Sign in to follow this  
vicsimp

Should We Buy A Hobby?

We are a family of 5, with 3 children under 4 1/2. Staying in a hotel is proving to be fairly costly, and somewhat stressful at times! So we are looking at becoming caravan owners! We have looked at the hobby, because it looks to be a high standard, and also has bunk beds, which can be sectioned off. Could people please let me know the pros and cons of buying a hobby, or if we should be looking at other makes? I have heard that some caravan sites won't allow Hobby's in. ...is this true? Or are they better now?

I was talking to someone the other day and he bought a Hobby and every site he went to got funny looks and not treated right, apparently a lot of travellers use them, I don't know if that is true, but he felt that was the reason he was treated different.

I'm guessing if someone uses a caravan they are living in full time then they can't be that bad.

It is only some sites that are not keen on a Hobby. The other thing is their size and weight so you need to check this out along with your proposed towcar, before you put the money down.

Whatever you decide, sit in tbe van, work out how you will eat and sit and most importantly, sleep. Some 5 berths are OK for young children and you, but don't suit sleeping a full size adult.

Do your homework but most of all, enjoy the process of deciding as a family what you want.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We are a family of 5, with 3 children under 4 1/2. Staying in a hotel is proving to be fairly costly, and somewhat stressful at times! So we are looking at becoming caravan owners! We have looked at the hobby, because it looks to be a high standard, and also has bunk beds, which can be sectioned off. Could people please let me know the pros and cons of buying a hobby, or if we should be looking at other makes? I have heard that some caravan sites won't allow Hobby's in. ...is this true? Or are they better now?

I have certainly seen some sites state 'we don't accept Hobby 'type' caravans in their booking conditions. Quite what a hobby 'type' caravan is I couldn't really say. As to whether it's right or wrong for them to state that is a whole different subject.

However there are loads of large family sized vans of five or six berth not made by hobby to choose from so you can eliminate the problem straight away.

Do you all have Hobby's or do you have something else?

Hobby caravans are well made. Hobby is the largest caravan maker in the world so they know what they're doing. We have a Hobby motor caravan which is now 18 years old and it is great. We have a Swift caravan almost 6 months old and it isn't! I think there is a lot of nonesense spoken about Hobby caravans being unwelcome on some sites - usually by people who don't like anyone to have something different to them. If you find a nice Hobby that meets you're needs, go ahead and buy it.

Ern

You can see what van we have from the profile under our name. Generally on this forum, the members are not anti-Hobby and so we don't agree with the sites that restrict Hobbys.

I now realise your tow car should pull almost anything!

• Like 1

Graham

You can see what van we have from the profile under our name. Generally on this forum, the members are not anti-Hobby and so we don't agree with the sites that restrict Hobbys.

I now realise your tow car should pull almost anything!

On a point of order sir, not if you are using the mobile version of the forum you can't.

What's the tow car?

Merc GL.

(Don't call me Sir. You can call me Mr. Wispman :D)

Graham

Sorry. .. I'm new to this site, just working it out as I go along!

Don't apologise!

Graham

Was lookng at our new caravan model the other day and overheard the dealer say they wouldnt take a German caravan in part exchange. Anyone know why?

Everything goes to Entropy . ......... In this world.

Hobby caravans are well made. Hobby is the largest caravan maker in the world so they know what they're doing. We have a Hobby motor caravan which is now 18 years old and it is great. We have a Swift caravan almost 6 months old and it isn't! I think there is a lot of nonesense spoken about Hobby caravans being unwelcome on some sites - usually by people who don't like anyone to have something different to them. If you find a nice Hobby that meets you're needs, go ahead and buy it.

I don't talk nonsense though when I have actually seen that hobby 'type' caravans are not allowed on certain sites.

The number of sites that state this is possibly very small but they exist none the less.

As I said though the justification for it is questionable.

A site local to us does not allow 'vans with panel sides' as tow vehicles. Again they are probably in the very small minority but such restrictions do exist.

Was lookng at our new caravan model the other day and overheard the dealer say they wouldnt take a German caravan in part exchange. Anyone know why?

Possibly because they are harder to sell? Door? Fewer facilities to cook? Who knows?

Graham

A perception they are harder to sell on perhaps?

As to the justification for that perception, who knows?

Firstly because they are much better built than UK built vans and would show up the shoddy offerings by UK makers!!!

Also, German, or indeed European made vans tend to have the entry door on the "wrong" side of the van and as such are perceived to be more difficult to sell on.

As far the Original Poster is concerned, if you like the Hobby and it is suitable to be towed by your car and your licence entitlement, then go for it.

If you join the Caravan Club or Camping and Caravanning Club (or both) then you do not run into the problem of not being allowed on site as they BOTH accept Hobby vans .

Some commercial sites do not like them, that's their loss.

As far as travellers using them, you will find that most travellers now use Bailey or Swift vans (probably because they are easier to steal and hide on their sites).

• Like 1

Firstly because they are much better built than UK built vans and would show up the shoddy offerings by UK makers!!!

Also, German, or indeed European made vans tend to have the entry door on the "wrong" side of the van and as such are perceived to be more difficult to sell on.

As far the Original Poster is concerned, if you like the Hobby and it is suitable to be towed by your car and your licence entitlement, then go for it.

If you join the Caravan Club or Camping and Caravanning Club (or both) then you do not run into the problem of not being allowed on site as they BOTH accept Hobby vans .

As far as travellers using them, you will find that most travellers now use Bailey or Swift vans (probably because they are easier to steal and hide on their sites).

Interesting last paragraph.

What exactly is it about a Swift or a Bailey that makes it easier to steal than a Hobby.

Genuine question.

Strange they are not more profilic espeacially after all the problems with our Uk vans.

Everything goes to Entropy . ......... In this world.

"Also, German, or indeed European made vans tend to have the entry door on the "wrong" side of the van and as such are perceived to be more difficult to sell on"

I was told that as the soft furnishings don't comply with UK fire retardant regs they can't sell them.

knarf

"Also, German, or indeed European made vans tend to have the entry door on the "wrong" side of the van and as such are perceived to be more difficult to sell on"

I was told that as the soft furnishings don't comply with UK fire retardant regs they can't sell them.

knarf

So how come they can be sold when new then?

Again a genuine question.

Speaking to the sales person yesterday, there seems to be a British standard which they are selling over here, so maybe they have sorted the fire regs?

Hobbies specifically made for the UK market must comply with the regs,a lot of Hobbies are imported from Germany and don't comply with UK regs

knarf

Edited by KNARF

Hobbies specifically made for the UK market must comply with the regs,a lot of Hobbies are imported from Germany and don't comply with UK regs

knarf

A comment which could be applied to most if not all continental manufacturers?

Each Hobby I have owned has ben fully compliant with fire regulations and all other UK requirements.

If you buy from a reputable dealer they should have sorted out the minor changes needed, like fitting a secondary fog light to comply with UK regs as the European need is for the fog light to be on the opposite side of the van, as they drive on the "other" side of the road.

Also changing the elecrical sockets to UK type insted of EU type, or providing the correct adaptors.

My workmate spends 6 months in the UK and then goes abroad back packing for 6 months in our winter.

When here he uses his Hobby on a local site to live in with his partner. He hasn't a bad word to say about it, very well made by all accounts!.

Incidentally he owns a house but chooses to rent it out.

I've heard the same thing about Hobby's not being allowed on sites but this seems to be hearsay going by this post?.

His van weighs over 2 tonnes though, and he's never towed it anywhere. .