chamfer enough off the frame. No way of proving that now but the bodyshop were very good and I have no reason to doubt that they didn't follow the guidance correctly.

Mark.

Has anyone got a photo of this chamfering as i can't quite get my head around what they chamfer,i thought the alloy went right to the edge of the wood, are we talking about preening the alloy as they did in the old caravan roof over the side panel.

Flynn

Hi, I have a 2013 Elddis 576. Had a crack in the rear panel that was replaced May 2015. In June 2016 I found a crack in the replaced panel (very similar) to the OP's pics at the top. The dealer submitted the warranty claim and this was rejected August 2016. Van is now 3. 5 years old.

I made the big mistake of purchasing some 250 miles away from home, I know, I know, never again. I found a local dealer who took on all warranty work and it was this dealer who replaced the first panel and put the claim in for the 2nd that has now been rejected.

I have now written to the original supplying dealer requesting they take the van back as basically we have had enough. Obviously they are refusing.

Apart from interior problems which have been rectified, I have had the

front panel repaired as blistering and small air pocket cracks

2 x different area floor delaminations

1 x rear panel cracked

and finally another rear panel cracked

I really want to go down the route of "Small Claims Court" or what it may be called now.

I have sent the original dealer a "letter before action" but all I am getting from them is, we haven't seen the van, it sounds like poor workmanship.

I have tried explaining to them that at point of purchase (NEC show) the salesman assured us that as we lived so far away in the event of any warranty work, they would find us a local dealer to us to take the work on. Why did we listen ?, they lied and were not interested just kept saying bring the van in.

Elddis actually found the current dealer i'm using now for repairs, but I've really just had enough and want rid of this problematic van.

Do you think i'm right to proceed with the smalls claims to the original dealer some 3. 5 years after collecting it.

Hi, I have a 2013 Elddis 576. Had a crack in the rear panel that was replaced May 2015. In June 2016 I found a crack in the replaced panel (very similar) to the OP's pics at the top. The dealer submitted the warranty claim and this was rejected August 2016. Van is now 3. 5 years old.

I made the big mistake of purchasing some 250 miles away from home, I know, I know, never again. I found a local dealer who took on all warranty work and it was this dealer who replaced the first panel and put the claim in for the 2nd that has now been rejected.

I have now written to the original supplying dealer requesting they take the van back as basically we have had enough. Obviously they are refusing.

Apart from interior problems which have been rectified, I have had the

front panel repaired as blistering and small air pocket cracks

2 x different area floor delaminations

1 x rear panel cracked

and finally another rear panel cracked

I really want to go down the route of "Small Claims Court" or what it may be called now.

I have sent the original dealer a "letter before action" but all I am getting from them is, we haven't seen the van, it sounds like poor workmanship.

I have tried explaining to them that at point of purchase (NEC show) the salesman assured us that as we lived so far away in the event of any warranty work, they would find us a local dealer to us to take the work on. Why did we listen ?, they lied and were not interested just kept saying bring the van in.

Elddis actually found the current dealer i'm using now for repairs, but I've really just had enough and want rid of this problematic van.

Do you think i'm right to proceed with the smalls claims to the original dealer some 3. 5 years after collecting it.

Not sure why you sent a Letter before Action before giving the original supplier a chance to inspect the caravan or do a repair. No wonder they are ignoring the letter as Sale of Goods Act states that the supplier should be given the opportunity to rectify the problem. Secondly due to the value of the caravan you wil not be able to use the small claims court. The big issue here is the repair by the dealer nearest to you and the Sale of Goods Act. I strongly recommend that you contact your nearest CAB office and have a chat with them as their legal advice is sound and free. This can be in person or Online.

Can you offer any proof that the dealer from whom you bought told you about getting a dealership near you to handle the servicing and repairs? Lastly, if it does go to court you will not get a full refund as you have had use out of the caravan for the past 3. 5 years.

I sympathise with you however you need to step back and take the issue into consideration. Can I suggest that if you do nto go to CAB first before you do anything else make the effort to take the caravan back to the original supplying dealer to do an inspection and if possible a repair? Once that has bene done, then only consider the legalities.

If you decide to save the hassle and trade in the caravan, the crack may be spotted and you will be offered substantially less for the caravan. If you sell privately and do not mention the crack and the crack is picked up at a later stage by the buyer, the buyer can still sue you under the Misrepresentation Act although it was bought as seen.

Hi,

I purchased the van when at the NEC show in October 2012. At the time our concerns were any warranty issues. The sales guy assured us he would find us a local dealer if and when the time come. (obviously just a sales pitch to get the sale).

As our contract is with the original supplying dealer, this is why I have been sending them letters.

I have informed them that the van is at my home address and they are more than welcome to make an appointment to come and visit and take a look. They have refused. They want me to make a 500 mile round trip for a 10 minute inspection only to be told it out of warranty.

As far as I am concerned I have given them the option for inspecting the van, they have declined.

I will however, contact my local CAB to see what they say.

I think the problem is that a caravan is classed as 'portable' rather than 'fixed'. As such it has to be returned to the place of purchase for inspection, much the same as you would expect for say, a faulty electric kettle. You wouldn't expect the shop to send someone to your house to inspect that. However, seek legal advice as you may be able to claim out of pocket expenses for returning the faulty goods.

Hi,

I purchased the van when at the NEC show in October 2012. At the time our concerns were any warranty issues. The sales guy assured us he would find us a local dealer if and when the time come. (obviously just a sales pitch to get the sale).

As our contract is with the original supplying dealer, this is why I have been sending them letters.

I have informed them that the van is at my home address and they are more than welcome to make an appointment to come and visit and take a look. They have refused. They want me to make a 500 mile round trip for a 10 minute inspection only to be told it out of warranty.

As far as I am concerned I have given them the option for inspecting the van, they have declined.

I will however, contact my local CAB to see what they say.

As mentioned, you need to take the caravan back to the supplier for an inspection. I feel certain that CAB will confirm this however the fact that the repair was carried out by another approved dealership may be an issue, but CAB can advise. Please keep us updated.

The fact that it is out of warranty is not your concern as a warranty is a worthless piece of paper and does not concern you as you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act as below where I have highlighted points that may apply to your case.

Sale of Goods Act Key Facts:

1 Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i. e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

2 Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

3 It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

4 If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

5 For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

6 A purchaser who is a consumer, i. e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

7 If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

8 In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e. g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i. e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

9 If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e. g. were not inherently faulty)

10 After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

I think what you have is an inherent fault due to the number of people reporting cracked panels across a number of forums with thsi forum holding several such threads. I think the chances of success are extremely good and do not forget that you can call the manufacturer as an expert witness which will also help your case. I have done this with great success, but if you wnat more info on thsi aspect PM me.

• Like 1

Well looks like another battle, Elddis will not repair as it is outside warranty, the warranty does not start when a new part is fitted, so if original part only had 2 days left then the new part is only covered for the 2 remaining days where do they come up with this con.

If your in the caravan club contact them and ask for advice as well as the CAB, I think that it will involve taking the caravan back for inspection, if so you could take it in and arrange to have a holiday at a nearby site, there's some nice sites in that area.

Well looks like another battle, Elddis will not repair as it is outside warranty, the warranty does not start when a new part is fitted, so if original part only had 2 days left then the new part is only covered for the 2 remaining days where do they come up with this con.

It is not your concern that Elddis do not want to do the repair under warranty as your contract is with the delaer and not Elddis. Forget Elddis and take it up with the dealership and get them to do the repair under the Sale of Goods Act. If not, use the Small Claism court as more than likely they will lose as it seems you have an inherent fault in the builf of the caravan. Refer tt my post #22 again as that covers your problem. If the caravan is on finance use the financial hosue to sort out the problem.