Sign in to follow this  
rbbopa71

No Power From Battery

hi i have a bailey pageant 2004 my problem is when i take the hook up of the caravan the meter hits 0. So i think its the battery and buy a new battery and bingo its fine until the morning and i woke up to 0 again? My caravan has the battery charger in the box with all the fuses under the seat. The fuses have been checked and they seem fine, i was thinking of buying a quality battery charger to by-pass the onboard charger but then was thinking the same things going to happen? i think maybe something is draining the battery. PLEASE HELP

hi i have a bailey pageant 2004 my problem is when i take the hook up of the caravan the meter hits 0. So i think its the battery and buy a new battery and bingo its fine until the morning and i woke up to 0 again? My caravan has the battery charger in the box with all the fuses under the seat. The fuses have been checked and they seem fine, i was thinking of buying a quality battery charger to by-pass the onboard charger but then was thinking the same things going to happen? i think maybe something is draining the battery. PLEASE HELP

Hi ?????

It sounds like it is the charger. but when you say"0" what are you reading this on ? is it a multimeter or the onboard meter ?

If its the onboard one they can be unrelible but you need to get a multimeter check the exact voltage with the ecu switched off then switch on and see what |(if) any voltage is shown and what

Then report back on hear

as above . Have you got any lights on in the 'van?

Check the awning light is not on, I see them on all the time on sites.

Do you use a mover, this will pull the new battery down, did you

fully charge the new battery before going away? Is the charger

plug still in they can vibrate out. Is the master switch on.

Check behind the battery box there is usually an in line main fuse close to the battery box. It is very easy to dislodge this and it would probably produce the symptoms you describe if the charger was working but the battery was disconnected by the fuse. If you have a multimeter check the battery voltage at the battery terminals.

I have a Bailey Pageant 2007, and there is no fuse between the connection to the battery, but there is a connector. I accidentally unknowingly disconnected this when vacuuming under the seat. My cable and the connector is situated under the seat where the fuses etc. are. The cable runs in the space under the battery box and above the floor under the seat, so mine could not easily be seen.

The meter will never read zero if there is a battery connected - a battery never gets down to zero and if it just got low you would probably have difficulty getting it to charge.

Could be three things here:-

There is only one 'normal' condition when the voltmeter reads zero and that is when the main switch is off - so is everything working when you wake up and the meter reads zero? The switch does not always carry the power - it usually switches a relay in the power box so is that relay pushed fully home in its socket?

When the car is connected the habitation relay cuts in and the meter reads the car battery voltage (less cable voltage drop.) If for some reason the habitation relay is cutting in and the car is not connected then the meter would likely read zero but equally nothing (12V) in the caravan would work.

The battery fuse (15A) in the power box could be making a poor contact. Pull the fuse out and make sure it has clean contacts; there should be some marks on the fuse blade as the 'socket' has a sort of cutting effect.

If the power box is like mine the fuse socket is soldered to a printed circuit board and it is possible that there is a dry joint on the soldering - or corrosion.

If none of the above then you need to start disassembling the power box BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE COMPETENT TO DO SO. If you have any doubts call an auto or caravan electrician to check it over for you.

Edited by Woodentop

OP hasn't been back since posting so I think we should wait till they return and answer some of the follow up questions.

Some forums are quiet and so answers take some days. This forum is so active that answers come fast.