Sign in to follow this  
vicsimp

Should We Buy A Hobby?

We had a Hobby before our our present caravan (Avondale Dart) and it was the best van I have ever had. So much space, excellent build quality and always a pleasure to stay in. We did have the odd weird look when we were touring on some sites and at one Park Resorts site I overheard a member of staff saying "oh great, another pikeymobil". Some sites will blatantly state they don't allow "Traveller type" vans and others will ask what make of van you have on booking, this is normally a ruse so that if you say Hobby,  LMC, Fendt etc they will then make out that they don't accept twin wheel vans.  We are looking to buy another Hobby as we now have a seasonal pitch and have 2 disabled children and the Avondale just isn't up to it.

We looked very closely at the Twin Bed model, we were very impressed with the style and finish, I can honestly say it was my favourite van at the NEC last week, my second favourite was an Adria Adora Seine, again a twin bed layout,  these manufacturers are way out in front of the UK models, I have stuck with Coachman for over  20 years and we are on our fifth, but the 2018 VIP range has taken a backward step probably due to the Swift influence coming from Coachmans new MD 

So  it’s a no then stay clear of hobby 

54 minutes ago, den123 said:

No, it is not a straight answer to stay clear of Hobby vans.

I have a Hobby and it is the best van I have ever owned for staying in one piece and everything working as it should, and no leaks.

I have never had any issues getting on sites and especially if you belong to one or both Clubs there is absolutely no issue whatsoever.

Insurance through the clubs is no issue either.

I have heard of one or two commercial site that still live in the past and have refused to have any continental van on site but I have not personally had that problem.

Edited by Brecon

2 hours ago, den123 said:

If you can find the right one, go for it, theyre great vans. Definately my next van for sure when i retire next year.

Sorry to warm this one up, but here in the fatherland there is a saying:

If you want a Hobby, then buy a HOBBY !!

I have had one, ab it wasn't the bees knees at all. OK it was 10 years old, but I was always busy repairing it.

At last we have got some piece and quiet. Well thats because we bought a FENDT !!

And before anyone wants to be a smartypants. Yes, FENDT and HOBBY are owned by the same person, but the two have nothing in common......... FENDT is your Mercedes, HOBBY is your VW

Edited by farlands

There are sites in Europe that will ban Hobbys but they are a minority. The idea is that they do not want travelers, and ban the caravans they are most likely to use. Others ban twin axle models for the same reason.

The problem in this country seems to come down to a high theft rate of the big twin axles, to the point where some insurers will not cover them.

Theres a very good reason why Hobby caravans are the caravan of choice for some people that live in them 24/7, go figure!!!!

20 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Theres a very good reason why Hobby caravans are the caravan of choice for some people that live in them 24/7, go figure!!!!

It is a sort of backwards compliment. It would put me off the twin axle models though.

Edited by Wildwood

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

It is a sort of backwards compliment. It would put me off the twin axle models though.

The traveller 'aquire' them for very good reason, theyre roomy, reliable and well finished. You dont see very few Baileys and Swifts etc on their sites.

Sorry to add to the reheating of such an aged thread but I have to say it is very refreshing to hear a couple of genuine appraisals from actual Hobby owners about issues with their vans. Whilst I'm sorry they have had problems it's good to balance out the throng of "Hobbys are the best vans in the world ... never go wrong ... never have a problem ... much better than British vans which are all rubbish" comments, which to be honest is utter bovine poop.

My parents' one and only tourer was a Hobby bought new in 2003 and it was far from perfect. It suffered water ingress whilst under six months old for which it had to be returned to the one and only dealer at the time, not local. There was even Talk of it going back to the factory. The amount of ingress suggested it had been leaking from the day it was delivered. In fairness to the dealer, or whoever repaired it we never had another problem in the seven years of ownership. It did suffer from broken cupboard handles and catches, split seam on one of the seat cushions and electrical issues with the towing lights. It was far from perfect. 

We could never get on cc sites in those days who insisted all vans were parked stern on, awnings on the port side, not much use when the door is to starboard! The first we knew of this was when we turned up at a cc site in Norfolk, three family members all with their vans to be told the Hobby was not accepted. They bent the rules for us on that one occasion. It is good to hear that this seems to have been sorted. 

The final issue was selling it when after seven years occasional use my Father's failing health meant it was getting too much for him. Our three local dealers who all claim to buy vans for cash wouldn't touch it, a couple of adverts in local and trade mags bought interest only from people with strange accents who made derisory offers in cash 'and oi'll take it off yer hands now ". this led to my father commenting that if that's all he could get for it he "torch the f***ing thing in the garden and we'll toast marshmallows on it", which has become something of a family legend.  

He did eventually sell it after seeing a wanted ad in the trade press, so you could say it sold because, rather than is spite of being a Hobby, but it took more than a year to get rid of it. He openly regretted buying it and wished he'd gone with the other option, an ex display Coachman which was 6k cheaper than the Hobby, before adding circa 2k to the list price for extras like fridge ilo cool box, oven and shower which were not specced "ex works"

6 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

The traveller 'aquire' them for very good reason, theyre roomy, reliable and well finished. You dont see very few Baileys and Swifts etc on their sites.

It’s because they’re (relatively) cheap, the younger less affluent travellers caravan of choice. Drive through France and most travellers buy higher end caravans such as Tabbert or Fendt.

Here in Germany Hobby caravan’s are considered ‘lower/mid range’ in terms of price/quality.

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

It’s because they’re (relatively) cheap, the younger less affluent travellers caravan of choice. Drive through France and most travellers buy higher end caravans such as Tabbert or Fendt.

Here in Germany Hobby caravan’s are considered ‘lower/mid range’ in terms of price/quality.

Apparently they dont tend to be purchased in the UK.........

10 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Apparently they dont tend to be purchased in the UK.........

While in my opinion Hobby caravans are perfectly good family caravans, not all UK insurance companies will cover them, presumably because of the perceived risk of theft.

Hello Euro Hobby van owners.  We have a double Hobby Van with the following accessories Air con, toilet/Shower, TV, and alloy wheels. In addition we have installed a 40 lite water tank under the front of the van, replaced the electrical wiring by an auto electrician, installed a Sirocca fan inside, had the gas regulators changed to comply with QLD regsa as well as NSW. We have had the ATM legally increased by 200kg to 1060kgs. It was purchased new for $36 Feb 2018 and delivered and registered Apr 2018. In two years, my wife and I have been away for a total of 3 weeks and only in Caravan Parks, so basically as new. In hindsight, we would have been better with two single beds as we are seniors.  Consequently I would like to swap our van with a similar van with the 'point of sale' additions, but with single beds.  What do you think? Fair swap?  Be polite if you think I'm dreaming, I'm a retired vet and well mannered. We live in Singleton NSW and are willing to travel if that suits.  Respectfully Marty Pall  

Welcome to our great forum and I guess you are looking to change your Hobby and are willing to travel. 

The majority of our members are UK based so it is a long way to travel! 

I have removed your telephone number as we don't allow showing email or tel numbers on this open forum. It is best to use the Personal Messenger (PM) for member to member communication. 

Best of luck 🤞 

3 hours ago, WispMan said:

Welcome to our great forum and I guess you are looking to change your Hobby and are willing to travel. 

The majority of our members are UK based so it is a long way to travel! 

I have removed your telephone number as we don't allow showing email or tel numbers on this open forum. It is best to use the Personal Messenger (PM) for member to member communication. 

Best of luck 🤞 

I think that they are in New South Wales in Australia which is why they used the $ sign?

Not sure how many people have a Hobby in your area, but I would think the chances of anyone having a similar model with your extras and the layout you want and them also wanting to exchange for yours is unlikely.

40 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I think that they are in New South Wales in Australia which is why they used the $ sign?

Hence my post! 

BUY a Hobby?? 

I thought a Hobby was something you DID, like train spotting :D :D :rolleyes::rolleyes: ;) ;)

I’ll leave now shall ? 

Andy

Please.     By the back door too. 

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

BUY a Hobby?? 

I thought a Hobby was something you DID, like train spotting :D :D :rolleyes::rolleyes: ;) ;)

I’ll leave now shall ? 

Andy

The big H gives it away :rolleyes: