• Announcements

• BenF

Forum upgrade   12/10/17

Hi everyone, As you're probably aware, we've been in the process of upgrading the Caravan Talk forum software for a while. I can now confirm that the software has been upgraded and we're fully up to date. Please note that this new software is quite different in appearance and function, so may require a bit of relearning. We are in the process of refining the look, features and experience to make it a bit better and more familiar. If you spot any issues please let us know in the feedback forum. Unfortunately any posts between Monday morning and now have been lost. This is due to when the database snapshot was taken for the upgrade, this may also affect new members since then. We do apologise for this, but we have tried to keep disruption to a minimum. We are already aware and working on the following issues: PayPal payment issues for CT Supporters Forum design, lack of CT branding including colours Temporary loss of reviews databases Navigation bar needs refining We will keep this list up to date, so please check here before posting new updates, or to keep on tabs of our progress. The software was upgraded in order to provide you with a more secure, reliable, faster experience, whilst providing us with more tools to improve the features and options for the forum. Thank you for your continued support. Ben and the CT Team
Sign in to follow this  
djwake

All Those Adverts For "buy Your Caravan"

For a very convoluted reason, I find myself the owner of 2 caravans

Question - are any of the "guys" in the caravan press who advertise "WE WILL BUY YOUR CARAVAN" worth talking to?

Thanks

Not having had any dealings with such companies myself but my perception is that they are caravan breakers, so they won't give you a good deal as I would imagine that their margins are small.

I have sold my previous caravan on Autotrader for a lot more than I was offered on a part exchange bases.

Andrew

If you put your unwanted caravan on the market at a realistic but attractive price, it well sell. I would say half way between its dealer selling price and dealer buying price is about fair, but for that money it must be in good condition.

Having had dealings with one such company the answer is simply NO, they are not worth even thinking about.

All potential purchasers are worth investigating but be prepared for a derisory offer from the "We buy any . . . " brigade.

Having received what I consider to be an insulting offer from the "We buy any car" chaps, I kept the car and have run it for a further three years and in my opinion it is still worth much more than their offer, particularly if compared with the price others are asking for the same model and year.

Personally I would advertise your spare caravan privately but do it while the weather is still warm. You can advertise it free through our own classifieds section if you wish, or alternatively for a small fee there is always Gumtree, Ebay or the local papers.

Gordon.

I recently purchased a copy of a motorhome magazine which was laden with adverts, a large proportion of which were established motorhome dealers. All made a great deal about wanting to 'buy your motorhome', indeed a lot had taken second, third or fourth ads to stress just that. There seemed to be more space devoted to getting punters to sell them vans than on them selling new and used vans themselves.

I suspect this has something to do with the time of year and says something about the state of the motorhome market where customer demand is still high and good quality used stock is hard to find as people are hanging onto their vans once they have them.

I don't think the caravan market is in a similar boom, therefore dealers aren't pushing quite so hard for stock and it's left to the third party dealers to carry on their normal trade which means they sell on to first line dealers. That means two profit margins have to come out of one van, so generally such people will offer £4,000 to £5,000 below forecourt orice, depending how desparate they think you are to sell.

Selling privately could earn you £3,000 to £4,000 more than they'd offer.

Mind you there's always a chancer/someone who doesn't understand the market, a private seller on Autotrader is trying to shift a van like mine for £1,500 more than dealers are asking for the same model.

Mind you there's always a chance/someone who doesn't understand the market, a private seller on Autotrader is trying to shift a van like mine for £1,500 more than dealers are asking for the same model.

And they may well sell it. A few years ago I was bidding for a porch awning on fleabay. It got ridiculous, eventually going for more than the cost of a new one, plus a hefty carriage charge. The new one I bought was free delivery.

I have used the caravan club classified, if you're a member, no charge

There's someone on eBay who regularly sells Denby seconds/used stuff for more than the department stores sell brand new Denby. Presumably works on the basis that some folk won't assess the whole market.

There's someone on eBay who regularly sells Denby seconds/used stuff for more than the department stores sell brand new Denby. Presumably works on the basis that some folk won't assess the whole market.

We found that became the case with lots of china and pottery items. It was why we chose to sell off our online and mail order business three years ago, whilst it was still vaguely a going concern.

Glad we did because it wouldn't be now!

NO, NO, No

For a very convoluted reason, I find myself the owner of 2 caravans

Question - are any of the "guys" in the caravan press who advertise "WE WILL BUY YOUR CARAVAN" worth talking to?

Thanks

You thinking the same as we are

Take the insurance money sell the van as damaged

It got ridiculous, eventually going for more than the cost of a new one, plus a hefty carriage charge.

It happens a lot on ebay. Two years ago I bought a front towing cover. I used it once on my extended journey through Spain. It worked well and prevented a lot of soiling to the lower front panel but when I stopped for a night or even a couple of days, I lost the view through the windows. In the end I stopped using it. Recently I put it on ebay and had lots of interest. To my surprise I got back what I paid for it.

I think some of it is 'if it's on eBay it must be cheap' syndrome in the same way as if a sale is advertised in a shop.

I got caught or fell for it some years ago when a friend who worked for Wedgwood bought me a piece of Jasperware in their staff shop for me to give to an American friend, I was rather p'eed when I saw the same piece that I paid £40 for in the staff shop on sale in the Wedgwood shop in Las Vegas for $35.

When I bought my Lunar, I put my Coachman on eBay and expected to take a small hit. I had somebody view it who buys caravans to export to New Zealand and she reckoned it was worth what I was expecting to get. In the end it sold for MORE than what I originally paid for it. There was a similar caravan listed with damp issues (mine had no such problems) and the seller was asking nearly TWICE what I got for mine.

I think that if it's good to talk, they may well sell it.

A few years ago the local bailey dealer who had been servicing our Bailey Unicorn Madrid since new offered us £11,000 a lot less than we expected, however insisted on an inspection which we thought a bit strange as they service the caravan 3 weeks earlier and made us a provisional offer if we were interested.

The wife decided to take them up on the offer and avoid all the hassle of selling privately, when we took the caravan across they agreed it was A1 but the offer was now only £9,500 take it or leave it ( the most annoying thing they had a Unicorn Madrid same year but worse for wear on their forecourt for £15,500). We left it and sold it on preloved for £12,000, then brought a new Swift instead of a Bailey getting a good discount for no part exchange.